Supplements for knee pain

Northpark

WKR
So I’m 30. Knees are not in the best condition at this point. I like to run. I should probably stop that and buy a mtn bike but in the meantime is anyone taking supplements that seem to work for them with knee pain?

*zap*

WKR
Strength training for stronger knees, Bulgarian Split Squat......start light with both feet on ground and progress to back foot being elevated. Hinge @ hip to avoid forward travel of knee.

slvrslngr

WKR
Your knee pain could be caused by something as simple as wearing the wrong running shoes. I’ve abused my knees too, years of playing rugby, running, mtn biking, off trail hiking, etc. and my shoe selection is the biggest factor on how my knees feel. Have you had any analysis of your stride done? Or had an ortho look at your knees? If there is real damage inside the joint supplements won’t do much and ibuprofen just covers up the symptoms. I’d go see a professional if you haven’t already.

OldGrayJB

WKR
Above posts are right. Knee strength is a big factor. Box squats help me.

I have taken glucosamine and chondroitin. That helps but you have to take it every day and don't expect results until you've been taking it 10 to 14 days.

wseidel

WKR
Some good suggestions above including Doctor's exam, strengthening and footwear options. If it turns out the knee pain is primarily due to inflammation and not structural (joint/ligment/meniscus), instead of resorting to ibuprofen, consider using a more natural supplement such as curcumin - a derivative of turmeric. This has many benefits in addition to reducing inflammation but takes time to build up in your system. You can take turmeric straight (mixed into smoothies, sprinkled on food, etc.) or you can take a more refined form (and likely more available) such as "Terry Naturally Curamin." I've used this daily for years and it is a great help for general soreness and joint pain...as well as being good for you. Hope this helps...

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. I’ll have to order some stuff and give it a shot. Hate knee pain.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
So maybe got to thinking about this over the course of the afternoon. Did some research on runners knee which seems to be what I’ve got going on. I’m going to try some supplements. I already do squats or different varieties because in addition to running I do strength training. So I broke down and bought a mountain bike. Figure with some more squats, supplements and trading running for a mountain bike I might end up with knees that are in better shape.

P Carter

WKR
So maybe got to thinking about this over the course of the afternoon. Did some research on runners knee which seems to be what I’ve got going on. I’m going to try some supplements. I already do squats or different varieties because in addition to running I do strength training. So I broke down and bought a mountain bike. Figure with some more squats, supplements and trading running for a mountain bike I might end up with knees that are in better shape.

IMHO, if you really have runners knee, going to a good physical therapist and then doing the exercises...like really doing them...would probably be the best long-term solution. Figure out the underlying mechanical cause of the issue and fix it.

Whenever I’ve had any actual, acute-ish type injuries caused by running that has helped. Usually a mix of targeted strengthening of particular muscle groups (for me it’s hips) along with mobility work.

My knees were both damaged when I was a teenager. Now at 55 I certainly cant run anymore. I mountain bike and hike. Glucosamine sulphate works for my knees and arthritis. I tried cbd oil and it isnt cutting it. I cant do squats either without major pain. I will look into this "split squat"?

divingpa

FNG

There's some good and not so good advice here. Sounds like you may be onto the right track now if you were able to associate your symptoms with a specific cause, especially one that has some easy solutions you can try on your own to see if you get any improvement. Keep in mind that many knee problems will have similar symptoms, so there may be other things that you're doing to aggravate your symptoms other than just running. I've been a health care provider for over 20 years and unfortunately am not far out from my first total knee replacement. Knee pain can be very difficult to diagnose and be cause by anatomical issues, injury, or self induced. Usually it is a combination of these things. Try the solutions you've discovered on your own, then reassess. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat with someone that has been diagnosing and dealing with knee pain for almost as long as you are old. Good luck.

My knees were both damaged when I was a teenager. Now at 55 I certainly cant run anymore. I mountain bike and hike. Glucosamine sulphate works for my knees and arthritis. I tried cbd oil and it isnt cutting it. I cant do squats either without major pain. I will look into this "split squat"?

CBS did absolutely nothing for me either. Might try running it on next, as I read that skin really can absorb it, and oral application kills off most of the effective components.

Tens unit workout, followed by ice pack, has been the most important treatment so far. I can bike, ride motocross, surf, but no running.

Good advice above. I am 51. Struggled with knee pain for years. Tried supplements , shoes , all the above. What worked was squats. 2-3 times a week. Back squats. Front squats split squats. Sandbag squats. Mix it up . Now no pain.

brsnow

WKR
Knee is typically associated with weak hips or other deficient area unless you have an injury. Amazing what some strength training will do.

When I had a problem with my left knee (August of 2010), the Ortho Surgeon drained some fluid from it and said I could do 3 things for it. Scope it, leave it alone and do nothing, or start taking Osteo Biflex (Glucosamine Chondroitin). I chose the Osteo Biflex, and after about a week the pain was almost gone. I continued taking it, and the pain is gone completely and I have been good to go. This is my results, and your condition may be a lot different than mine. Seek professional help if the pain continues.