Supertarp for Glassing? Talk me out of a SO DST...

visage

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard plenty of folks talk about using the supertarp for glassing, but i haven't seen many pictures of it pitched this way. If anyone has pictures of these and can post them up it would be much appreciated.

Background: I live in the high country and almost all of my hunting is currently done from the house, from archery thru late rifle. With this in mind, I am interested in an emergency/shade/glassing shelter/tarp that will be suitable for myself and a hunting partner. I also plan to go on an early rifle deer hunt this year in which I will backpack in for the long weekend. I also foresee a few overnights this summer with my dog and 4 year old. With these things in mind, I am leaning strongly towards a supertarp. I'm trying to be as frugal as possible, and recognize that long term I will probably be best served with a dedicated glassing tarp and dedicated shelter, but in the meantime I'm wondering if the supertarp can fit both needs. For those that use the supertarp for glassing - how much of a pain is it vs a flat tarp for setup? Is it simply a matter of using a trekking pole at the front center location and tying the corners up high to trees? Or possibly a trekking pole at each outside corner and stick at the center? Lastly - is any of this possible with a megatarp (If I were to find one used), or is it simply unreasonable to try to use a mega in this way?

I'm definitely a kifaru fanboy and am pretty sold on the durability of the material and the option for adding a stove and annex down the road, but I am open to other options if there is something that would better fit the bill. In searching the forums I have seen alot of love for the SO DST, and I wonder if this should be my long term dedicated glassing tarp that would get me by this year for my limited overnighters. I suppose if I went with the DST I could more easily justify a Tut or megatarp for my main shelter later on. Thanks in advance!

ianpadron

WKR
I have a Supertarp and it is a nice lightweight/flexible shelter. Have spent several weeks in it total over the past couple years.

That being said, for your intended uses, there's no friggin' way I'd recommend you pay 3x the money over the DST.

The Supertarp might be the most expensive glorified tarp ever made lol.

OP
V

visage

Lil-Rokslider
Just snagged a DST up on the classifieds. To ianpardon's point, hard to beat the price. If these warm temps keep up I may actually have a place in the yard to play around with different pitches soon - the snow is melting fast!

In talking with other folks that have done similar, I will likely pick up a Cimmaron as well for a stove/two+person option. Between the two it seems like majority of my needs should be covered.

Big fan of my DST. Nothing wrong with a super tarp and it would arguably be more efficient as a shelter. However, with a little practice, the DST can be a good shelter. Huge for solo. Fits two and gear well. Three is a little crowded IMO.

If money weren’t a factor, I would decide based on whether it was going to be used more as a sleep shelter or glassing/shade tarp. Super tarp is probably better in the shelter role and DST is a better straight up tarp.

If $ is part of the decision, Kifaru is great but for me, for half the money, it is the DST for the win.

TXCO

WKR
I had a DST for glassing and emergency shelter. It was way too big for that purpose. I sold it and may end up getting a sheep tarp or SG Sky Air. Ive also considered just using the poles and rain fly from a 1P tent I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
If your going to spend the money on a kifaru super tarp I would be looking into a dyneema tarp for half the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the supertarp is overkill for a glassing shelter. It’s also a slower pitch because there are so many stakes. But I love my supertarp for a backcountry tent.

bbrown

WKR
If you are looking for a dedicated glassing/get out of the weather/sun tarp then the DST, para tarp or really any flat tarp will work. To me, the ST’s versatility covers so many bases and is why I have one in the gear room. Aside from a glassing tarp and it being an great back country shelter I can also use it for a flat tarp around camp, covering a meat cache, quick shelter over the bed of a truck etc.

06A2B749-72F6-4051-91C9-5A39F0BBFEB5.jpegD850D3C7-48D8-4FD8-8DDC-74298DF5B0F3.jpegCFF1FCDD-D983-426F-AA56-84740E61F6FC.jpeg0B5F7974-318A-408D-BF61-01BDB679D2BC.jpegE953D827-F93B-4A09-B408-1B1CECC07A7C.jpeg

Last edited:

bbrown

WKR
Wanted to add I keep a 3’ section of 2mm cordage with a line lock off the main guy outs and it makes getting the ST pitched faster and tighter. Highly recommend rigging up your DST with them too.

The Cimarron is a great choice for a floorless mid - plenty of room for the wife,kiddo and dog during the summer, easily fit 2 guys with stove wood and gear in the fall and spring hunting trips plus any other trips in between.

6171B56B-82A9-43C7-A662-DBC6F4C57AE8.jpegC36DF0A5-457E-42B9-BDDC-9155726E7A76.jpeg85D2A745-710A-43CE-B679-CB4791BFF0D5.jpegBB2218E4-60EE-4183-9EA6-5CFB4F652622.jpeg4EBA10C1-6862-4CEE-A49D-A60876A13734.jpeg34480AA7-416E-45CF-966A-131460ECD6FD.jpeg

By the way, I don’t believe you can use the Mega as a flat tarp.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

WKR
Wanted to add I keep a 3’ section of 2mm cordage with a line lock off the main guy outs and it makes getting the ST pitched faster and tighter. Highly recommend rigging up your DST with them too.

The Cimarron is a great choice for a floorless mid - plenty of room for the wife,kiddo and dog during the summer, easily fit 2 guys with stove wood and gear in the fall and spring hunting trips plus any other trips in between.

View attachment 170047View attachment 170048View attachment 170049View attachment 170050View attachment 170051View attachment 170052

By the way, I don’t believe you can use the Mega as a flat tarp.
How long is that stove pipe? Is it standard? It just seems really long.