Supplemental Heating during a Burn Ban

psirus7

WKR
My Buddy is doing an OTC Elk hunt in CO next week and the GMU he wants to focus on is under a level 2 burn ban. The lows are anticipated to be single digits. I was planning on using my cimmaron and stove, but the level-2 ban prohibits it’s use. Our game plan is a buddy heater in his hilldeberg and some hot water bottles in the evening. Given the temps, we’ll probably not spike out. Does anyone have any better ideas?

My group just dealt with the same issue & we used one of the double burner buddy heaters, It got us through single digit nights even a couple that were negative with snow. The drawback is having to haul in (& out) a crap load of the single cylinders or a big 30# one. But if you're truck camping that's not an issue.

Be sure you prepare with a very good sleeping bag, bag liner, sleeping pad, and a small cot to get you off the ground. Wear good (non cotton) clothes with a toboggan to sleep. Putting a couple of the hand warmers in your bag is also a great way to get you through the night.
Waking up in a cold tent sucks but you'll only have to deal with it for a few minutes & get on with the hunt.

Squamch

WKR
My group just dealt with the same issue & we used one of the double burner buddy heaters, It got us through single digit nights even a couple that were negative with snow. The drawback is having to haul in (& out) a crap load of the single cylinders or a big 30# one. But if you're truck camping that's not an issue.

Be sure you prepare with a very good sleeping bag, bag liner, sleeping pad, and a small cot to get you off the ground. Wear good (non cotton) clothes with a toboggan to sleep. Putting a couple of the hand warmers in your bag is also a great way to get you through the night.
Waking up in a cold tent sucks but you'll only have to deal with it for a few minutes & get on with the hunt.

What does toboggan mean where you are from? Here it refers to a sled.

bozeman

WKR
We were in South Colorado last week and it was around ZERO at night. Get a good sleeping bag and truck camp like we did if at all possible. I was concerned even with it being on a Level 1 ban.....to much risk for fire...

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I used a little buddy in my seem outside back in October. Still got cold, but better than nothing. Prepare to burn a lot of fuel. Take a big bottle for refilling the little green ones.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Rig up a space blanket to reflect the heat from the buddy heater back down toward you.

The buddy heater will cause condensation. You may want to take a little sponge.

dtrkyman

WKR
Disposable body warmer, they are large and have a peel and stick, I used to put them on the small of my back while stand hunting, they last 8-12 hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk