Suppressor for .30 cal

Just got a lightweight build back using a Tikka action. Went with 300 wsm. I haven’t even shot it yet, but I’m seriously contemplating ditching the brake and going suppressed.

My smith is getting set up to sell cans, but not sure what he’ll carry yet. I was looking for something in the lightweight range. Seems like 10 ounces for a 7” can is about as light as it goes.
I’d also want to use it on another rifle chambered in 6.5.

The first two that stand out to me is the TBAC ultra 7 and the Banish.

So, what are you guys running in a lightweight suppressor? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caesAR15

Lil-Rokslider
TBAC is pretty much a lock. I'd say that's pretty well established at this point.

Two other legit, but lesser-known options worth considering:

Energetic Armament - Lux
7.9in - 9.84oz
https://energeticarms.com/lux-titanium-rifle-silencer/
All titanium. Mates with a variety of mount systems, or simply direct thread. I've met the owner, Karl, dude is scary smart and they're putting out some incredible product.

CGS - Hyperion K
6.4in - 10.5oz
https://cgsgroup.com/product/hyperion-k-qd-762/
3D printed all titanium can. This is a K (short) version, the stand version Hyperion comes in at 15oz, and outside your weight parameters, but still warrants a serious look. 3rd party testing by Pew Science has it as the quietest 30 cal can on record.

There's some good stuff out there @freediver111 . Like I said, TBAC is the standard for a reason, but there's some really cool stuff happening with some of these companies that don't always immediately come to people's minds.

Sled

WKR
do it while you still can. i'm running a sico harvester, tbac ultra 7 and torrent k baffle. all are suitably lite and short enough for me. the harvester is nearly 9" long but the price was right and it's on a short bbl

B23

WKR
The new TBAC Ultra 7 Gen2 would be my first choice followed by a Banish 30. I'm a big TBAC fan but the Banish 30 has a lot of Pros to them and are nearly as quiet. If you're in a hurry to get a top rated can Silencer Central and a Banish 30 is worth taking a look at.

Sled

WKR
fwiw, i took an elk yesterday with my harvester and the herd moved 15' then stood still for a while. they didn't know where the shot came from. i also enjoyed the benefit of being able to hear the hit. the best thing about a can is no concussive forces rattling your brain. i'll never go back to muzzle brakes but they did serve a purpose for a time. i wish i did it sooner.

OP
F
Is there anything I need to know about running suppressed? I mean I’ll have plenty of time to research, but I’m 99% sold on the TBAC 7.
Do you have to disassemble the whole thing to clean? Can you just move them around to different rifles and calibers with no effect on POI shifts? Lastly, do you run a cover or are they not needed unless you really run the barrel pretty hot? I once read a cover helps minimize cold bore POI shifts for some reason, but I can’t recall why.
Thanks!

Just got a lightweight build back using a Tikka action. Went with 300 wsm. I haven’t even shot it yet, but I’m seriously contemplating ditching the brake and going suppressed.

My smith is getting set up to sell cans, but not sure what he’ll carry yet. I was looking for something in the lightweight range. Seems like 10 ounces for a 7” can is about as light as it goes.
I’d also want to use it on another rifle chambered in 6.5.

So, what are you guys running in a lightweight suppressor? Thanks.

I can’t speak to any other products, but I’ve had the Banish 30 for a couple years (since before it was called the Banish 30) and I love it. Not one single complaint. I always run mine at 9” but the option to take it down to 7” is nice. I’ve had several people comment on how much quieter it is than their can.

edit: fwiw I run mine on a 20” 308 shooting 175s

renagde

WKR
I started one of these threads, I was trying to decide between the same TBAC and Banish suppressor. I ultimately went with the TBAC Dominus. Shorter but fatter than the Ultra and at the time was quieter. That TBAC Ultra Gen 2 looks pretty sweet though, I think I would save some bucks over the Dominus and go with that.

Sled

WKR
Poi shift is typically down an inch or so with most thin barrels. It is repeatable with quality suppressors. The shift is due to barrel harmonics and extra weight on the end of the bbl. Some target bbl don't see any shift at all.

Decide a purpose for the suppressor and work toward that end goal. Don't go with a jack of all trades, master of none. You'll end up with more than one so start with that in mind.

You can switch between other rifles but need to pay attention to thread size and pitch. You may need adapters. Always check that it is tight before shooting or you risk a baffle strike. Don't thread your 6.5 suppressor onto your 30 cal. Don't trust factory threads blindly. Check the before you shoot the first time. Some companies sell a verification rod to stick down the bore but a good gunsmith could help you out there.

OP
F
Poi shift is typically down an inch or so with most thin barrels. It is repeatable with quality suppressors. The shift is due to barrel harmonics and extra weight on the end of the bbl. Some target bbl don't see any shift at all.

Decide a purpose for the suppressor and work toward that end goal. Don't go with a jack of all trades, master of none. You'll end up with more than one so start with that in mind.

You can switch between other rifles but need to pay attention to thread size and pitch. You may need adapters. Always check that it is tight before shooting or you risk a baffle strike. Don't thread your 6.5 suppressor onto your 30 cal. Don't trust factory threads blindly. Check the before you shoot the first time. Some companies sell a verification rod to stick down the bore but a good gunsmith could help you out there.

Good info.
But if I buy a TBAC Ultra 7, it can be used for both my 6.5 and my 300 wsm? The website says you can use it for a wide variety of calibers so I thought I could make it work for both.
My 6.5 is more of a target gun, but I do take it hunting on occasion. It’s a heavier gun in a chassis that I use for local PRS style matches. It has a medium contour barrel and currently not threaded. The new Tikka is a thinner barrel and threaded with a brake. I assume I can use it on both (possibly with an adapter), but ultimately it will be more dedicated to hunting with the tikka.

Gorp2007

WKR
Good info.
But if I buy a TBAC Ultra 7, it can be used for both my 6.5 and my 300 wsm? The website says you can use it for a wide variety of calibers so I thought I could make it work for both.
My 6.5 is more of a target gun, but I do take it hunting on occasion. It’s a heavier gun in a chassis that I use for local PRS style matches. It has a medium contour barrel and currently not threaded. The new Tikka is a thinner barrel and threaded with a brake. I assume I can use it on both (possibly with an adapter), but ultimately it will be more dedicated to hunting with the tikka.

Yes, you can either run it direct thread and swap between the two rifles or buy a TBAC Compact Brake Mount for each rifle.

B23

WKR
Yes, but for obvious reasons make sure you get the .30 caliber version Ultra 7. I only point this out because they make a specific 6.5 and .30 caliber Ultra 7. The biggest trick is probably going to be finding someone that has one in stock because most TBAC dealers are usually sold out of them.

In an earlier post you asked about disassembling to clean. Almost all of the TBAC suppressors are a welded sealed cans they do not disassemble to clean like the Banish 30 and some of the other suppressors out there. Like anything their are pros and cons to both and IMO which one is the better system largely depends on what you use it for. All of my cans except one are welded sealed cans and it has never been a problem I actually prefer them but others may feel differently.

OP
F
Yes, but for obvious reasons make sure you get the .30 caliber version Ultra 7. I only point this out because they make a specific 6.5 and .30 caliber Ultra 7. The biggest trick is probably going to be finding someone that has one in stock because most TBAC dealers are usually sold out of them.

In an earlier post you asked about disassembling to clean. Almost all of the TBAC suppressors are a welded sealed cans they do not disassemble to clean like the Banish 30 and some of the other suppressors out there. Like anything their are pros and cons to both and IMO which one is the better system largely depends on what you use it for. All of my cans except one are welded sealed cans and it has never been a problem I actually prefer them but others may feel differently.

If they aren’t in stock, does that matter? Seems stupid to say, but I’m looking at around 9 months or longer before my tax stamp gets approved. I just assumed I could buy one now and by the time the stamp is approved I would have it ready. Maybe wishful thinking.
Also, is it worth going with a trust? My daughters might end up shooting the gun, but only if I’m with them. They’re only 7 and 9 now, but hopefully they’ll be hunting with me in a few years. But I would be helping them and they would just be pulling the trigger.

B23

WKR
Do you have an actual Class III SOT licensed dealer you're working with locally? It would probably be in your best interest to get together with them and go through everything because even though its not a super difficult process there are definitely specific elements to it that you should understand and a ftf conversation or even an over the phone conversation with a dealer would really help clear things up for you.

If you don't have any Class III dealers local to you I would contact Silencer Central because they have a process sorted out that no other dealer, that I'm aware of, can touch.

OP
F
Do you have an actual Class III SOT licensed dealer you're working with locally? It would probably be in your best interest to get together with them and go through everything because even though its not a super difficult process there are definitely specific elements to it that you should understand and a ftf conversation or even an over the phone conversation with a dealer would really help clear things up for you.

If you don't have any Class III dealers local to you I would contact Silencer Central because they have a process sorted out that no other dealer, that I'm aware of, can touch.

He’s waiting for the paperwork from the ATF for his SOT license. He thinks it should be done this week or next, but who knows.
I would normally have just gone with Silencer Central, but I didn’t see the TBAC ultra 7 listed on their website. I’d imagine I’d be happy with the Banshee 30, but I’m going to see what my smith cooks up. Trying to support local and he’s always done really good work for me.

Sled

WKR
You could call tbac directly and see if they are able to do anything for you but as I understand it you'll just have to wait. The suppressors I bought in the past you have to order through your class 3 SOT, wait for them to get it in and then start your paperwork. It's a long process and one of the reasons why people don't typically order their first suppressor if it's not in stock. could be a couple years before it's on the end of your barrel.

renagde

WKR
He’s waiting for the paperwork from the ATF for his SOT license. He thinks it should be done this week or next, but who knows.
I would normally have just gone with Silencer Central, but I didn’t see the TBAC ultra 7 listed on their website. I’d imagine I’d be happy with the Banshee 30, but I’m going to see what my smith cooks up. Trying to support local and he’s always done really good work for me.

Find a dealer that has a Silencer Shop kiosk. Ship the suppressor to them from any dealer that has them in stock. Setup a Single Shot trust. Super easy to do and makes suppressor buying so simple.

Sticky762

FNG
SiCo Harvester will allow you to use a Muzzle Brake and Suppressor. Im sure others do to, but hard to beat the harvesters weight and caliber rating.

Thunderbeast ultra 7 is a great choice, I have the 5”, 7”, and 9”. If I could only have one it would be the 7”.

On the cleaning, I only havent done it yet, but Thunderbeast has a cleaning service where you can ship it to them to clean it for you. It a nominal cost, and maybe even you only pay shipping.