Super Tarp Annex with stove

Rocky

WKR
I’m curious about what temps you can sleep in with this set up. I know it is rated for four seasons, but I was wondering if someone had some temps and weather conditions to speak about to help me understand the rating better. Another question is how long does the stove burn if you "fill it". Basically I froze the other day so I’m looking into the annex and stove option since I already have the tarp.

Thanks

dotman

WKR
Stove burn times vary by size, my cylinder ti-goat burns about 25 -30min.

Last edited:
The stove burn time depends on the type and size of the stove and the quality of the wood available.Usually it will burn pretty hot for 15-20 minutes.The biggest advantage of the system for me is that I can get enough heat to dry things out.The wood stove is not a substitute for an adequate sleeping bag though.
Tim

OP
Rocky

Rocky

WKR
The stove burn time depends on the type and size of the stove and the quality of the wood available.Usually it will burn pretty hot for 15-20 minutes.The biggest advantage of the system for me is that I can get enough heat to dry things out.The wood stove is not a substitute for an adequate sleeping bag though.
Tim

I totally agree. I'm also looking into a new bag :)

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
The stove will not burn all night on a single load of wood so your sleep system must be able to keep you warm. With that said an Annex and stove is a great addition for cold weather. I've slept in a Paratipi (similar to a Super Tarp + Annex) in temps down to 12 below 0. A small Kifaru box stove easily kept the Paratipi in the 50s when it was below 0 outside. You can arrange the stove and wood so it can be lit in the morning without having to get out of your sleeping bag. Its nice to get dressed and eat breakfast in a warm shelter.

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was in -10 degree weather last year in a Megatarp and medium stove and the tent was plenty warm, but you need to think ahead when doing so.

Have a high quality bag

Pile up as much would as you possibly can

Have kindling prepped for the next morning ahead of time

Position stove, wood, sleeping bag and gear to where you can feed the stove from sleeping position

Find the best/most efficient burning wood possible

Have a proven fire starter with you (I like trioxane)

Rotate wet wood around the stove to let dry

I like to set aside a few pcs. of tree bark just small enough to fit through the stove door.That way I can set my whole fire starter up on them.I just flick my lighter and slip the piece of bark through the door and the fire will take off.

You could sleep in a super tarp in the lowest temps you could possibly sleep in. It comes down to having the right gear like Aron said. When your asleep the stove goes out. So unless your gonna stay up and stoke a fire all night you need to have the right sleeping bag and gear for sleeping in cold temps. With that said if you have it the sleeping temps are endless. Think of the stove as being warm for when your up and awake. Not something you stoke up and go to bed and it keeps you warm all night.

Like others mentioned burn times depends on size of a stove. Usually the size of stove used in a supertarp will have burn times of 20-30 mins

15 - 20 min. is a reasonable expectation in Western Washington where everything that you burn is either wet or wetter and there is almost no hardwood

OP
Rocky

Rocky

WKR
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll add the annex and stove to my list of items. I will also start researching new sleeping bags. The current one I have (REI Halo 25 Degree) is not warm enough for me.