Suppressor Folks, come on in here to tell me about them

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a couple suppressors. The rifle I see using it the most on is a 450 Bushmaster. It's got a brake and it now and that SOB is loud when shooting it out of a box blind or even in heavy cover. I could also see wanting to use it on my .223 rifle.

I'd also like one dedicated for 22 rifle and pistol.

Based on what I'd be using them on, what do you recommend for me?

Last I knew you could register them to a trust and whoever was on the trust could use them and possess them. Is that still the case?

Thanks for any help.

Been a while since I've put in for one, but generally making one yourself on what is called a Form 1 will get a can in your hands the quickest legally. This can be done online and/or through a trust. There are a lot of resources out there on the process of both.

I'd recommend checking out silencer shop's website to check out some models and where to find a store near you that has their kiosk. It's a good place to start

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
SilencerCo Hybrid for the centerfires. It's bored out to .46 and build to use up 5o and including .338 Lapua (22" barrel minimum iirc) and .45-70 (18" barrel, not limited to trapdoor loads either). You can swap frontcaps if you want, using a smaller bored frontcap will quiet down the .223 a but more but don't accidentally leave it on there when you shoot .450 through it. The other end is standard "Bravo" pattern, so you can go direct thread or spend way too much money on mounts, unfortunately for .450 I think you're still limited to ASR, Area 419/Hellfire, and KeyMo (using JMac Customs brakes) unless Griffin got their mounts off the ground. since your .223 and .450 are almost certainly going to use different threads (1/2"x28TPI and 5/8"x24TPI respectively, or perhaps the 3/4"x24TPI for the big bore) you'll be looking at either a mount system or two endcaps. The good news if you can also shave a few ounces by going to Ti front and endcaps if you want to spend way too much money on it.

Quick aside on mount systems: I appreciate systems that minimize the risk of cross-theading and reduce the amount of twisting, so KeyMo is very much on my radar right now. ASR has a reputation for being less foolproof, although perhaps I'm a fool! But threads+ratchet seems less suited to on/off cycles than taper+threads or taper+retainer. Direct thread is the lightest and adds the least Length, often you'll find you're adding 4-5oz and an inch to the end of your rifle to use a mounting system.

For rimfires, tough to go wrong. I have two, a Spectre II and a Sign SRD22, my friends have the Sparrow (replaced the Spectre). Most rimfire cans come in two versions, either a tube with baffles that index off each other or the Oculus/Erector pattern of baffles that attach together to form the body without a outer tube. I personally don't see a reason for the tubeless designs other than looking cool, I haven't seen good evidence that they're quieter or cleaner and my suspicion that most people either run 3 baffles or all the baffles is so far pretty well borne out. SilencerCo's Switchback and the Energetic Nyx straddle this line as a modular can that has two sections of baffles so you can run it short or long, trading suppression for size. If I were buying today I'd get the Nyx. There are also microcans (Bowers Bitty, TacSol has one, etc) but on a pistol they're mostly just reducing the pop, decent on a rifle but you'll always be louder than the guy with a bigger stack.

Expectations-wise, I don't know if you've been around a silenced centerfire. Bigger bores are louder, supersonic rounds will still damage your hearing, and shorter barrels are louder. Adding a can to the end makes the rifle feel much heavier than doubling the weight of your scope or stock would, thanks Archimedes. That said with a Hybrid on my bench .223 I can comfortably shoot with light plugs. A friend has those NRR Bluetooth earbuds that clip out the gunshots and let him listen to NPR at the range, which is not comfortable when shooting a .308 with an 18" barrel unsuppressed. You will feel the benefit of reduced recoil and less pressure, especially if you're shooting from inside a blind or dense cover.

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
If you are mechanically inclined at all, I would consider doing a Form 1. There are several companies out there that sell kits for just about any caliber you want. I have a couple Form 1 and a couple Form 4 suppressor, and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two. One added benefit to the Form 1 is the amount of time it takes for approval. My most recent Form 1 came back in 20 days. You have to wait till you have a approved Form 1 to drill the suppressor, but I had the suppressor drilled and at the range within 22 days of submitting. This was last week. My last Form 4 took 10 months.

