Supplements in the backcountry

Isaac_SBO

FNG
To start this Is not a thread to discuss what supplements you should/shouldn’t be taking ect ect. Now that we got that outta the way what do you weightlifters/fitness gurus do about supplements out in the backcountry (BCAAs, creatine, protein shakes, vitamins ect). Do you guys pack them in? Cycle off prior to the trip? Go cold Turkey? Thoughts…. Thankyou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My backcountry breakfast that I've modified over the years has protein powder and ginseng in it now.

.1 Cup heaping Granola (Flavored high calorie kind)
.1/4 cup crushed almonds or cashews
.1/4 cup raisins or cranberries
.1/4 cup heaping milk chocolate covered espresso beans
.1 heaping scoop protein powder
.2 pills worth ginseng/royal jelly powder (emptied from capsules)

Pour ingredients in a quart ziplock bag and seal. At breakfast time add some water and stir it up to make the protein your "milk". Espresso beans end up giving you about 75-100 mg of caffeine so I don't need coffee.

Be ready to cover some miles, it's my favorite meal of the day by far!

My backcountry breakfast that I've modified over the years has protein powder and ginseng in it now.

.1 Cup heaping Granola (Flavored high calorie kind)
.1/4 cup crushed almonds or cashews
.1/4 cup raisins or cranberries
.1/4 cup heaping milk chocolate covered espresso beans
.1 heaping scoop protein powder
.2 pills worth ginseng/royal jelly powder (emptied from capsules)

Pour ingredients in a quart ziplock bag and seal. At breakfast time add some water and stir it up to make the protein your "milk". Espresso beans end up giving you about 75-100 mg of caffeine so I don't need coffee.

Be ready to cover some miles, it's my favorite meal of the day by far!

That sounds good but for me I would add carnation instant milk powder. I can’t stand protein powder with just water. The instant milk isn’t great but added to the protein mix it tastes much better than just water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a cheap multi day and a ton of carbs. Oh and there's probably cigars and whiskey back at camp. No wait there's definitely cigars and whiskey waiting for me at night!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
no supplements to speak of, a daily vitamin and if it's warm-ish some electrolytes

I have changed my food up to include more protein than previously- short trips not a great concern, longer trips- becomes a concern