Superficial Blood Clot

I recently developed a superficial blood clot in my calf. Anyone ever dealt with this? Doc says not to worry too much and just monitor for a deeper clot. I’m obviously at least kinda worried. I’m a young guy and never had this on the radar. I like hunting deepish backcountry. Should I worry too much? Should it make me hesitant at all to backpack in a ways?

Definitely get a second opinion. More often than not you’ll have to be on a blood thinner. Deeper clots are worse because they can travel to your lungs (pulmonary embolism) or your brain. If you do get put on a thinner you’ll have to be extra careful because if you get a scrape or anything like that you’ll bleed for quite awhile.

Vids

WKR
I recommend getting a second (or third and fourth) opinion as well. They can test you for genetic predisposition to clotting, as far as I know (I'm not a doctor) that will tell you if you need to be on blood thinners. Doctors have told me that people get and pass clots all the time and don't even know it, and it doesn't necessarily mean you need thinners or have an elevated risk. But if you have a genetic clotting factor then it's something to take very seriously.

I don't have direct experience with a superficial clot but in 2012 I had ankle surgery, got a blood clot and had a pulmonary embolism. It was weird, I felt fine. Coughed up a tiny amount of blood one week after surgery, decided to get it checked out. They scanned my lungs, then all of a sudden a bunch of people flew into the room and started hooking me up to monitors. It scared the crap out of me at the time. At first I figured they would clear me and I'd be headed to work, instead I stayed in the hospital for a couple days.

I had to be on blood thinners for 6 months, and was told possibly for life if I had genetic factors at play. That 6 month period ran out right before my solo mountain goat hunt. I had applied for 8 years for the tag and really wanted to go, the doctors warned me against going if I was on thinners. I was nervous about having to continue blood thinners for life but they tested me right after that 6 months and I don't have any genetic predisposition. In my case it was a fluke due to the surgery, and I don't need thinners.

You need to listen to your doctor and not people on a hunting forum.

Your doctor gave you sound advice. If you don't like what he/she said or are concerned, you have every right to get a second opinion.

ODB

WKR
The wife had one. Hit the doc and doc said same as yours. Talked with a good friend who is a doc and she said same thing. Get a 2nd look and go from there.

RLGrats

FNG
You were given good info...superficial thrombophlebitis (ST) hurts like heck but very rarely progresses to deep venous thrombosis (DVT) which IS a big deal. Generally there is a reason for developing ST like an injury, a pinch, venous stasis (like localized varicose vein), etc. if this came up out of the blue then it may be a good idea to get a second opinion. Stay hydrated and keep hiking/camping/hunting. If you’re worried you can use compression stockings to lower the risk of another bout, but it’s probably not necessary. Stockings actually fee great when you’re on your feet when it’s warm, but won’t help you keep warm while it’s cold (late season).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I
Thanks all. I’m seeing my doctor early next week. I went to urgent care within the last day or so.

I picked up some compression socks just in case they are helpful.

The weirdest part is that it came out of nowhere without obvious explanations-surgery, pregnancy, family history, etc.

I’ll keep an eye on it.