Suppressor Info/Clarity Needed

DAD

FNG
Hey Y'all,

I am interested in going through the process of getting a suppressor for deer hunting. A lot of times I don't have time to put my ear plugs in and I also hunt around some houses and would like to quiet everything down.

I went to talk to the guys at my local gun shop and they completely shot down the idea. They told me that they would never own a suppressor because as soon as you complete the paperwork, you are giving the government the right to enter your home without your permission to look for weapons and whatnot.

Any truth to this? Any reason to not pursue a suppressor due to regulations?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hahahhahhahha.

When it comes to that, you really think the gov is not gonna find out who to go after?

I mean, what does that scenario even look like?

If they are coming for guns in that scenario, is that gonna make the difference for you?

You can "lose your guns" in a boating accident just like they will, lol.

And, literally everyone I know that gets a suppressor wishes they would have sooner.

It doesn't waive your constitutional rights. Ask them for the legal citation where they can come without a warrant and search your person or papers.

Gorp2007

WKR
If you google "NFA 4th Amendment" you'll find a number of articles written by attorneys whose sole focus is gun rights and they unanimously agree that owning an NFA item (like a suppressor) does change your protections under the 4th Amendment at all.

gbflyer

WKR
Many FFL dealers who can’t be bothered to get the license to sell them say that. You do the application to get a stamp, wait 6-8 months, go to the class 3 dealer who’s holding it for you, they yellow sheet it, and it’s yours. As it was explained to me, the BATFE is the ONLY agency with authority to ask you to see your stamp. LE can ask, and you don’t have to show them. But your life will be easier if you do.

Of course many of our European friends laugh at our process. Even in the land of many tight gun control countries, one can simply just go buy a suppressor OTC and put it in their rifle. Our law is stupid. But I digress...

If you're impatient file a form 1 and build one yourself. You can easily cut your wait time in half by doing this. I won't say that the can will be any cheaper or better than a professionally built one but it's awfully close. If you don't have access to any machines check out ECCO machine on facebook I believe. He does some excellent work taking a crappy form 1 can (a tube with a endcap drilled) and rebuilding them.

Oh and your local gun shop sounds like the typical uninformed type when it comes to silencers. If you want to go to a store for input I'd echo the above advice of searching silencershop for the nearest kiosk. You can also file your form 1 through them.

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
Go buy it. I waited, and all I figured out is that I waited to long.

I did a form 1 while waiting, took 25 days to get the stamp. It's simple enough and it lives on a 300 BO now.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
You will wish you had bought a suppressor earlier and will want more! It makes shooting much more enjoyable for you and everyone around you.

B23

WKR
I don't really know what it is but some folks just get stuck on viewing things a certain way, just because. Look at all the Creedmoor haters there are out there. Hell, just hearing or reading the word "Creedmoor" sends them into a tizzy and the first words out of their mouth is some blah blah blah about what a bunch of bullshit the Creedmoor is. Suppressors seem to have that same affect on people. My own father is a perfect example. I've had suppressors for years and when we'd be shooting together as soon as he saw me screwing one on the end of a barrel he go in to his oh you brought that GI Joe bullshit with you huh. It was comical how just the mention of a suppressor or the sight of one seemed to piss him off. Well, I guess the pressure was just more than he could bare because guess who now has a suppressor on order and is acting like a four year old the night before Christmas because the wait is just killing him, yep, my father and I've been enjoying ribbing him about his GI Joe bullshit suppressor purchase.

Like all the above have already mentioned, once you get one and start using it two things are guaranteed to happen. 1) You'll kick yourself in the ass for not buying one sooner. 2) You instantly be wanting another one. :)

They bring a lot of annoyance.

Rifles tend to shoot to a different POI with and without it. Making swapping back and forth an issue.
They effect the gas system on AR's making going back and forth an issue.
They make long barrels really long, making you want to have barrels cut down and threaded.
They make center fire rifles sound about like a 22LR.

All of these annoyances make you want to rectify them by getting a suppressor for each rifle you own.

Sounds like the usual fuddlore about any number of things. As always, it's full of crap. I've never seen a person who regretted getting a suppressor.

Wvroach

WKR
Your not giving permission for your home to be searched and you do not need a "class 3 license" as so many seem to think.

I got mine during the govt. Shutdown a couple years back and my wait was 13 months. I love having it and it's a ton of fun.

For your first I'd suggest getting the biggest diameter of what you think you will or may in the future use it on.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Also look at weight, minimum barrel lengths (there was a guy that cut down a .338 Lapua barrel to some ridiculous length like 14" or something and blew the guts out of his can) and caliber restrictions of the suppressor. Less weight on the end of the barrel is usually better imo.

There are a lot of good suppressors out there.

Enjoy

Antares

WKR
You need a new gun shop. Those guys sound lame.

I can go to Walmart, get 2 passport photos, go to my local shop, and have all of my forms submitted for a new suppressor in under an hour. It's really not as hard as people like to make it out to be...expensive yes, but not hard. Get one, you'll love it and so will your neighbors.

yojo.3

FNG
Ive heard that plenty, you buy one youre inviting them into your home. Fortunately thats not true. But even If youre willing to do the paperwork i doubt you have a bunch of guns with filed off serial numbers and stolen guns. Just buy it do the paperwork. Forget you bought it and then get a great surprise months down the road. The money is well worth it. The company i bought both of mine through had a buy one get a 22 silencer free for cyber monday. You can message me if you have questions. 5 silencers between my dad and I and 2 short barrels. We've been through the paperwork.