suppressed grouse rimfire....

Tod osier

WKR
I'm at the very early stages of thinking about putting together a rifle for grouse, mostly for my wife. She has expressed a consistent interest in shooting grouse with a .22.

Is a .22 LR the best thing if looking for a quiet accurate rimfire? I was thinking subsonic and suppressed to lessen the impact when I'm hunting big game, but I'm open to other options.

I'm not tied to a specific action, I could see the benefits of a single shot as far as being a tidy light package, but also a repeater. No lever action.

A was thinking no scope, but a nice peep, but I have no experience actually shooting them that way (lots of experience flushing with a dog).

Wood would be nice for the aesthetic, but stainless for sure.

We always have a well-trained retriever around so it would be the wife and the dog.

This may not be exactly what you’re after, but I picked up one of the new 10/22 pistols on sale. The break down model with threaded barrel is pretty slick. Suppressed, it’s really quiet even with standard rounds. The subs are crazy quiet but goof up cycling, don’t group as well, and drop like a stone. There’s also a few aftermarket options, like a pistol brace, that make it pretty neat for the kids. I’ve had a dozen or so 22s and spank a couple thousand rounds a year with the kids. This one is pretty fun but the price all told isn’t. Oh well.

Good luck!

gbflyer

WKR
I have an integral suppressed 10/22. It is super quiet with target and standard 22 long rifle. Still get the supersonic crack with high velocity ammo. It functions well with most anything if it is clean. The suppressor necessitates more frequent cleaning of the action than a regular 10/22. A lot of the gas and fouling must go the wrong way because of it. It needs cleaned every 50 rounds. It is the break down model. It is not the most accurate 10/22 I’ve owned but it is adequate. Super fun. We shot some of those rimfire specific exploding targets awhile back with it. Get the full effect with a suppressor. Hahaha.

We also have a New England Handi Rifle .22 single shot that’s threaded. I put my Silencerco Harvester on it. That bad boy is Hollywood quiet with proper ammo and accuracy is excellent.

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
Jesus, save your self some time and money and have something that is a lit more accurate and doesn't involve batf.
Get yourself a good pellet rifle and buy an LDC to put on it. No tax stamp, no back ground check and no waiting periods.
I would get something in a .25 or .30 cal.
I have a DAR IN 25 cal, it is not suppressed yet but a tack driver out to one hundred yards.
Or if i need a little more I have a Custom BWalton BT 65 Carnivore in 30 cal suppressed for yotes.

Plus resell value is better. When your purchase a suppressor for a 22 lr, you are stuck with it. 200.00 tax stamp on a 200.00 suppressor. Now you have 400.00 invested. You want to sell it, cost another 200.00 tax stamp back to a dealer. Now you are 600.00 invested.
157df68fe0a32a834350ea04af5bef7b.jpg
b6fc8ae51fe2e95ad83cc6956302fddd.jpg
325c5654c8450ad1da45c96bb4947891.jpg
b92a5e6203122761ef088ee5653f5dc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have been using a Ruger 22/45 suppressed with iron sights for a few years now. I can carry it and a rifle during big game hunts with no issue.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Jesus, save your self some time and money and have something that is a lit more accurate and doesn't involve batf.
Get yourself a good pellet rifle and buy an LDC to put on it. No tax stamp, no back ground check and no waiting periods.
I would get something in a .25 or .30 cal.
I have a DAR IN 25 cal, it is not suppressed yet but a tack driver out to one hundred yards.
Or if i need a little more I have a Custom BWalton BT 65 Carnivore in 30 cal suppressed for yotes.

Plus resell value is better. When your purchase a suppressor for a 22 lr, you are stuck with it. 200.00 tax stamp on a 200.00 suppressor. Now you have 400.00 invested. You want to sell it, cost another 200.00 tax stamp back to a dealer. Now you are 600.00 invested.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm thinking svelte and hassle free gun for a lady. I'm sure those are awesome, but not where I'm headed.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
I have an integral suppressed 10/22. It is super quiet with target and standard 22 long rifle. Still get the supersonic crack with high velocity ammo. It functions well with most anything if it is clean. The suppressor necessitates more frequent cleaning of the action than a regular 10/22. A lot of the gas and fouling must go the wrong way because of it. It needs cleaned every 50 rounds. It is the break down model. It is not the most accurate 10/22 I’ve owned but it is adequate. Super fun. We shot some of those rimfire specific exploding targets awhile back with it. Get the full effect with a suppressor. Hahaha.

We also have a New England Handi Rifle .22 single shot that’s threaded. I put my Silencerco Harvester on it. That bad boy is Hollywood quiet with proper ammo and accuracy is excellent.
You second option is near where I think she would be happy something that could be taken down, easy to carry, etc... Hollywood quiet would be nice. Maybe some nice wood. I haven't looked, but some of the contenders have nice wood.

