Superstition Wilderness hunting and camping in AZ

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I are planning on a car camping/hiking trip in the Superstition Wilderness during New Year's weekend. Of course I will be keeping my eye open for hunting opportunities while I'm there. I've never been to the area, but it has a trail system that would provide good access for coues deer in the higher elevations. Anybody here have much experience hunting this area? I'm guessing the west side gets more pressure because it is closer to Phoenix.

Another question- Know any good locations for car camping on the south side of the area? maybe near trailheads? Some national forests (here in CA) can be very anal about car camping or using designated campgrounds.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
rpm, I have hiked in that country- very rugged. The only stuff I accessed was the busy trailheads with tons of day hikers. We were checking out old Indian paintings. This was north of the freeway 60 that runs from Apache Junction to Gold Canyon. I did see deer sign around the base of the mountain. As you head further east of there, it does get more remote and I'd imagine access from the North side of the range would be remote, too.

You could see if Apache Junction has a chamber of commerce office. They'd be able to direct you to resources about camping restrictions.

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info Robby. We will be exploring the east side, hopefully fewer people than west side.

mtmiller

WKR
Good question. I was thinking about Couse opportunities last week when I was in the Gold Canyon area. Looks like there is some cool country to check out closer.

111_zps08a560cd.jpg

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to give folks an update. If you are interested in this area, I highly recommend staying on the east side. The access areas off HWY 60 were very crowded with day hikers and the climate was more mild. We camped one night at Oak Flat campground and woke up with a couple inches of snow. The last two days we used two trailheads on the east side and did not see anybody. The forest service roads to those trailheads were several miles long and in muddy/frozen condition but no problem with 4 wheel drive. Tons of coues deer tracks and rubs on trails.