Summit SS-P Leg Sections

Drenalin

WKR
How do you remove the lower sections? And did you reattach the knurled rubber feet or replace them with a cap? I assume the leg sections would unscrew with enough torque, but I didn’t want to start cranking on them and break something without confirming.

22lr

WKR
I have the hi-country, and there were 2 little tabs to unclick. For the feet, I just used electrical tape to make sure dirt didn't get up in there. I had to youtube it, but once I saw how the tabs worked it was super easy.

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
Closing the loop on this. The Summit SS-P tripod has the twist-lock legs rather than flick locks. They're held together by little plastic sleeves at each leg-to-leg connection. Thanks to @TravisIN for the tip - if you put some heat on them at those sleeves, the legs slide right out. I think he used a torch, I used a BRS stove. Each of us ended up capping the legs with trekking pole caps.

I removed the lower two leg sections, and also took the hook off the center post. I left the stud in place in case I ever wanted or needed to put the hook back on for stability. For now, using this strictly as a sitting tripod for 10x42s, I think I'm good. Here's the final weight on mine with the QR plate:

Tripod Weight.jpg

I've seen advertised weights on this tripod of 32 ounces, and I was hoping to take 4 ounces off of that. Either I was optimistic, or the advertised weight is off. It's still not bad for a tripod with a pan head, but I'm probably going to be in the market for a KDC tripod soon for binos only.

Thanks for closing the loop on this...I had seen this post before and was curious. For reference, mine comes in at 36 oz with the hook removed. I can't imagine removing the lower legs would get me all the way down to 30 oz. How much did the lower leg sections weigh? I'm considering "lower" being the bottom-most three legs + leg cap.

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
Thanks for closing the loop on this...I had seen this post before and was curious. For reference, mine comes in at 36 oz with the hook removed. I can't imagine removing the lower legs would get me all the way down to 30 oz. How much did the lower leg sections weigh? I'm considering "lower" being the bottom-most three legs + leg cap.
I didn’t do a “before” weight, so I’m sure of the actual weight on the leg sections I removed. I did the two lower sections on all three legs. I think a good percentage of the weight loss probably came from the original leg caps.