superfly vs mega tarp

n2horns

WKR
What is the differences in the tarps from kifaru or warbonnet. Superfly or mega tarp seem similar in design, style and function. I do see that superfly doesn't have any pole setup but i guess you can add it and still be cheaper than mega tarp?

ams

WKR
I'm interested in this too. The obvious difference is the annex/stove option. I'm using a golite poncho tarp and like it but its dang small. I was thinking of trying another golite, bearpaw, or the warbonnet tarp.

unm1136

WKR
I am looking at the supertarp from warbonnet. One thing that has me doing that is when i go solo I am a hammock camper. I am sure the Kifaru products can be rigged to serve as hammock tarps, but the supertarp is designed as a hammock tarp. I am hesitant to spend that much money on a tarp, only to learn that I would have to cut the Kifaru tarp. I have not seen any hangs with Kifaru Tarps, and given the price I am not inclined to try. On the other hand, if you are not using a hammock, the Supertarp may have to be rigged differently for use with poles/ without a ridgeline. I seem them as apple and oranges. If you are not into hammocks, the Kifaru looks great. If you are into hammocks, a purpose designed tarp would be the way to go.

I am purchasing a a Supertarp this year, and a Kifaru Tipi later for 4th season elk hunts in colorado. I don't want to take my kids with me and share a tarp with a woodstove with them in the woods when temps are going to be super low. While there are some gonzo four season hammockers, if my kids and I are elk hunting and there is a chance for snow measured in feet, going to the ground with a stove would be the way to go.

There is also the guy on hammock forums that designed and made the Smokehouse, a hammock tarp that has a stove jack in it.

pat

OP
n2horns

n2horns

WKR
Superfly and super tarp are about the same size. I am wondering if it would be cheaper to reinforce the superfly for 2 support poles? I don't like the cat cut of the superlfy and think the cut on the super tarp is best for more inclement weather.