Sun burn in the high country?

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
So I'll be in New Mexico in 10 days and was just wondering if any of you guys ever get sunburned when hunting at higher elevations? I won't be hunting really high, probably around 7,000-9,000 feet and was thinking if I sit in the sun all day I might get a little red. I'm just curious if this is something to consider or not. Thanks.

It is something to consider. Many people will use a gaitor around their neck or neck/face/ears to protect their exposed skin from sunburn. Another option is to use a shemagh.

mtnkid85

WKR
Agreed. I just about always try to wear SPF30 when in the mountains. Of course Im a blonde white kid who burns, peels then goes right back to burn, peel ect.
I just use the little "travel sized" squeeze containers if Im going out of a pack. Wear a hat to help shade the ears, nose seems to help too.

Never pack it. I usually got a decent tan on my exposed skin by the time Sept rolls around so its not really a problem for me.

Mike

mtbshark

WKR
man this is a great topic.

i went on my first non bird hunt a few weeks back looking for elk, and i am a white kid. The guy that i went with is scent police so no sunblock!
I need sunblock, anyone out there know of a scent free sunblock or do you all say self preservation and just deal with a slight scent!

thanks

BuckSnort

WKR
I don't go crazy with scent control...I just worry about staying upwind whenever possible...I also can't stand sunscreen..I will use it when I have to but I would much rather wear more clothing..I just cant stand the oily feeling of it, especially on my hands.. It also eats plastic, I found that out after it destroyed a favorite pair of sunglasses...

in the spring and early summer sunburn is a big issue for me but as some have said, by the time hunting season rolls around my exposed areas are sitting ok. ive been looking for a large brimmed hat to provide shade for early in the year but havent found anything to fit my needs

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It also eats plastic, I found that out after it destroyed a favorite pair of sunglasses...

Uughh,

I have not heard of this with sunscreen before. I would love to know which type to avoid. Did it have DEET in it? I have melted a few watches and other plastic items with DEET before.

Sawyer makes a good sunscreen I use in the high country.

BuckSnort

WKR
Uughh,

I have not heard of this with sunscreen before. I would love to know which type to avoid. Did it have DEET in it? I have melted a few watches and other plastic items with DEET before.

Sawyer makes a good sunscreen I use in the high country.

I don't remember which brand it was sorry.. I do know that it was one of the spray on sunscreens..

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My nose is the only piece that I really have to take care of. It tends to get light reflected from the sun glasses a bit, occasionally an issue.

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
Sunscreen is a must in my book. And a hat. And often a shemagh or a Buff. Then again, I turn red, burst into flames, peel and repeat.