Suppressor for hunting Questions

B23

WKR
I know the changeable caliber specific end cap thing probably makes for a compelling sales pitch but with the end cap going smaller for different calibers but not the baffles I recall seeing a test where it didn't really change suppression levels all that much not to mention you take the risk of forgetting which end cap is on it and have a big oops.

Last edited:
I know the changeable caliber specific end cap thing probably makes for a compelling sales pitch but with the end cap going smaller for different calibers but not the baffles I recall seeing a test where it didn't really change suppression levels all that much not to mention you take the rest of forgetting which end cap is on it and have a big oops.
This 100%. There isn't anything actually wrong with most suppressor designs, but there's a lot of unnecessary gadgetry going on throughout the industry in the name of being unique and "better". If it was proven beneficial and actually better, every single manufacturer would be doing it.

Lawnboi

WKR
I wouldn't call it a monster at 12.6 oz, 8.4" long, and 1.73" OD.
I thought the same till I saw the thing in person. I’d love one of them or a magnus for my match rifle or maybe a heavier magnum but no way I’m carrying that in the woods.

We will see, a guy I hunt and shoot with got one on the free stamp. Be curious to see how it sounds next to what I have/have coming.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I know the changeable caliber specific end cap thing probably makes for a compelling sales pitch but with the end cap going smaller for different calibers but not the baffles I recall seeing a test where it didn't really change suppression levels all that much not to mention you take the rest of forgetting which end cap is on it and have a big oops.
Sure, it’s only 2 or 3 dB additional reduction. But that’s really a 20-30% reduction in energy.

Cumulatively, it adds up. If just for hunting purposes, yeah, I’d say not worth it. But if you’re shooting a lot, then maybe it makes sense. Or maybe having multiple suppressors available makes more sense from a safety perspective at that point.

Lawnboi

WKR
You should see a 338 can, it makes my 9'' 30 can look like a toy.
Iv seen a hand full 9” ultras, and have an 8” can myself, the 338 is on another level. Those 1.8” 9 inchers are big bastards though

Buddy and I made jokes all the way home, you think the difference between a 7” 1.5 vs a 9” 1.8” dosnt sound like much on paper but then to have to walk around with it… maybe some guys are not so lucky

If you live in Georgia, check out liberty cans. I believe they’re located in Trenton, GA, wherever that is. They may be able to demo some of their options. The infinity x is a great multi-caliber suppressor that is light, quiet, and self serviceable. I’ve used it on a Firefly, SP15-22, AR, and 6.5cm, and have been really impressed. Like others have said, the SilencerCos are good too.

B23

WKR
Sure, it’s only 2 or 3 dB additional reduction. But that’s really a 20-30% reduction in energy.
That would be great if it was that much. I don't recall if it was Ray that had a video on it or another but the one I saw different end caps made little to no difference.

My DA Ghost uses wipes and I can tell the difference when they are in versus not but that's a little different than end caps and I don't think I'd want to use wipes on a precision shooting rifle.

OP
S

ssramage

FNG
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I ended up going with a Rugged Razor from Silencer Shop. I watched a lot of Youtube videos and read some feedback at various sites. Based on the price and availability, I thought this would be a good starter can. It's a little shorter than I was originally thinking, but my 6.5CM has a longer barrel already and wanted something that would still work in the tower blind without being ungodly long.

z987k

WKR
. So in reality your 6.5 creed will be louder than if you were to shoot a 300 wm through a 30 cal can.
This is not true at all.
The 300wm will be louder. A 308win might be a bit quieter than a 6.5cm from a 30 cal can.

I've got my first 2 suppressors still sitting in jail, so I'm no expert, but here's what I've learned from my own reading and being around other people's suppressors

You could get one 30 cal can to fit your needs and use something like the Silencerco ASR mount to switch between. It'll require a compatible muzzle device for each rifle but switching is pretty quick and easy

On bolt guns you'll be hearing safe, on semi autos (like ARs) you won't fully be hearing safe because of the ejection noise. All good suppressor companies list the dB rating

Suppressors also function as good or better than muzzle brakes for recoil reduction, and I've heard they can increase accuracy and velocity on some rifles.

The buying process seems daunting but it is super easy.

Hope that helps and I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in with more info
Suppressors are less effective at recoil management than a brake. They help, without a doubt, but a brake is a more efficient and effective method of reducing recoil. Lotta tests that show this. Anecdotally, my omega 30 has a qd attachment to a sico brake. Shooting the can vs the brake back to back it's very clear the can kicks a bit more than with the brake. It reduces concussion of course which makes a lot of folks FEEL like there's less recoil, especially in big calibers, but in terms of energy a can doesn't reduce as much.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my tax stamp back (a hair over 14 months) and have a few questions in regards to hunting rifles set up for supressors.

1. Do you guys run a shorter barrel than without? My hunting rigs usually have a 24” barrel but I don’t think I want to add 7” to that length so am considering having mine cut back to 20”.

2. I’m figuring I’m going to loose about 100fps, so about 80 yards of range for my desired impact velocity. Your thoughts?

John

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
This? Also, what size of threads on a Tikka TX3lite barrel. Cut to 20” will 5/8/24 work? Another gun is a Tikka Superlite, fluted barrel, should I re barrel it?

Rich M

WKR
If you reload you can load heavy and slow bullets that will make no noise whatsoever, just the sound of the action if shooting a semi.

Otherwise, standard bullets and a can are soft enough that you can gonwithout hearing protection and talk while guns are going off.

505Wapiti

WKR
I have a banished 30 in jail waiting to come to the house. I asked if they might sell out and the salesman sent me a photo of shelves and shelves full of silencers......
Wow, always wanted a peak inside the jail. One of those is mine, would be nice to get paperwork clear so I can actually enjoy it in this lifetime.

z987k

WKR
This? Also, what size of threads on a Tikka TX3lite barrel. Cut to 20” will 5/8/24 work? Another gun is a Tikka Superlite, fluted barrel, should I re barrel it?
I have a t3 lite that I cut to 20" and threaded. The biggest thread you can put on the barrel at 20" is 1/2x28. You might be able to go back further to get to 5/8 threads, but it's going to be a ways further back.
I wouldn't go past 30-06 with 1/2 threads. Some recommend no more than 308win.

Tikka lites are not an idea barrel for threading due to thinness.

z987k

WKR
Just got my tax stamp back (a hair over 14 months) and have a few questions in regards to hunting rifles set up for supressors.

1. Do you guys run a shorter barrel than without? My hunting rigs usually have a 24” barrel but I don’t think I want to add 7” to that length so am considering having mine cut back to 20”.

2. I’m figuring I’m going to loose about 100fps, so about 80 yards of range for my desired impact velocity. Your thoughts?

John
I don't know what round and range you're hunting at, but for most stuff people hunt with, if you look at the ballistics inside 500 yards, the difference between 18 inches and 26 inches doesn't really matter. The animal is still dead. If you use MPBR, you'll lose some yards. If you dial it's irrelevant.

Lawnboi

WKR
1/2x 28 is is the most you will get and still have an appropriate shoulder.

The above isn’t recommended by most smiths for anything over 22 cal.

If you wish to use your barrel buy a thunderbeast and send it to them for a face mount. That’s the only viable solution I have found to the skinny tikka barrel.

You would be near sbr length to even get 9/16th