OP
A
Form 1 interests me, especially for the 22lr one. Any info would be great. I'll be off to Google and well.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
That said with a Hybrid on my bench .223 I can comfortably shoot with light plugs. A friend has those NRR Bluetooth earbuds that clip out the gunshots and let him listen to NPR at the range, which is not comfortable when shooting a .308 with an 18" barrel unsuppressed. You will feel the benefit of reduced recoil and less pressure, especially if you're shooting from inside a blind or dense cover.

Hah! An unsuppressed 308 booming sounds much more comfortable than listening to NPR droning on.
I kid. Sort of. I've listened to way to much NPR.

Not sure NPR would be comfortable with your friend shooting anything, much less suppressed.
That's kinda like driving a Prius with NRA, MAGA, and Free Tibet stickers.

Hybrid 46 for the bushy, IMO. I bought a 30 cal can a few years ago, now wish I had something for my 44 mag lever… the hybrid is heavyish, but the one I’ve been around sounded great on 223 and 30 cal.

Take your pick for the 22lr. I’d not buy an aluminum can for cleaning purposes. I have a strong preference for thunder beast products.

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
I have been eyeballing an Form 1 build just to do a nice, lightweight Al can with a low expected volume of fire (.30-30 single shot, not really mag-dumping) but when i do the math on a kit+the equipment to make one I end up just deciding I'll wait for a sale on one with a warranty. I don't have a lathe or a high-quality drill press.

The other option i considered was building one and then just having it recored if I can't stand the build quality, but then I wonder about the integrity of the tube. If I buy a kit, how do I know this aluminum tube or titanium tube is going to stand up to gunfire? I don't have the equipment to verify it, and if I say "hey Quietbore i made a silencer from your solvent trap and it blew up" I suspect I'm out a stamp and a can regardless.

You can eform a Form 1 in a quick damn hurry, i've done it for SBRs and SBS's, but I'm hesitant spend the money kitbuilding a silencer. If there was an option for something unique, a pill bottle size or maybe a Form 1 version of the Gemtech Aurora, I'd do that in a heartbeat, but otherwise I can't imagine that for a non-machinist I'll be getting something that is as light, effective, and durable as a factory-built can.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would add another vote for the Hybrid 46. I just recently got mine out of jail and I love it. I wanted 1 can that I could use on everything I own. Sounds great, especially if you get different end caps. I have been swapping it between 6.5, .300 black, and 9mm mostly. You can always do a form 1 for the 22's.

My vote is Form 1. For 22lr quitebore kits are hard to beat. Jk armament also makes a decent kit. They have jigs that you can use just a hand drill and for clipping you can honestly just use a drimel.20210926_113728.jpg
Here is my quite bore on my S&W 622 and my .30call can in the pouch.

The Thunderbeast Takedown 22 is a great, user serviceable can for rimfires. It will do the .22 mag, 17 HMR, and 5.7x28

Kerbs

FNG
Another vote for the SiCo Hybrid. I run it on a 45/70 and it does really well. Should work great on .450 Bush. A lot of options for .22lr. I have several and have to say, it's my favorite round to shoot suppressed.

Definitely purchase them in a trust or LLC. It provides a lot more flexibility, especially with family members.

Just saw that Silencerco has updated the Hybrid 46. If I was buying one centerfire can today, that's probably the one. I love my tbac ultra 9 and have no regrets, I truly think it is/was simply the best precision rifle can available when I bought it.....

But I'd sure like a can for the 44 lever gun and have a hard time justifying another purchase since I don't get out and shoot very much. The versatility would be nice and you can get brake adapters to couple the (very good) tbac brakes to sico cans.

Here is my Form1 on my 7mag. I can shoot it all day with zero shoulder pain. Still need hearing pro's for range day. But don't need them for hunting anymore. 20211018_132721.jpg

Dead Air Mask HD for your rimfire.

Dead Air Primal for your big bore.

Silencerco Hybrid is another good big bore can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro