Suppressor for Bolt Gun?

PAbow84

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to buy a can for use on bolt guns anything from a 6.5PRC to a 28 Nosler, to a 300wm. It just seems to me that most are built with the AR in mind. I'm not saying I'd never use it with my ARs, but the bolt guns are the primary reason for this one. Quiet, lightweight, no loss in accuracy. I also don't see any reason I would need anything other than direct thread. Anyone have any recommendations from personal experience?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have 2 Sig cans. One direct thread, one quick detach. The 30 cal can is a nice complement to my 6.5 CM and I’m very happy with the Sig’s as compared to my other cans. If you have several rifles you would want to suppress, go the quick detach route. It will cost you $80 for each additional muzzle break adapter, but man are they handy! For a one gun and done deal, I’d go direct thread.

Last edited:

Sled

WKR
i have a silencerco harvester in jail currently. i chose it for efficiency, cost, weight, thread options and i liked the muzzle brake on the end. also it didn't hurt that the company is local for me. any issues should be easy to remedy.

the tbac ultra 7 was a close 2nd. maybe next time.... light, short and efficient.

Pootros

FNG
I have a Silencerco Hybrid but if I had to do it over again I would go with a Thunder Beast Ultra 7. Singerworx Hunter is another option. They are crazy light and relatively cheap at about $600.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Have several brands. Really like the Thunderbeast Ultra's the best.

I will add that I am not a fan of cans on Magnums. The recoil pulse is too long to spot my own hits. So a 6.5 PRC is about as large as I will go with a can.

SDHNTR

WKR
Why? I sure don’t understand this recent trend in silencers on hunting guns. Call me overly traditional but I don’t get it. Someone enlighten me please. What’s the point?

Why? I sure don’t understand this recent trend in silencers on hunting guns. Call me overly traditional but I don’t get it. Someone enlighten me please. What’s the point?

I’ve got a buddy who is a coyote killing machine. He’s able to whack multiple dogs on a single set using subsonic 300 AAC... sounds like a staple gun and the other dogs don’t even hear it over the call. Limited in range but guys like him are surgical in stacking predators.

I’ve got two cans waiting for freedom. The 22 can will be great for whacking invasive collared doves (skittish) and the LMX will help keep my old neighbor from bitching. Also think the bigger can will help teach my kids to shoot without being startled by the bark.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

One of the biggest reasons I got into them is hunting with my wife and son. It makes it really easy to communicate before the shot. Plus, I don't want there hearing all ****** up like mine.

Last edited:

People tend to prefer lower recoil and quieter shooting rifles. That and animals seem to react a bit differently to the shot at times if the rifle is suppressed.
I’ve only used one on one hunt thus far and I’m not sure the benefits exceed the extra weight and length. Depends on the hunt I guess.

Have several brands. Really like the Thunderbeast Ultra's the best.

I will add that I am not a fan of cans on Magnums. The recoil pulse is too long to spot my own hits. So a 6.5 PRC is about as large as I will go with a can.
Good intel. Thanx Ryan.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
i have a omega 30 cal can and its a game changer for hunting. i killed 6 deer 3 antelope and my elk with it this year and 4 of the deer were standing next to each other. shoot 1 and shoot the next one. same with the antelope. when i shot my elk at 60 yds or so elk ran towards me after the shot

204guy

WKR
My suggestion would be to get a lightweight (titanium) .30 cal. about 7". Omega, TB ul7, dakota silencer, ect. The 28nos is going to potentially be pushing pressure limits of some cans depending on barrel length.

To the why. My wife and I killed our antelope this year while my 3 year old daughter was sitting 5' behind us. Theres a few cons and a few plusses depends on what you're doing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Why would a person NOT want a quieter rifle? Besides the obvious hearing benefit, they are much less disturbing to both people and animals. Does anybody actually LIKE the muzzle blast? Wouldn't we all prefer that our guns were as quiet as a bow?

I would also note that while not "traditional" in the USA, there is a long track record of hunting use in many other country's, including Scandinavia, NZ, the UK, etc.

There are drawbacks, but if you removed the time and tax stamp requirements they would rapidly become common I think.

rodney482

WKR
I use a Trash Panda on 5 rifles. Everything from .223-28 nosler. You can see the cherry bombs (adapters) in the picE49860B3-366C-4E45-BA0D-0F68398D0A19.jpeg

One of the biggest reasons I got into them is hunting with my wife and son. It makes it really easy to communicate before the shot. Plus, I don't want there hearing all ****** up like mine.

Exactly, I am in the same camp. It’s less about me, more about the people around me that I care about. Even if it’s not the wife or kids, I started using one because my main hunting buddy complained about his ears ringing after a shot on a trip.

If you read around thunderbeast will be the gold standard. I have an ultra 5 direct thread in 6.5 for lighter shorter high country guns, then a ultra 7 30 cal that I can move around to all guns.

For a 1 and done can solution I would go the ultra 7 30 cal. But good luck just getting 1...

archp625

WKR
GAP has a new lightweight/short suppressor out that looks very interesting. It doesn’t look like you should use it with 28 nosler sized cases though.
You are correct. I believe Mack brothers built it for them. If I'm not mistaken I believe the suppressor covers a couple inches of the barrel so its not as long.