Supertarp or Megatarp

I am looking at getting one of these tarps for the upcoming season. Sometimes I will use it solo, sometimes with another person. For the guys that have used them, which one would you get and why?

Thanks, Branden

Ozz08

WKR
I'll be watching this one as I'm considering these two shelters as well. I've always been dead set against going floorless. I've slept in floorless shelters a hated it. just couldn't sleep worth a crap but I just can't ignore the size to weight ratio or the versatility of these kifaru tarps any longer.

6t4nova

WKR
If you will be going with more than 1 person, I would go with the mega. I go solo myself and still went with the mega due to the fact that it doesn't taper down on one end. I had a paratipi which is basically a supertarp with a sewn in annex. Solo with the mega is a palace! This thing has lots of room and I like that there are two entrances/exits. With the super, if one person needs to get up in the middle of the night, the only way out is through the front. With the mega, you can go in or out of either end.

Last edited:
The only reason I would get the Supertarp is if I thought there would be more snow and a ton of wind involved. I think the Supertarp sheds both better, but for probably what equates to 80% or so of most hunting/camping situations the Megatarps extra room would probably be advantageous.

I think 6t4nova stated all the right reasons to get the Mega. I am contemplating a new shelter. If I go kifaru it def would be a mega.

i dont use either, but i thought i would add my .02, my only worry with the mega is the large footprint needing a good sized area to pitch it, sometimes i wish my shelter was a little smaller for this reason

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I own the mega, and would not change it. I backpacked last year solo and with a partner, and when hunting with a partner it was just about perfect. We were stuck in rain for over 24 hours with very little breaks to get out and stretch, and it worked well. We played cards a lot. The rain come in on the sides approximately 6", but it rained hard. It should be noted our equipment did not get wet. I will post a couple of pics, two outside pictures, and the other you can see how the rain come in. Maybe, I am doing something wrong with the pitch.

I would suggest getting something with a back support, i.e Kifaru Field Chair. It was not very comfortable lying on my side trying to play cards, and it would come in handy if reading a book. I don't have a field chair yet, but will be looking at my options before next hunting season. When hunting solo, it was a little big.

Attachments

• P1030552.jpg
    P1030552.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 199
  • P1030534.jpg
    P1030534.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 188
  • P1030535.jpg
    P1030535.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 198

Craig4791

WKR
I would vote Mega as well. With two guys and all of your gear it is still a little tight. Going solo you will have tons of space!

I vote supertarp for solo outings. Two people than mega. Both are great shelters but I give the super tarp a slight bump as more bombproof

slim9300

WKR
I would vote Mega as well. With two guys and all of your gear it is still a little tight. Going solo you will have tons of space!

This^^^

When I hunt with my partner I like space for me and all my gear. He is the same way. The Megatarp is marginally heavier and has significantly more room than the Supertarp. It's better to have "too much" space then too little IMHO. If you were solo 100% of the time I would say Supertarp.

He's a pic from last year.

unaha9ag.jpg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I agree with the above statements. I've had both and will go with the Mega every time. Tons of space with very little weight gain.

Yukondog

WKR
For those guys using these tarps for two guys would you consider the weight penalty and go with the sawtooth for the ultimate ahelter?

I don't know how it breaks down in terms of weight per guy? I want to buy either a mega or sawtooth. Mostly I want to buy a sawtooth so I have can fit myself and my two young boys in one shelter when we go backbacking. They are 7 and 5 now so I think we could have several good years sharing the sawtooth.

The big up side is the room for hunting with a partner and the stove would be outstanding!

Matt

Just grab the sawtooth if you want the ultimate for room. I will be using a MEgatarp this year when I go with a partner. We won't need a whole lot of room, but having the shelter the same height all the way across is very nice. Sold my paratipi to swap to the megatarp for partner hunts

slim9300

WKR
For those guys using these tarps for two guys would you consider the weight penalty and go with the sawtooth for the ultimate ahelter?

I don't know how it breaks down in terms of weight per guy? I want to buy either a mega or sawtooth. Mostly I want to buy a sawtooth so I have can fit myself and my two young boys in one shelter when we go backbacking. They are 7 and 5 now so I think we could have several good years sharing the sawtooth.

The big up side is the room for hunting with a partner and the stove would be outstanding!

Matt

Just get the MegaTarp with the annex and you will be set. You will have basically the same amount of room for a lot less weight.

Gman

WKR
I've been in or own all of them. The only one I don't own is the Mega but I have used one.

I think pound for pound when it comes to comfort the sawtooth can't be beat. If I'm on a backcountry trip with wife or kids there's no question it's the Sawtooth. Also if its later in the season and I'll be running a stove its a Sawtooth. Lots of room for wood and gear and if I'm running a stove that means its cold and the days are shorter and tent time is longer. Nice to be in a bigger shelter.

When hunting earlier in the season I run a para-tarp or Super Tarp with a bivy. The Super would be fine for two with this setup. Also when hunting weight and ounces are more of a concern than with family or scouting.

Based on how you want to use it, if you we're only going one I'd recommend the Sawtooth.

For those of you using these tarps, when with more than one person do you ever pack a separate tarp to pitch keep your gear stashed? Seems like you you could bring a spare 10 oz silnylon tarp and keep the main shelter for just sleeping gear.

Mike