Summer system

Could a fleece liner be used as a stand alone sleep system in the summer? I like this idea because of the dual purpose of adding it to my 20F bag in the winter and saves me from buying a whole new bag. What do you all think? And what are your warmer weather sleeping systems and tricks?

JRMiller

WKR
Welcome to RS.
In the summer alone you could, but the warmth to weight ratio is somewhat poor on fleece liners.
Most weigh around a pound but provide little warmth standalone.
If you just slept with with softshell pants and a puffy jacket alone on you’d probably do better.
Not that you should.
I prefer the Escape Bivy by SOL. It weighs a half pound, and has much better heat retention qualities compared to a fleece.
And when your not quite sure how cold a trip will be you can bring it along with your sleeping bag and slip inside both if you need to.
It would take your 20 degree bag down to about a 5-10.
And unlike many bivys the Escape actually breaths. SOL has several other survival blankets/bivys but the Escape is the only one that breaths which is a must.
Its only downside is its not as comfortable as fleece alone.

skierhs

WKR
Could a fleece liner be used as a stand alone sleep system in the summer? I like this idea because of the dual purpose of adding it to my 20F bag in the winter and saves me from buying a whole new bag. What do you all think? And what are your warmer weather sleeping systems and tricks?
Really is dependent on temps and weather. If I’m at 13k in Colorado on the side of a mountain it likely wouldn’t be enough if the wind is strong or if I’m not using a tent. It’s definitely doable but you just have to make sure you’re aware of what you’re going into and what else you’re using for a sleep system (ie tent, pad, campsite exposure, and weather).