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
You second option is near where I think she would be happy something that could be taken down, easy to carry, etc... Hollywood quiet would be nice. Maybe some nice wood. I haven't looked, but some of the contenders have nice wood.
Hollywood quiet, lol
Get a bolt gun in 22Lr,
1) you will be more accurate because you know you can't just pull the trigger on a sloppy shot and have a follow up shot. Forces you to wait for the moment.

2) bolt gun will not malfunction like a simi from dirt blowback.

3) you will want a wet suppressor for Hollywood quiet, so make sure the suppressor you choose can be screwed apart and designed to be used wet or dry.

4) cleaning the suppressor is easy, gallon of WD 40 and just give it a soak in a mason jar.

And for the guy that wanted to know what an LCD is, well at one point we was not allowed to talk about air rifle suppressor as an air rifle suppressor because of BATF and the fear of them shutting the forum down. So the suppressor was referred to as a LDC ( lead duct collector ) or a moderator. But things have relaxed a bit and old habits are hard to break.

An air rifle suppressor must be marked for for Air Rifle Use only and does not require a 200.00 tax stamp as they are not regulated by BATF.

Here is a pic of my suppressed 457 Texan that will handle up to a 400 grain projectile. I get 5 good shots on a 3000 psi tank fill.
ea6cf910dcd2697f30dfb98b2c33a3a7.jpg
29a5595ce547460406edc2d2339915d4.jpg
8c6777e05ee3c289cbef03b665c8b98e.jpg
e2dd5c5d5f0ac7d66a49d9b2f86f7a2e.jpg
248f9dabb079be7282fa0bd2942bb009.jpg
088b84a7e97a230f05d1a1e85802032f.jpg
8fca2714acb98fb365b7f6229666190b.jpg

MattB

WKR
I was shooting ground squirrels @ ~75 yards with my .22 mag that were to the right and left of a bedded buck a few weeks back. The buck never moved. Don't overthink it.

slvrslngr

WKR
A Thompson/Center Contender built as a rifle is your huckleberry. Order a 16” threaded barrel from MGM or Bullberry or thread a factory barrel, either works fine. I’d put a 2.5x leupold or a red dot sight on it. Zero subsonic ammo at 25 yards and eat grouse.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m getting a Ruger American rimfire for exactly what you are talking about. Suppressor is on order. Ruger makes a stainless threaded version of the gun so I’m going that way. I just got a fixed 4x leupold for the rifle.

Explorer

FNG
20201013_161125.jpg20190923_094400.jpg20191006_143659.jpg

I have a .22 cricket rifle with a carbon fiber stock. The whole setup cost about $150 and weighs about 2lb, maybe less. It can be taken down, is light, and accurate. The peep sight works well, but you can mount a scope or red dot on it.
You used to be able to buy a carbon barrel for it as well, that would keep the rifle under a pound. I don't know if you can buy the carbon stock or barrel any more.
Here is some of the best info I could find.
I shoot .22 shorts, quiets, or similar. They are pretty quiet with out a suppressor.

sram9102

WKR
I don't have any pictures of my savage mkII fvsr but that would be a great rifle to pack around. Bullet impact is the loudest thing when running CCI subsonic HP suppressed. The ruger pistol is what I'm planning on packing around this year.

Attachments

• Ruger.jpg
    Ruger.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 27
A buddy of mine has a Marlin 39a takedown that he shoots CCI CB Long ammo in and it’s pretty dang quiet. Beautiful rifle that has a 24” barrel. He installed a peep sight on it, and it shoots great. I’ve used that load and other subsonic loads on an old M25 Glenfield/Marlin bolt gun, it’s not quite as quiet in the shorter barrel. Neither one is probably suppressor quiet but close to it, and available without the wait time on a suppressor. I’m not trying to talk anyone out of buying one of those though!

caesAR15

Lil-Rokslider
CZ 452, 455 or 457 with a good suppressor is a classic setup. Consider the Scout variation if you're concerned about size.

Really, any suppressed .22 bolt is a joy, but CZ's 22 bolt guns are a cut above the rest generally speaking. I've got a CZ455 with an Energetic Armament Nyx rimfire can and it may very well be my favorite gun to shoot.

I truly enjoy suppressed .22’s. I carry one almost every time I’m in the woods.
My ultra light carry in my back pack is sure fire can on a m&p pistol.
As for rifles I run rugars 10/22’s. My favorite is a integrated barrel made by gem tech called a mist. It’s stupid accurate and shoots there ammo Hollywood quiet. My feeder is 70 yds behind the house. I shoot racoons regularly on it. I did put a nice scope I can adjust.
My best around always gun is 10/22 with a fury barrel. It has a shroud on the end you screw the can keeping over all length 16”s with a can so your no super long.

Lastly bolt guns are quieter. We nicked name them think whaps. Think for the firing pin whaps for the bullet hitting the target.