suppressed grouse rimfire....

View attachment 296366

You used to be able to buy a carbon barrel for it as well, that would keep the rifle under a pound. I don't know if you can buy the carbon stock or barrel any more.
Here is some of the best info I could find.
I shoot .22 shorts, quiets, or similar. They are pretty quiet with out a suppressor.

That is so cool! I'm bumping this from last year, but notice they do still sell the kits for about $225 at http://rutalocura.com/?page_id=5953/. So you'd be in a total of $395 between the Cricket rifle ($170) and the carbon barrel/stock kit if you bought everything new.

GotDraw?

WKR
I have greater question-

So, I guess it is acceptable to shoot a rifle at a target up in tree and miss (with zero backstop), thereby sending your bullet into the air landing god-knows-where? If you don't shoot up in the air, then the rest of my post does not apply. If you do, then-

I recall this story of a true genius that shot his muzzleloader into the air to discharge it after a hunt (because it was a very rural area) and killed an innocent child downrange. The child's horse dutifully brought her buggy home with her dead in her buggy cart. Amish child killed by muzzleloader discharge

I guess shooting a rifle into the air when you're in the "wilderness" makes it ok? Even if regulation makes it ok (and everyone else is doing it), it sounds pretty asinine and unsafe.

JL

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
I have greater question-

So, I guess it is acceptable to shoot a rifle at a target up in tree and miss (with zero backstop), thereby sending your bullet into the air landing god-knows-where?

I recall this story of a true genius that shot his muzzleloader into the air to discharge it after a hunt (because it was a very rural area) and killed an innocent child downrange. The child's horse dutifully brought her buggy home with her dead in her buggy cart. Amish child killed by muzzleloader discharge

I guess shooting a rifle into the air when you're in the "wilderness" makes it ok? Even if regulation makes it ok (and everyone else is doing it), it sounds pretty asinine and unsafe.

JL
More to the story i dont think ballistics work out on that. A muzzle loader at more than a mile even fired up at a severe angle it wont make it that far. At a mile a 6.5 creedmoor needs 122 feet of drop which is damn near straight up and down. It has 314 ft lbs of energy. So take a bigger bullet going alot slower to start and shedding energy alot faster over a mile away doesnt compute.

GotDraw?

WKR
More to the story i dont think ballistics work out on that. A muzzle loader at more than a mile even fired up at a severe angle it wont make it that far. At a mile a 6.5 creedmoor needs 122 feet of drop which is damn near straight up and down. It has 314 ft lbs of energy. So take a bigger bullet going alot slower to start and shedding energy alot faster over a mile away doesnt compute.
Hunter confessed to the shooting. My guess is that the author guessed/took artistic license on the distance.

Bottom line- hunter discharged his muzzleloader rifle into the air with zero backstop and the falling bullet killed a young girl. That's all that matters to her parents in the end, isn't it?

JL

KurtR

WKR
Hunter confessed to the shooting. My guess is that the author guessed/took artistic license on the distance.

Bottom line- hunter discharged his muzzleloader rifle into the air with zero backstop and the falling bullet killed a young girl. That's all that matters to her parents in the end, isn't it?

JL
Yep a sad story but at least make it right dont sensationalize it. How many people have been killed from people shooting grouse off of trees with rim fires. You know squirrels are shot our of trees on a regular basis also with small cal rifles. Racoons mountain lions and bobcats all shot out of trees. Why try and find problems where problems dont exist.

woods89

WKR
I'm quite an avid squirrel hunter but I will not shoot a squirrel out of a tree unless the trunk is behind it. I know it's long odds that it will go wrong but a miss is definitely a bullet at large.

GotDraw?

WKR
Yep a sad story but at least make it right dont sensationalize it. How many people have been killed from people shooting grouse off of trees with rim fires. You know squirrels are shot our of trees on a regular basis also with small cal rifles. Racoons mountain lions and bobcats all shot out of trees. Why try and find problems where problems dont exist.
I think you missed my point.

Not trying to find a problem where problems don't exist, questioning the status quo to avoid a problem.

Let turn the question around this way--

How's about you put a couple of your favorite kids unknowingly downrange of a group of squirrel hunters shooting squirrels in trees? I guess you and their mother shouldn't have a single problem with that either? Let's ask her.

I do agree with the prior poster about only shooting when the trunk is behind a squirrel, but I doubt everyone is so thoughtful.

JL

KurtR

WKR
I think you missed my point.

Not trying to find a problem where problems don't exist, questioning the status quo to avoid a problem.

Let turn the question around this way--

How's about you put a couple of your favorite kids unknowingly downrange of a group of squirrel hunters shooting squirrels in trees? I guess you and their mother shouldn't have a single problem with that either? Let's ask her.

I do agree with the prior poster about only shooting when the trunk is behind a squirrel, but I doubt everyone is so thoughtful.

JL
People must havnt heard of a rash of deaths in the squirrel woods. Good thing i live in south dakota we dont have any trees

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
For those concerned, grouse spend most of their day on the ground. That is where I shoot them if using a rimfire or centerfire.
I prefer a sling shot for keeping things quiet during big game hunts though. Requires a touch more practice than a rifle but it fits in your pocket.

Explorer

FNG
That is so cool! I'm bumping this from last year, but notice they do still sell the kits for about $225 at http://rutalocura.com/?page_id=5953/. So you'd be in a total of $395 between the Cricket rifle ($170) and the carbon barrel/stock kit if you bought everything new.
Yep, they have been out of stock for a while. Not sure if they will come back in stock.
If they do, I will buy another. I have a couple hunting buddies waiting for them to come back in stock too.

Torino

FNG
Really can’t go wrong with any bolt action, especially if considering a can in the future.

WCB

WKR
I'd just pick up a bolt .22 and shoot either the .22 quiet or shorts through it. be quiet enough.