Suppressor Question - POI

mt100gr.

WKR
Ran into a curious situation and hoping someone with more experience than me can shed some light....

I recently took delivery of my long awaited rifle suppressor. I tested it on a handful of rifles and began accounting for the POI change specific to each rifle.

Last night, I took the suppressor apart to get an idea of the carbon build up after minimal use and put everything back together.

Tonight I was shooting a custom barreled Tikka 6.5 SAUM and ran into another POI change. (I'd already corrected the suppressed vs non-suppressed once).

The baffles in my suppressor have an oblong shaped hole and stack with an indexed notch to align the shaped holes. The cutout portion of the holes, can however, all end up oriented any direction (0- 360°, or ___o'clock, but all in a row due to indexing) when put back together inside the body.

Can the orientation of that row of cutouts on each baffle affect POI?

It's new barrel and has been shooting well even before the suppressor, but the group tonight, that was about 4 inches left of POA, was one I'd take a picture of!!

Thanks!!

If you did not put the baffles back the same way they were arranged then the harmonics could have changed. Disassemble it again and change the baffles orientation and shoot it to see if the poi changed again. If so, continue to do it and see which orientation provides the least amount of poi shift.

That's what I would do anyway

OP
M

mt100gr.

WKR
Thanks for the reply.

I suspect something of that nature. I'll more likely do some more shooting with it as is, since I doubt I'll take it apart again before hunting season. And since I put this rifle together to be a dedicated suppressed hunting rifle, I'll adjust zero and continue getting factory rounds thru it before I start handloading. This winter I may experiment with the baffle orientation some to see if I can minimize the POI change with and without the suppressor.

I'm curious if it will have changed things for my other rifles....

OP
M

mt100gr.

WKR
How could it not? You're changing the gas flow path and harmonics of the barrel.
Kind of what I am thinking, too. Not a big deal, as I haven't started adjusting zeros with this suppressor - just taking notes and watching the effects.

What has your experience been with this particular issue? Thanks!

It’s the turbulence of the gas. Those notches are called clips. Single clipped is best for max sound suppression. But as you found out if you take the suppressor apart your POI will be shifted most likely.

Kind of what I am thinking, too. Not a big deal, as I haven't started adjusting zeros with this suppressor - just taking notes and watching the effects.

What has your experience been with this particular issue? Thanks!
I don't have 1st hand experience with user serviceable centerfire suppressors. All of mine do not disassemble and POI is very repeatable. Seems like many who use take down mufflers spend a significant amount of time chasing their tail regarding repeatability.

There's a never ending argument about cleaning centerfire suppressors but I don't clean mine and have seen zero issues. Perhaps you should try shooting it dirty for a while and see if it works in your favor.

What make/model is it?

I know this advice may not be helpful now, (or for people on a budget or are just getting into the NFA game) but my experience (18 years of gov/competitive shooting and I own ~40 cans) recommends a dedicated can per firearm so you don't have to worry about rezeroing and POI shift.

OP
M

mt100gr.

WKR
I don't have 1st hand experience with user serviceable centerfire suppressors. All of mine do not disassemble and POI is very repeatable. Seems like many who use take down mufflers spend a significant amount of time chasing their tail regarding repeatability.

There's a never ending argument about cleaning centerfire suppressors but I don't clean mine and have seen zero issues. Perhaps you should try shooting it dirty for a while and see if it works in your favor.
That's my plan. A buddy has the same suppressor and has yet to clean his. Zero issues across multiple rifles. I just couldn't help pulling it apart once to check things out after a little shooting.
Thanks again!

OP
M

mt100gr.

WKR
What make/model is it?

I know this advice may not be helpful now, (or for people on a budget or are just getting into the NFA game) but my experience (18 years of gov/competitive shooting and I own ~40 cans) recommends a dedicated can per firearm so you don't have to worry about rezeroing and POI shift.
I agree and plan to buy a few more as budget allows, now that I have my backyard range finished. Also, once the novelty wears off, I'm sure this one will let me know which rifle it's most appropriate for.

This one is a Banish 30. It'll serve as baseline going forward.

Also FWIW, I've never cleaned one (but I have cleaned older, poorly designed adapters/mounts) or taken any apart.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Your clips should always be aligned, it sounds like you have a cup stack system inside a tube. If you need to orientate the cups so the clips are aligned, you can always use superglue with a Q-tip to stack the cones and align the clips.

OP
M

mt100gr.

WKR
Your clips should always be aligned, it sounds like you have a cup stack system inside a tube. If you need to orientate the cups so the clips are aligned, you can always use superglue with a Q-tip to stack the cones and align the clips.
Alignment is super simple with the notches for indexing. They'll only stack one way. The orientation of that alignment when the stack goes back in the tube is variable, tho, and something I'll pay attention to if I take it apart again.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Alignment is super simple with the notches for indexing. They'll only stack one way. The orientation of that alignment when the stack goes back in the tube is variable, tho, and something I'll pay attention to if I take it apart again.

Copy, sounds like you have a form 4 or some Calvary cups, either way you should be fine, I’ve never noticed a POI shift due to clocking on clips in the tube (assuming clips are aligned).

Ion my form 1 cans that are single clipped, I always put the clips pointing down once mounted on my barrel. So 6 o’clock looking through the barrel. All aligned obviously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

mt100gr.

WKR
Ion my form 1 cans that are single clipped, I always put the clips pointing down once mounted on my barrel. So 6 o’clock looking through the barrel. All aligned obviously

I am going to experiment with this eventually. On this rifle, with the orientation where it ended up, the clips are a touch past 9 o'clock when mounted on the barrel, if looking into the suppressor from the muzzle end. Interestingly, the POI shift is exactly opposite the clips...

I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the clips the first time around but the few rifles I tried, had low POI with the suppressor on. If those rifles now have a POI opposite the clips, I'll feel like I am on to something. Unfortunately the clips likely won't end up in the same orientation on each threaded barrel.

Thank you for chiming in.

I am going to experiment with this eventually. On this rifle, with the orientation where it ended up, the clips are a touch past 9 o'clock when mounted on the barrel, if looking into the suppressor from the muzzle end. Interestingly, the POI shift is exactly opposite the clips...

I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the clips the first time around but the few rifles I tried, had low POI with the suppressor on. If those rifles now have a POI opposite the clips, I'll feel like I am on to something. Unfortunately the clips likely won't end up in the same orientation on each threaded barrel.

Thank you for chiming in.

You should be able to mess with your cone stack and always get em oriented the same way even on different rifles, just take a few times maybe