Suppresor Alignment Rod for .284/7mm

Has anyone out there with a suppressor and a .284 caliber rifle figured out what to use for a suppressor alignment rod?

No one seems to make this size alignment rod, and regular steel rods I have found, the closest thing I have found is a 1/4 which is not going to cut it.

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
Total WAG but I'm sure you'd be able to find an aluminum arrow shaft a few thousandths under the bore diameter. Easy enough to cut to length and they're certainly held to tight enough straightness tolerances.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Edit- an 17xx shaft designation (17/64th of an inch) is .265625"

Last edited:

B23

WKR
Has anyone out there with a suppressor and a .284 caliber rifle figured out what to use for a suppressor alignment rod?

No one seems to make this size alignment rod, and regular steel rods I have found, the closest thing I have found is a 1/4 which is not going to cut it.
Are you asking about this because you are thinking about using a 6.5 specific suppressor on your 7mm/.284 caliber rifle? If that is the case and you're concerned about a baffle strike check with the suppressor manufacturer and see if they'll bore the hole slightly larger for you. I don't know if all companies will do this but I know some will.

OP
Doc Holliday
Are you asking about this because you are thinking about using a 6.5 specific suppressor on your 7mm/.284 caliber rifle? If that is the case and you're concerned about a baffle strike check with the suppressor manufacturer and see if they'll bore the hole slightly larger for you. I don't know if all companies will do this but I know some will.
No, my suppressor is a .30/7.62, but I had an unexplained baffle strike on my 7mm rem mag on a hunting trip......had shot the suppressor/rifle combo just fine leading up to the trip, but after flying out there, went to check zero and the damn thing exploded. Lucky no one was hurt, and after clearing some lodged shrapnel out of my rifle bore, was able to be successful on the hunt without the suppressor.....the manufacturer repaired my suppressor at no cost to me and returned it to me good as new. So now I am just wanting to be extra cautious. I have a .30 and 5.56 alignment rod, but I need one for my 7mm mag and 7-08.

B23

WKR
No, my suppressor is a .30/7.62, but I had an unexplained baffle strike on my 7mm rem mag on a hunting trip......had shot the suppressor/rifle combo just fine leading up to the trip, but after flying out there, went to check zero and the damn thing exploded. Lucky no one was hurt, and after clearing some lodged shrapnel out of my rifle bore, was able to be successful on the hunt without the suppressor.....the manufacturer repaired my suppressor at no cost to me and returned it to me good as new. So now I am just wanting to be extra cautious. I have a .30 and 5.56 alignment rod, but I need one for my 7mm mag and 7-08.
Well nothing about that sounds like fun and I can understand why you'd want to err on the side of caution. Are you sure the can was screwed on good and tight?

I'm in no way blaming whoever threaded your barrel but after talking to TBAC a few years back about threading barrels for suppressor use I don't let just anyone thread my barrels for a can.

OP
Doc Holliday
Well nothing about that sounds like fun and I can understand why you'd want to err on the side of caution. Are you sure the can was screwed on good and tight?

I'm in no way blaming whoever threaded your barrel but after talking to TBAC a few years back about threading barrels for suppressor use I don't let just anyone thread my barrels for a can.
I'm guessing that's what it was. The thread on the rifle was factory (rifle comes std with a brake), but it's a 1/2x28 thread and the can (which uses a QD mount with either a brake or flash hider) needs a 5/8x24, so I had not only an adapter screwed onto the rifle, but then the muzzle brake, then the can screwed onto that, so there are 3 possible connections that could have been loose, etc. I also didn't look down the barrel like I normally do after attaching, which I take blame for. So hard to know exactly where it went wrong.

I did recently have a smith thread a 7mm-08 but am not going to try and shoot the can on there until I can get some kind of rod to get a visual. Also, whether or not the adapter/QD "feature" played a role in the problem, moving forward I will likely only buy a direct thread can, just to eliminate possible points of risk/failure. With these .284 calibers though, I am always going to need a .30 can and they all seem to have 5/8x24, so I am going to have to at least use an adapter. Better two threads than 3 though....

B23

WKR
Changing the bore of a suppressor is a Felony on the federal level.
They talk more about caliber than bore and since the bore is already larger than .284 from the factory to begin with that if everything is perfectly concentric it would be fine but I removed it nonetheless.

mcr-85

WKR
You could possibly use this. I know a lot of Form 1 builders use these.