Super Light Kimber Montana

bmicek

WKR
So I’ve seen a post or two on here about guys doing extra steps to further lighten their Kimber Montana. Has anyone else done anything to theirs? I’m aware of the titanium bolt handle and aluminum trigger guard to shave weight. Aside from fluting the bolt, everything else seems pretty dang expensive to shave ounces. What have you done to shave mere ounces?

At some point a guy questions whether it’s practical but for now, it’s something fun to mess with, just curious more than anything.

wildcat33

WKR
I replaced the bolt handle with the 24hr CF Ti handle, replaced the steel trigger guard with a mtn ascent from kimber, and have the bolt off at Kampfeld custom at the moment for fluting. Will report back the weight loss.

So far the trigger guard and bolt handle change is just 2.6 oz. Add maybe 3/4oz for the bolt. Lotta work for not much....

depending on the caliber, you may come out ahead to sell it and get a mountain ascent or Adirondack. My buddy shoots an Adirondack in 6.5 creed. I have put it on a scale but I bet it is just under or over 6# with his scope. Feels like a BB gun And shoots pretty well.

OP
B

bmicek

WKR
Probably biggest savings is mpi micro stock
I looked into this option a bit. Waiting to hear back on a price quote. I also read of one guy that wasn’t pleased with his as well... wish there was more info on them

coues32

WKR
I have one lw not the micro pretty rough but thats what it is.
What caliber are you using?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I swapped out the bolt handle on mine. The trigger guard that came on my montana was already aluminum so I didn't see any point in swapping it out. The only other thing I'd like to do is shorten my barrel a few inches at somepoint.

Mine weighs 5lb 14oz with the scope/rings.

I cut the barrel to 21 inches and had it rebored to 338-06 in addition to the bolt handle and trigger guard. It comes in at 5 pounds flat after bedding.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Chopping the barrel gets you about 3/4 ounce per inch. Wish somebody made a Ti mag box for them, as much for corrosion as for weight.

Edit: 3/4 ounces per inch. I wrongly wrote 1/4 ounce earlier.

Last edited:
bd72fe200775969261055a1f52329d38.jpg

Here’s a 338 federal with brake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk