Sunscreen on hunt

BSU2019

FNG
Long time lurker, first time posting.

On backpack hunts or any hunts that you guys are rolling without a trailer/shower and are only bathing by baby wipes and wash clothes ect. are you guys still wearing sunscreen every day? If so what brands are you using? Maybe I'm overthinking it but wearing sunscreen on my face every day for 7 days along with not showering seems a little sketchy. Looking forward to your inputs.

jdeanwvu

FNG
I normally only wear light weight long sleeve merino base layers with a light weight aerowool neck gaiter from First Lite. They block the sun well and keep you warm in the cold and cool when its hot. I also always carry Chapstick with spf 15 in it. If I feel like my nose and ears are getting blasted i'll schmear a little on them.

kiddogy

WKR
Long time lurker, first time posting.

On backpack hunts or any hunts that you guys are rolling without a trailer/shower and are only bathing by baby wipes and wash clothes ect. are you guys still wearing sunscreen every day? If so what brands are you using? Maybe I'm overthinking it but wearing sunscreen on my face every day for 7 days along with not showering seems a little sketchy. Looking forward to your inputs.
naw , sun screen is for lil girlies.😁😁

D16er

Lil-Rokslider
I hate wearing sunscreen, when I do I start feeling all the dust and dirt that the sunscreen seemed to hold on to. Curious to know the thoughts on hunting with sunscreen on? I have always stayed away from it because of possible sent. I too do what another member stated which is wearing a First Lite Merino Neck Gaiter, that does the trick 90% of the time for me.

I live in Virginia and do enough offshore fishing that I'm already tanned and non vulnerable to getting burned when hunting out West in August or September.

But, the way that offshore fishermen keep from getting burned is to use these "shields". They're not much different than the neck gaiters by Kuiu, FL, etc. Except that the shield is meant to keep you from getting burned while keeping you cool. They are full synthetic and the breeze blows through.

They take some time to get used to. But they are a great option if you (like me) hate smearing on sunblock.

Here is the website to see what's available. I strongly suggest buying the SA brand and not a cheap knockoff. They are only $7-8 each on EBay. You don't want your ears to look like bacon.

https://safishing.com/

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
NO-AD sunscreen is pretty good. Not greasy.

I typically wear a first lite wool face mask thingy. Got used to wearing it during turkey season and it’s just as easy to wear it as not now.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Maybe I'm overthinking it but wearing sunscreen on my face every day for 7 days along with not showering seems a little sketchy.

We're out there hunting and sweating through our clothes every day for days on end. Why would adding sunscreen to the mix make it sketchy?

jsb

FNG
I wear it always. I try to use scentless sunscreen, but kind of figure if the elk smells the sunscreen he can probably smell the rest of me too so what's the difference. Not getting skin cancer is more important to me than getting an elk. Hate the way my face feels after a long day afield without sunscreen.

Bring some camp soap and wash your face at night if you're concerned about having it on for so long. Not a bad idea anyway.

Gumbo

WKR
I live dangerously. I rarely am exposed enough to get any burns while hunting, plus I hate the greasy stuff after a few days of use and no shower. I wear a Sitka LW Core Hoody and hat and try not to glass with the sun beaming on me. But then again the only toiletry I use on extended hunts is toilet paper, or the occasional wet wipe (I usually bring a few in a Ziploc but they more often than not go unused). I just embrace the stink and funk for the most part while hunting. I don't even bring a toothbrush or soap on backpack hunts.

cmahoney

WKR
I guess it depends on what you are doing. Sitting at 9500 feet all day looking through my binos is when I’m mostly diligent about wearing sunscreen everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pepe55

FNG
Dead downwind makes the one I use, like most comment that's the least of your scent worries

Ungulates can see in the visible and UV spectrum. Sunscreen absorbs UV light. It's basically UV camo paint.

Of course, it is probably only a matter of time before the woke crowd accuses sunscreen users of being super secret UV racists with UV blackface.

Mosby

WKR
I use to hate wearing sunscreen when I was younger. Went skiing a couple days a week. Fishing and trips to the beach not to mention hunting. Then I started having surgeries for skin cancer. Had about 10 spots removed in the last year and a half. Normally incisions are about 1 to 2 inches long. If I had to guess, I would say I have had over 40 spots removed in the last 20 years. Maybe more. I've lost count.

It isn't fun guys. Wear fuking sun screen. Trust me.

You can get small tubes of 55 to 70 spf. Put on face, neck and ears before you leave in morning. Wear sun glasses. Wear hats. Take a tube in pack. Reapply frequently. If you are hunting at altitude it is even more important.

I use to hate wearing sunscreen when I was younger. Went skiing a couple days a week. Fishing and trips to the beach not to mention hunting. Then I started having surgeries for skin cancer. Had about 10 spots removed in the last year and a half. Normally incisions are about 1 to 2 inches long. If I had to guess, I would say I have had over 40 spots removed in the last 20 years. Maybe more. I've lost count.

It isn't fun guys. Wear fuking sun screen. Trust me.

You can get small tubes of 55 to 70 spf. Put on face, neck and ears before you leave in morning. Wear sun glasses. Wear hats. Take a tube in pack. Reapply frequently. If you are hunting at altitude it is even more important.
I had a grandpa who would get his skin cancer spots removed right before Halloween then dress up like Freddy Krueger.

ebubedike

FNG
I use sunscreen most days of my life. I live and work on the coast of NC so it's a must when working outside plus I'm fair skinned and have already had several skin cancers removed. I use Banana Boat Sport 30 spf. I have tried the 50 spf but I can't tell any difference. I put it on and let it dry in before dressing and it stays most of the day. Very sweat proof and waterproof once dry. I will reapply around the face if I sweat much. I tried generics but have not gotten the performance I need.