Suppressor on 24” Barrel....Hunting?

Hello All,

Does any use a suppressor on a 24 or 26” barrel? Is it unmanageable while hunting due to overal barrel length?

Suppressor would be approx 8” long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
T
I find 24” plus can to be the most I want to tote around. Shorter is definitely better for portability and balance. I use an 18” barrel most of the time

When you say 24” and 18”, those are the barrel lengths plus a suppressor correct?

Pootros

FNG
I use a suppressor on a 20” and 24” barrel. It makes the rifle very “top heavy” when carried with a sling. I do have a heavier can so that is part of the problem. I wish I would have gone for a lighter can from the get go but one can never have too many. I have my rifle strapped to my pack most of the time and then just pack my gun on my shoulder sans sling when I think I’m going to run into something.

OP
T
I use a suppressor on a 20” and 24” barrel. It makes the rifle very “top heavy” when carried with a sling. I do have a heavier can so that is part of the problem. I wish I would have gone for a lighter can from the get go but one can never have too many. I have my rifle strapped to my pack most of the time and then just pack my gun on my shoulder sans sling when I think I’m going to run into something.

I got a fairly light can (11 ounces). Do you notice much difference between the 20” and the 24” rifles? Do you prefer one over the other for mountain hunting? I’m debating between 20” barrel rifle or 24” barrel rifle

Depends on the kind of hunting you do. I just shot a couple of deer from treestands in SC using a 24" barreled Cooper with a 9" TBAC suppressor on the end of it. It was long but not a huge deal. If I was walking through thick brush I'd be hating life.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
For me a 24" barrel is barely tolerable. Add another 7"-9" of suppressor and now your at 31+ inches. May be tolerable sitting in a blind. Other then that, no way. I'd love to see you walk through just one 20 yard patch of alders with a 31"+ barrel. You'd be so frustrated it would look like a 2 year old throwing a meltdown temper tantrum.

Pootros

FNG
I got a fairly light can (11 ounces). Do you notice much difference between the 20” and the 24” rifles? Do you prefer one over the other for mountain hunting? I’m debating between 20” barrel rifle or 24” barrel rifle

I split the difference on my latest build and went with a carbon 22 inch. Felt it was a good compromise and I wanted a really light, packable rifle. The shorter barrel is definitely easier to pack around with the can on it. Both these rifles are M24 contour and not light. They are pigs but they shoot lights out. I can’t recommend the Remington 700 5R tactical rifles enough. The .308 I have is by far, the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.
I’m looking at a TBAC Ultra 7 for the next can. I could prob just go without one and save a bunch of weight but I really like shooting with one.

The weight doesn't bother me anymore, but the overall length can be a pain in thick country. It's not gonna stop me from running a suppressor though.

Just ordered a Thunder Beast Ultra 7" for a 24" inch carbon barrel. I hope I don't regret it.

You wont regret the Ultra, or at least I don't. For deer I have a 16.5" 308 with an ultra 9. Longer barrels are a bit of a pain, but the brake attach is so repeatable I have no second thoughts with taking it off and stowing it in a pack for transit.

The GA precision jager looks really cool and would be my pick for a hunting rifle, but not a multi purpose first rifle can.

Last edited:

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I run my Harvester 300 on my Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in 300WM with a 26" bbl. It works fine for me. I have killed a number of animals with it. I took the rifle to South Africa and hunted with a locally made can that also worked very well. I don't want to sacrifice the velocity that would come with shortening the barrel.