Suppressor Help: 5" vs 7" cans for Hunting

When purchasing a suppressor, price should be your last concern, seriously. It's essentially a lifetime purchase and the wait time sucks . Figure out exactly what you want and save the money up to buy it. If you buy a cheap one and don't like it, you've waisted a year of your life and a $200 tax stamp on a substandard item.

There's plenty of gimmicks out there , good shit starts at around $1000+ stamp.

duchntr

WKR
My omega with ti end caps is a hair over 6" and around 12oz,might be a good option for you?. btw silencerco does a mill discount through their Speq program, think I paid around 750 for my Omega.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
Plus one for the Omega. I run mine from 223 all the way up to 7mm RM & 300WM. For 300 Wby on up I run either a Saker ASR or an older Specwar. I prefer Silencerco because of all of the dealings I've had with them (baffle strikes, etc). Most of my rifles shoot better with the can on

WKR
I have happily given up about 100 fps and chopped all my suppressed rigs to 18-19". With the 6" total extra length from an installed UL7 they are quite handy still. The extra weight of the suppressor is offset nicely by the lost barrel weight. Balance remains same as prior. I have one heavy rig that still has a 22" barrel and suppressed is great, but it isn't a packer.

The UL7 is great and betting the new TBAC rigs are even nicer. Another vote for not worrying about price and simply buying the best that is currently available.

OP
RaggedHunter
I have happily given up about 100 fps and chopped all my suppressed rigs to 18-19". With the 6" total extra length from an installed UL7 they are quite handy still. The extra weight of the suppressor is offset nicely by the lost barrel weight. Balance remains same as prior. I have one heavy rig that still has a 22" barrel and suppressed is great, but it isn't a packer.

The UL7 is great and betting the new TBAC rigs are even nicer. Another vote for not worrying about price and simply buying the best that is currently available.

My go to rifle has a 24" proof carbon fiber barrel, so cutting that one down isn't an option. But I do agree that if one is going to get into the suppressor game that it makes sense to buy a high quality suppressor, and if length is the issue take that from the barrel rather than sacrifice suppressor quality. Barrel length will certainly be a big consideration on future builds/re barrels. I'm thinking that new TBAC can looks pretty awesome, cant wait for some testing to come out comparing it side by side with the ultra 7.

Ratpick68

FNG
FWIW - i just spoke with Silencer Shop about TBAC Ultra 7 and they suggested I look at the Q Half Nelson for hunting purposes. Their reasoning: TBAC is recommended 1000-1200 yards tournament shooters and suggested the Q is appropriate for < 1000 yards hunting scenarios. They also said Q has the only warranty for negligence (cross thread, drop, run over, etc...). Hopefully others can shed some light on this subject. Thanks!

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
I have a TBAC Ultra 7 and a SiCo Omega 300. Both are great, and perform exceptionally well on my precision rifles and hunting rifles. The Ultra is a bit longer, and sounds a little less sharp, the Omega a little shorter and I feel like I have less POI shift on most rifles. Both are great options.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW - i just spoke with Silencer Shop about TBAC Ultra 7 and they suggested I look at the Q Half Nelson for hunting purposes. Their reasoning: TBAC is recommended 1000-1200 yards tournament shooters and suggested the Q is appropriate for < 1000 yards hunting scenarios. They also said Q has the only warranty for negligence (cross thread, drop, run over, etc...). Hopefully others can shed some light on this subject. Thanks!
I’d do a lot of research on Q before sending them any money. TBAC is the gold standard for precision rifle suppressors, hands down. TBAC is well established and will be around for a long time. Some people have bought cans from “small shops” that folded and either never got the can, or have a suppressor that can’t ever be repaired or serviced. My only gripe with TBAC is their backlog. I would only buy from a stocking dealer- like Mile High or Silencer Shop that has one in stock.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
I'm hoping someone has experience with the smaller ~5" cans compared to the ~7" cans, and can share your experience with each. Would the little bit you save on weight and length be worth it in your opinion? Or would you rather pack the little extra for the added suppression? Are the 5" cans adequate or a waste of time on a hunting rifle?

I was asking the very same question about 9 months ago, and even though I should be close to getting the new can, I'd be lying if I said I haven't revisited the dilemma!

I had really similar priorities and weighed a slew of similar advice. All signs pointed to the Ultra 7 & loudly. Then I went and shot all of them: Ultra 5, 7 & 9, Nomad, Sandman Ti, Half Nelson & Full Nelson. I wanted to love the Ultra 5, but it was loud. Too loud to shoot more than a couple of times without ears, but I could see it being an awesome second can for sure. The 9 and Full Nelson were both amazing (9 was better), but both were too long to pack around for my taste. The nomad was shockingly good too but if I just wasn't feeling the mounts. Between the 7 and the Half-Nelson, I made the wildly unpopular choice to buy the Q. To my ear, the HN was a bit quieter, but it also shot nice groups with less shift. To be clear there was no apparent difference between the two in terms of precision. Recoil impulse was also similar between the two. I wanted to like the 7 better, and if I had it to do over again, I would probably just by the TB, but I did what I did.

Someone else mentioned the mirage on ti cans, and I imagine it'll be worse on the q, and the addition of a sock will make it pretty girthy.

Good luck & hope your wait isnt too long!

Last edited:

HuntnPack

WKR
For my second suppressor that’s going on a 24” 300 PRC, I’m going to get the TBAC Dominus CB. Good weight, length, & dB rating.
Rated up to 300 RUM.
(Some are only rated to 300 win mag,)
I’m on the waiting list. 👍

Last edited:
Been using the Harvester 30 on a .300 WM with 24 inch barrel for my primary hunting rig the last few years. Yeah, its a little long, but after the first few outings you are plenty used to it and becomes a non-issue. suppression is very good as is POI. Also use it on the "black" rifles in .556 an 7MM-08 with no issues. My daughter loves hunting and shooting with it as well. Pick a good can and enjoy my friend.

Attachments

• 20190929_174710.jpg
    20190929_174710.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 39

Dmtindell

FNG
I was asking the very same question about 9 months ago, and even though I should be close to getting the new can, I'd be lying if I said I haven't revisited the dilemma!

I had really similar priorities and weighed a slew of similar advice. All signs pointed to the Ultra 7 & loudly. Then I went and shot all of them: Ultra 5, 7 & 9, Nomad, Sandman Ti, Half Nelson & Full Nelson. I wanted to love the Ultra 5, but it was loud. Too loud to shoot more than a couple of times without ears, but I could see it being an awesome second can for sure. The 9 and Full Nelson were both amazing (9 was better), but both were too long to pack around for my taste. The nomad was shockingly good too but if I just wasn't feeling the mounts. Between the 7 and the Half-Nelson, I made the wildly unpopular choice to buy the Q. To my ear, the HN was a bit quieter, but it also shot nice groups with less shift. To be clear there was no apparent difference between the two in terms of precision. Recoil impulse was also similar between the two. I wanted to like the 7 better, and if I had it to do over again, I would probably just by the TB, but I did what I did.

Someone else mentioned the mirage on ti cans, and I imagine it'll be worse on the q, and the addition of a sock will make it pretty girthy.

Good luck & hope your wait isnt too long!
@TristanJH. Could you please message me about your rifle you have for sale. I have made my 10 post and updated my profile but it still wont let me message you. I would like more info on the christensen 6.5.