Suppressor for hunting Questions

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
1. Do you guys run a shorter barrel than without? My hunting rigs usually have a 24” barrel but I don’t think I want to add 7” to that length so am considering having mine cut back to 20”.

Yes, absolutely. For out west use- 20” seems to be the norm, however most are starting to go shorter that I’m around.

2. I’m figuring I’m going to loose about 100fps, so about 80 yards of range for my desired impact velocity. Your thoughts?

John

About 20fps per inch with loads made for the barrel. Totally worth it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
1/2x 28 is is the most you will get and still have an appropriate shoulder.

The above isn’t recommended by most smiths for anything over 22 cal.

If you wish to use your barrel buy a thunderbeast and send it to them for a face mount. That’s the only viable solution I have found to the skinny tikka barrel.

You would be near sbr length to even get 9/16th

We have dozens and dozens of T3 lites threaded 1/2x28 and 9/16ths with an adapter for 5/8x24. If your gunsmith won’t thread a T3 barrel at 9/16ths…. I’d call Shaen and have him do it.

Lawnboi

WKR
We have dozens and dozens of T3 lites threaded 1/2x28 and 9/16ths with an adapter for 5/8x24. If your gunsmith won’t thread a T3 barrel at 9/16ths…. I’d call Shaen and have him do it.
Iv got a few buddies that may be going that route soon as they can’t find anyone to thread it against the .100 shoulder ‘guideline’.

I bought a factory 30 cal that was threaded 1/2”. I personally wouldn’t be too worried threading a 6 or 6.5 to 1/2”.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Iv got a few buddies that may be going that route soon as they can’t find anyone to thread it against the .100 shoulder ‘guideline’.

I bought a factory 30 cal that was threaded 1/2”. I personally wouldn’t be too worried threading a 6 or 6.5 to 1/2”.

Not a bit. This one was cut back to 20” and threaded 5/8x24. It has had a lot of rounds on it since with a direct thread suppressor.

8AD2CBF9-32FE-42BA-97D1-48A6B9EE805A.jpeg

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
You could buy a 30 cal can that is going to work, but not be the best all-around. The smaller you get, the louder it will be. So in reality your 6.5 creed will be louder than if you were to shoot a 300 wm through a 30 cal can.
You sure in a 30 cal can that a 300 Win Mag is going to be quieter than a 6.5 CM? I would understand a .308 Win.....

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You sure in a 30 cal can that a 300 Win Mag is going to be quieter than a 6.5 CM? I would understand a .308 Win.....

The difference in decibels when shooting a sub caliber bullet through a can is barely measurable, and totally not noticeable to the ear in a good can. I use 30 cal cans on everything for personal use, and the difference with a 223 for instance in a 223 can and the same can in 30cal can not be heard.

Just got my tax stamp back (a hair over 14 months) and have a few questions in regards to hunting rifles set up for supressors.

1. Do you guys run a shorter barrel than without? My hunting rigs usually have a 24” barrel but I don’t think I want to add 7” to that length so am considering having mine cut back to 20”.
Chop it down to 18", 20" is too long.

Form,

Have you ever seen a standard 21" 6.5 CM Fieldcraft that had its barrel threaded? Is this even possible with the relatively thin barrel profile?
Fieldcraft-.jpg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I may have missed it, but who threaded the Fieldcraft? I too have a 21" FC and a TBAC Ultra 5 (5/8x24 DT) I'd love to be able to also use on my FC! Very interested in the appropriate adapters/items needed.

Can’t remember the smith, wasn’t my rifle. However, I think it was threaded 1/2x28 with an adapter. I’d give Shaen @Shooter71 a shout.

I may have missed it, but who threaded the Fieldcraft? I too have a 21" FC and a TBAC Ultra 5 (5/8x24 DT) I'd love to be able to also use on my FC! Very interested in the appropriate adapters/items needed.
Call thunderbeast I think they require 5/8-24 threads. I think they can do the threading as well. The 21” Fieldcrafts are a different contour I think than the 18’s so may be more challenging to get to 5/8-24 without running an adaptor. Either way I’d start with a call to thunderbeast to see what they require. Might be better to find a 18” threaded Barrett.

Lawnboi

WKR
What I’d do. Send the rifle and can to thunder beast, have them turn the can into a CB version, and have a face mount installed on the field craft

RonEgg

FNG
An immense amount of knowledge and experience on this thread. I will add my two cents worth and hopefully contribute a bit.
I have three cans, one sits on a .22mag rifle, another is .45 acp which by definition is subsonic and for handguns. The last, and the one used most, is .30 cal and is capable from .17 to 300wm. I have bi-lock adaptors on 3 .308’s, a 300bo, 300wm and 3 .223’s. Bolt guns and gas, long and SBR’s. Except for rare exceptions I never shoot without one. Most of our hunting here in my part of Texas is from blinds. The length of a suppressor is not as much an impediment in this activity.
The only thing I have given into, is my suppressor says no shorter than 24” for the 300wm . My .308 hunting rifle is 20” and I have a gas gun and two bolt guns at 16”. All are zeroed suppressed, so minimal shift on poi. Ranges normally 100-200 so that shift has small effect. While the lessening of recoil may be small, for me it reduces the 300 down to .308 levels.

6.5x284

WKR
What I’d do. Send the rifle and can to thunder beast, have them turn the can into a CB version, and have a face mount installed on the field craft
Good info. I reached out to them to get some more details. Appreciate it.

Jarl Varg

FNG
First time I shot a suppressor was at the Gunwerks long range university and its a game changer. It is not only quieter but it has a different recoil feel to it. Its not as sharp and a little more drawn out. My buddy never lost sight of his Aoudad with a 28 nosler.

MojoTX

Lil-Rokslider
Good info. I reached out to them to get some more details. Appreciate it.

Did you ever hear back? I’m also wanting to use a TBAC on a Fieldcraft.

Does anybody know if using an Area 419 suppressor mount and adapter would eliminate the need for a face plate?

6.5x284

WKR
Did you ever hear back? I’m also wanting to use a TBAC on a Fieldcraft.

Does anybody know if using an Area 419 suppressor mount and adapter would eliminate the need for a face plate?
They responded very quick. They can do a face brake (think he said face brake is mounted on 9/16x24 cut threads). Basically I'd send in my can and they would thread my FC, convert my can to CB from DT, and install the face brake. I'll wait until after a September trip everything is dialed in for and probably have the work done this fall or winter.

tuk

FNG
You probably don’t need more input. I have a few. For hunting I have a yankee hill they have a brake that makes it easy to switch between rifles easily. I use sub sonic 300 blackout for short range less than 100 yards. I use a 308 for longer range. Blackout i can shoot all day without hearing protection. 308 it quiets enough to take a few shots without. Good luck lots of info out there.