Sunglasses for Sheep Hunting

Can’t go wrong with Costa, you would be surprised how much they help.

I must say, I was surprised. I picked them up because my current pair was a bit heavy and I wanted something lightweight for running. The vision improvement was pretty impressive.

Every few years I end up replacing my "driving" sun glasses because they occasionally get dropped and scratched, etc. and after a while I get tired of looking through scratched up lens'. Several years ago, I did this a little prematurely (replaced my glasses before they were very messed up at all), then designated my old glasses to my hunting gear. So, my hunting sun glasses are in pretty decent shape, although it wouldn't break my heart if something happened to them, and they're super light wt., because I always buy the lightest wt. I can find for comfort reasons. Polarized, amber, Maui Jim's are what's in my gear pile right now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not trying to sound like a smart add but I can’t think of a single reason to use any sunglasses I wouldn’t wear otherwise.

mom an Oakley fan, so whatever oakleys I currently have are what I’ll wear hunting.

I only wear Maui Jim. While I usually take a pair with me on all of my hunts, it is very very rare for me to actually wear them while hunting. It is PITA to glass with them and that's pretty much what I do from before dawn to end of legal light.

Vandy321

WKR
Not sure it's been said, too much reading, but if you plan to glass alot while moving, glasses are a pain in the a$$...take them off, place on cranium, pull up binos, glass, put binos away, drop glasses on rocks trying to put them back on, curse, rinse and repeat. I good hat will be much less of a pain. They're just one more thing to lose or break. A requirement for fishing, not so much for hunting, IMHO.

If you do buy glasses, not sure brand has anything to do with it, buy what fits your face comfortably, and decide whether polarized is your thing.

I think the amber colored Maui's seem to help make white dots on mountains more visible. I also wear contacts and like to keep my sunglasses on to keep blowing dust out of my eyes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MtGomer

WKR
When I was a kid we were on horseback in the Bob Marshall and my parents’ friend got a stick that flew back at him, lodged in his eye. He damn near lost his eye and the trip was ruined.
I wear sunglasses when beating brush because of that experience.
Usually just the cheap (free) safety sunglasses I can grab by the handful at work.

It doesn't matter how tough you are, all our eyes are easily injured if not careful

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
C Bow

C Bow

WKR
I really appreciate everyone and their input. I wear sunglasses sometimes when driving but not alot and I know the ones I have would never survive a sheep hunting trip. I am going to invest in a new pair that would be more durable. Thanks again for all the input

Bambistew

WKR
On my last sheep hunt, my guide told me that sunglasses were the equivalent of a banana on a fishing boat. If you are aware of that superstition.

I never wear them when I'm hunting. Too annoying trying to use them with binocs. If I did wear them, I would wear Serengeti Maestrale with polarized Sedona or drivers lenses.

Jeremy

Dang... never heard that one. I always take sunglasses, and the sheep die every time. I had snow blindness one time due to forgetting my glasses. Not being able to see, and having my eyes hurt for a few days is something to consider.

I wear regular glasses, and don't have an issue with using binos, just push them up.

Wapiti1

WKR
It was a fun comment from a guide, I thought. I did have sunglasses on that hunt, but they stayed in my luggage at his house.

I've only been there for hunting in late Sept, and there has been little danger of needing sunglasses. Seeing the actual sun hasn't been common in the two trips I've made. On fishing trips earlier in the year, they have been used. For an early season sheep hunt, I'd take them.

It's just my preference to not use them hunting. I grew up with glasses, got Lasik and that was one thing that I hated when I wore glasses, among other things.

Jeremy

Maui Jim -- As other have said, by far my favorite pair and by far the highest quality. I would never in a million years take an expensive pair of sunglasses hunting though, and expensive these are.

Costa's -- My original favorite for hunting, and incumbent favorite for fishing. Very tough wearing plastic frames, blue lenses are phenomenal for fishing, brown lenses are phenomenal for hunting. I kept searching for something else for hunting though, as I find the frames bulky and heavy after a few hours.

Pit Viper's -- Oorah Polarized Model -- My new favorite for hunting (and yardwork). Relatively cheap ($80.00), Z871+ impact rated, brown polarized polycarbonate lenses, side shades, olive drab, super adjustable, super light, and VERY hard to fog up. Brush Busting, Cliffs, Weed-Whacker Propelled Rocks, etc. have put some shallow scratches in the lenses, but that's about it after a year of hard abuse.

I will warn you, the Pit Viper website, marketing emails (do not subscribe...), and brand in general are obnoxious as hell, but they are very solid glasses for how cheap they are.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Maui Jim -- As other have said, by far my favorite pair and by far the highest quality. I would never in a million years take an expensive pair of sunglasses hunting though, and expensive these are.

Costa's -- My original favorite for hunting, and incumbent favorite for fishing. Very tough wearing plastic frames, blue lenses are phenomenal for fishing, brown lenses are phenomenal for hunting. I kept searching for something else for hunting though, as I find the frames bulky and heavy after a few hours.

Pit Viper's -- Oorah Polarized Model -- My new favorite for hunting (and yardwork). Relatively cheap ($80.00), Z871+ impact rated, brown polarized polycarbonate lenses, side shades, olive drab, super adjustable, super light, and VERY hard to fog up. Brush Busting, Cliffs, Weed-Whacker Propelled Rocks, etc. have put some shallow scratches in the lenses, but that's about it after a year of hard abuse.

I will warn you, the Pit Viper website, marketing emails (do not subscribe...), and brand in general are obnoxious as hell, but they are very solid glasses for how cheap they are.

Those pit vipers are hilarious!!! What the hell??? Lol.

The only time I wear sunglasses, while sheep hunting, is when busting through alders. Otherwise, they’re annoying to deal with while moving and glassing.

The best sunglasses are the really cheap rimless/frameless models. They weigh next to nothing, seem to fog up less while sweating and it’s no big deal if they get trashed and you end up chucking them.

Spy Anglers are light and come with a strap. Only shades that work with my square head and round face. Not super dark, which I definitely prefer.

Glacier glasses may be required on some of the crazier hunts but I've never been on one like that. Julbos are solid per dollar.

slvrslngr

WKR
Oddly enough, my daily sunnies are cheapo Berkeley Gulps I buy at Wally World for $10. The lens quality is surprisingly good, they’re light, cheap and I don’t cry when I loose or break em.

OP
C Bow

C Bow

WKR
Thanks to everyone for input. I ended up getting some Costas prescription and I am glad. They are must better than my Ray Bans