Suppressor in thick stuff

Gli_ryan

FNG
I have a 7 mag that I hunt elk with. Really thick timber and brush terrain, mainly north idaho. I’m thinking about picking up a suppressor and either mounting it on my 7 mag or picking up a short barreled .308 for suppressed hunting. Also planning on using it on my .223 ar15 for dog hunting.

Wondering if anyone is hunting with a long setup like a magnum caliber with suppressor in brush/thick vegetation and how pissed off you get with it. The more I think about it I feel like I’ll lose my cool getting hung up on brush even more than I do now
Anyone hunting a suppressed .308? A suppressed 16” barrel .308 should be good out to 400 or 500 yards for elk I’d imagine?

I’m looking at Gemtech dagger 2, thunder beast 7, and maybe a q trash panda. Anything titanium in the 7” or 8” length.

I bought the Griffin Ultralight 7" for my Christensen Arms 7 mag. With it's 26" barrel I doubt I'll be brush busting with the suppressor on it but will probably use it in all other hunting scenarios.
I think the 16" barrel will be a great combo & shouldn't give you a fit. It would still be shorter than my standard barrel.
Haven't received it yet though, still waiting on the feds.
As you mentioned I justified the cost by being able to use it on several other guns.

I hunt with a 24" 7 RM with a 9" suppressor. It's annoying at first but you get used to it quick , kinda like having a boner all the time, it's in the way sometimes but it's awesome once it's game time!

I specifically recommend almost anything other than Gemtech, you'll thank me later.

Duckbrx

FNG
SAS Barricade 6.5" any barrel 25" an under would be not different than a 30" shotgun in a duck blind!

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Silencer tech has a 5" that is great!!
Thunder beast ultra 5 is also.
Have a Rifle that has a 5" Silencer tech on a 16" barrel. Works great, will just fold the buttstock up and the rifle practically can fit any decent size hunting pack. Actually Zipped up and fully enclosed!!

308 Tikka cut down to 16.5 w/ suppressor is a lot nicer than carrying my 300 with suppressor. Two things it helps with...no hitting overhead branches when walking through dense stuff...swinging around in thick pine. The velocity loss has not made a difference on the elk myself or kids have shot with it to date. The first one is the big one for me...when walking and carrying it my hands can always steer muzzle through brush..but when slung you are having to duck underneath stuff and hitting up top with my 300.

OP
G

Gli_ryan

FNG
I specifically recommend almost anything other than Gemtech, you'll thank me later.

Ive heard this a couple times but have had one explicit recommendation above all else for Gemtech. Why do more people not like them than do?

They used to be great, but they sold out a few years ago and they went way downhill. Poor product quality control, extremely poor customer service and overpriced compared to other higher quality products.

They're better than nothing, but I sure wouldn't waste a year of my life and a tax stamp to be married to one.

OP
G

Gli_ryan

FNG
308 Tikka cut down to 16.5 w/ suppressor is a lot nicer than carrying my 300 with suppressor. Two things it helps with...no hitting overhead branches when walking through dense stuff...swinging around in thick pine. The velocity loss has not made a difference on the elk myself or kids have shot with it to date. The first one is the big one for me...when walking and carrying it my hands can always steer muzzle through brush..but when slung you are having to duck underneath stuff and hitting up top with my 300.

how comfortable would you be with longer shots on big game with that short 308? Or how far have you been taking shots with it?

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
Plan how you carry your rifle, and practice maneuvering with it, and you’ll be fine. I use a SiCo Omega 300 and a TBAC Ultra 7 on 26” barrels, never find myself “pissed off” about anything.

how comfortable would you be with longer shots on big game with that short 308? Or how far have you been taking shots with it?
I have gone to 400 on cow elk with the 308 running 168 nosler accubond lr...Running 2575 at the muzzle. Hunched up and did not go more than 20 yds. I will say this, I practice and can put my shots where they need to be reliably. Used it on a few antelope between 200-350 w/o issue and a mule deer at 325 so far. Still had pass thru's on all. My kid ran a short 308 with nosler partitions when we lucked into a trip to namibia and he dropped an oryx, warthog and springbok with it ( 200yds or less on all) . I dropped a kudu at 100 yds or so with it. All single shots.

So ultra 7 or trash panda I guess I’ll stick to.
Suppressors are an item you'll have for life and on top of being a colossal jerk, the owner of Q is very unstable (as evidenced by his wife's restraining order). He spends his time on internet forums talking crap about other suppressor manufacturers while the titanium welds on his suppressors don't even pass spec (they look like rainbows). Here's a fun anecdote for how much everyone hates him. I got a free barrel blank from Bartlein, which would normally cost me over $300, from Tracy Bartlein himself because I mentioned how much of a jerk Kevin Brittingham is to someone else. I had never spoken to Tracy before.

Go with another manufacturer, my preference would be TBAC but there are other great ones too. Things can go wrong with suppressors and when they do you'll want to be dealing with good people.

OP
G

Gli_ryan

FNG
Went to my local shop that has suppressors in stock. Had the tbac ultra 7 and trash panda. I think I like the trash panda more. A little more volume, I like the design of it, and it comes with both brake adapters I’ll need. Silencer shop doesn’t have either suppressors in stock. My local place is in Washington but I live in Idaho. So I’ll have to dick around with transferring it to Idaho if I go through them. Any other place like silencer shop around?

I am not sure I want to support Q with a purchase yet, but Im leaning that way or want to look for another suppressor with good volume like the trash panda.

Last edited:
If your local shop has what you want, buy it. F-sinencershop in particular. I personally would recommend TBAC, but if you want a Panda jump on it . None of us are getting any younger.

OP
G

Gli_ryan

FNG
Yeah I just need to figure out if any shops will allow me to transfer it to them buy through an Idaho shop. All the Idaho shops use silencershop and keep nothing in stock.

I am not sure I want to support Q with a purchase yet, but Im leaning that way or want to look for another suppressor with good volume like the trash panda.
You should inquire about the TBAC Terminus, it seems like it has similar dimensions to the Trash Panda if that's the form factor you're looking for. Not sure how many they're shipping out right now though.

OP
G

Gli_ryan

FNG
I don’t really care what it looks like too much. After talking with the shop I am leaning towards the single wall vs double wall like the ultra 7. Sucks that the Q guy sounds like such a dick. Also sounds like he knows what he’s doing.