Super down vs primaloft

Yukondog

WKR
I have been programmed to think down is a no no for hunting. These new down products fro KUIU have got my attention. Worried about durability and how to clean when soiled. I also assume these are not to be used as outerwear. The pants look awesome for treestand hunting.

Who is ready to take the jump and stop using primaloft as your main insulation layer? I have always thought it is hard to beat what nature gives us, but when wet down can kill you.

How many washes can these garments take before they would become dangerous? I do want to buy some, but nerves have the best of me. Perhaps I go with the 185, 250 and spindrift covered with guide jacket and pants this year and see how cold I get in mid teens with wind in the treestand this year. If I freeze maybe take the plunge after feed back from those using the new gear this year.

Any thoughts on the new 230 shirt as well?

Thanks,

Matt

I am very interested in both myself. I ordered a 230 Zip-T tonight so I will report back on that one. Guys were discussing the down vest and i have one that I use regulary here in colorado. MY marmot Vest is 800 fill and weighs in at 10 oz. The new pullover down from KUIU weighs in at 7 oz. Something that I might add to the layering system.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am very interested in the Pullover. I hate hoods! I don't think there will be a problem with washing the down, if done right. I have a Marmot Vest that I have use hard for over 5 years, been washed at least 20 times with no problems.

I think the 230 will stink. I remember the UA stuff with sliver crap in it. After one hard day in the field, it stank just like the regular UA. If I was going to buy heavy weight merino I would go with First Lite. Kuiu make awesome outerwear. But First Lite merino just seem thicker and softer to me.

Ryan,

I was thinking the same thing about the 230 piece from KUIU. If worn OVER a next to the skin layer it should perform as described (i.e., no stink) but if I have poly next to my skin then I can't see how it wouldn't develop an odor.

Larry

Rizzy

WKR
I'm curious about washing this stuff also. I have had my guide jacket for 2 seasons now and have washed it a lot, it still beads up the water same as did when it was new. My spindrift on the other hand I have not even washed yet.....

I own most of the gear from KUIU but I will not buy their Merino... The First Lite merino wool has my vote when it comes to base layers/mid weight layers.

How would you reccomend washing the new down products from KUIU? A wash machine or by hand? I usually just wash my Big Agnes down bag by hand and have had no problems thus far. Though it's never gotten really dirty or stained with blood :)

Lawnboi

WKR
The only thing that is a concern of mine about the new down is how long the water repellent coating on the down will last. Like i said in another thread, id like to see them wash a jacket 10 times then see if the down still holds its repellency.

Is Super Down the new stuff that is supposed to be water repellent ? I'm curious how that treatment will hold up over time