Super light, super right condition back up?

amp713

WKR
So I run a luxe hexpeak tipi and love it but I've been really debating getting a small lightweight piece to always have with for times when the weather is good and I dont want to take time to set up or even for times when the weather is not horrible but its hard to find a good flat spot big enough....

I've looked at flat tarps as well as some bivies and I'm really leaning towards the recon bivy from E.E.. less than half a pound, 150 bucks, pack a up small and I could pair it with the tipi for increased weather and bug protection.

Curious if there are other similarly priced lightweight bivies worth looking into and also if anyone tried going this sort of route and ended up going to a small flat tarp instead. I've been torn between the bivy and tarp thing due to the versatility of a tarp but at the same time I think the bivy is a bit "more" shelter wise.

Just one of those things I keep mulling over and never deciding so figured I'd get outside input.

*zap*

WKR
Looks to me like that will give you good protection from bugs and standing/running water and it should not have any condensation troubles. Maybe try to find a used/good condition one to try? Don't work and you sell it with a small/no loss.

mt100gr.

WKR
This year I started using a SO DST tarp for pretty much everything until the weather got beyond iffy. Not as light as just a bivy but it's really versatile. You can really button it up for bad weather or pitch it open for simple shelter. We used it a ton for glassing in bad weather this year too.

There's a great thread in "sleep systems" forum, I believe, covering all the ways this tarp can be used.

Borah gear makes some great light weight options you should look into. I have delt with him and he has great customer service and will make anything you want.

Since you have the Luxe Hexapeak - have you thought about one of their “nests”?

One person (lightweight):

Half-Hex Inner Tents (1-Person) for Tipis

– Luxe Hiking Gear

Or you could get the Heaxapeak 2.5 Nest, but it’s heavier:

2.5-Person Inner Tent for Hexpeak XL

– Luxe Hiking Gear

I have a Seek Outside Nest for my SO 4-Man Tipi and it sets up separately with one (1) trekking pole. Set it up separately in 70* weather and it was awesome!

Adding a Nest makes your Tipi more versatile since it can also can be used separately - I love mine. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

In the Rokslide Classifieds right now for $40 shipped. Brand new and ~17 ounces:

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/rokslide-classifieds/114900-luxe-pyramid-inner-tent-40-tyd.html?highlight=Luxe

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Ya I've actually grown to know the owner of luxe pretty well over the last year but I really was hoping for something lighter and that is really small to pack around. I saw that one in classifieds and was tempted but you sharing it is a sign I might need to get it haha it's not exactly what I'm after but that may be nice to have for the wife and kids