Suppressor Adapters - Any Big Cons?

Loper

WKR
Are there any huge cons to using an adapter for a suppressor?

I’m assuming it is ideal to just thread your suppressor directly onto the barrel, but is it a big deal if your barrel doesn’t have enough “meat” for 5/8x24 threads and has to use an adapter?

How much do these adapters weigh? I’ve looked at the ones on SilencerShop and Silencer Central as well as others and haven’t been about to find a listed weight.

Stacking tolerances and potential of striking a baffle or endcap is a con.

Yep, that is the biggest con. Most of the newer suppressors have the ability to change out the direct thread modules so that rather than use an adapter, you can just change the module for your various thread sizes. If you get a QD suppressor, you just need to get the correct muzzle device.
In other words, there are better options than using an adapter, however the adapters they are making these days have pretty tight tolerances.

ElPollo

WKR
I’m pretty new to this suppressor game as well (day 154 and counting on an eForms submission). I rebarreled one rifle with a light-weight (Tikka factory contour) 20” stainless McGowen barrel with a flare at the muzzle to accommodate 5/8” threads. The other is a factory barrel cut to 16.5” and threaded to 1/2”. It will get a 5/8” adaptor from the suppressor manufacturer (AB Suppressor) attached with Rocksett. The former is a 30 cal, and the latter is a 6.5. Caliber and barrel thickness played into those decisions. If I had it to do over, I might have gone with a 9/16 to 5/8” adaptor instead of rebarrelling the 30 cal. But hey, I’ll get to test the two pathways if the ATF ever approves my can.

Honestly, I’m not a big fan of flutes. Aside from the look, and my impression that they are an ingress point for water, snow, ice and grit into the barrel channel, they also limit you on shortening a barrel.

ElPollo

WKR
Yep, that is the biggest con. Most of the newer suppressors have the ability to change out the direct thread modules so that rather than use an adapter, you can just change the module for your various thread sizes. If you get a QD suppressor, you just need to get the correct muzzle device.
In other words, there are better options than using an adapter, however the adapters they are making these days have pretty tight tolerances.
The downside to the QD mounts is the added weight of the muzzle device out there at the end of the muzzle. For my use, direct thread meant more sense. The weight of a correctly made thread adaptor is a fraction of a QD mount. Some of the QD mounts also have repeatability issues.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
The other is a factory barrel cut to 16.5” and threaded to 1/2”. It will get a 5/8” adaptor from the suppressor manufacturer (AB Suppressor) attached with Rocksett.

I’m not familiar with Rocksett. Does this have to be used for adapters? Is this permanent?

ElPollo

WKR
I’m not familiar with Rocksett. Does this have to be used for adapters? Is this permanent?
High temp threadlocker adhesive.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
So it sounds like if you need to use a suppressor adapter your best bet is to use a thread locker and leave it on there.

Anyone regularly remove/add the adapter depending on whether or not they want to shoot suppressed?

I’m assuming most will just always want to shoot suppressed but there may be some times where one would want the handiness if not having a suppressor at the end of their rifle.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
You won't ever shoot unsurpassed again haha. It will also require a re zero. Most my riffles are 6" high and right once I added the can

QD adapters are the way to go in my opinion. I know that’s not going to come loose. Chances are a direct thread suppressor won’t either, but it makes me nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk