Suppressor questions …thunder beast ultras

I supposed. But that ticks me off.
I did my research on accuracy. I didn't have any idea they were build crud that falls off.
I have a direct thread ultra 7 in the safe. Never heard of it before.
Now it sounds like I went through all that for a boat anchor
All of TBAC's direct thread cans can be easily converted to CB mount. They essentially have a CB mount semi permanently installed to be direct thread and TBAC can take it out at a reasonable cost if you'd like.

B23

WKR
All my cans are DT and if anything my cans are harder to unscrew after extended use and that's from rimfire to 338 cans.

I supposed. But that ticks me off.
I did my research on accuracy. I didn't have any idea they were build crud that falls off.
I have a direct thread ultra 7 in the safe. Never heard of it before.
Now it sounds like I went through all that for a boat anchor

Don’t fret. You have a killer, well designed can. Just give it a twist after a few shots to make sure it’s snug.

Don’t fret. You have a killer, well designed can. Just give it a twist after a few shots to make sure it’s snug.
That's the point, it comes loose and you have to babysit the damn thing. Most people want something that works everytime and doesn't require a second thought.

BBob

WKR
Isn't that still just spending a bunch money on adapters that can and probably will get discontinued?
I'm not really familiar with what you talking about.
He's had these (Hellfire brake's) around for years now so I'm thinking he's probably not getting rid of them anytime soon. I've used Hellfire's since almost day one of him releasing them. They are very high quality and very easy to use.

A TBAC CB brake is $125. An Area 419 brake adapter is $40. An Area 419 brake with one adapter is $160. The Area 419 suppressor adapter is $100. Depending on how many rifles it might add up to a fair amount of savings going the Area 419 route.

Last edited:

fatbacks

WKR
I run all direct thread after going down the rabbit hole with tapered muzzle devices on my first can. Never again will I own hundreds or thousands of dollars of muzzle devices. 5/8 x 24 threads are a lot cheaper.

Yes, I have had cans come loose at the range on some rifles. Never had one come loose while hunting. Some rifles it stays set forever while others can come loose occasionally. I am not terribly inconvenienced by checking my can at the range while letting barrel cool. If it is a major concern use a minuscule amount of Rocksett - it will allow you to twist your can off still but remains sticky if screw it back on. Worked for me in the past.

I run all direct thread after going down the rabbit hole with tapered muzzle devices on my first can. Never again will I own hundreds or thousands of dollars of muzzle devices. 5/8 x 24 threads are a lot cheaper.

Yes, I have had cans come loose at the range on some rifles. Never had one come loose while hunting. Some rifles it stays set forever while others can come loose occasionally. I am not terribly inconvenienced by checking my can at the range while letting barrel cool. If it is a major concern use a minuscule amount of Rocksett - it will allow you to twist your can off still but remains sticky if screw it back on. Worked for me in the past.
Sweet, thanks

B23

WKR
Just speculating but since some people have trouble with DT coming lose and others don't I'm wondering if it's a thread spec. and how the threads were cut on your barrel issue.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv only be playing the suppressor game for a few years but have more on the way. Iv never had a problem with my direct thread cans. Even shooting at prairie dogs firing 100 rounds in a couple hours. I check the can every once n a while because I’m paranoid but that’s about it. But never shot it loose. I get how the taper works, good thing about the TBAC is they will swap them out if wanted. Not sure how I’m going to like buying adapters, but atleast I can run one can with multiple threads. My current 2 cans are direct thread only. I could live with staying direct thread too.

I’m waiting on a TBAC from them, from a club match prize table. Not a rich man here and really appreciate that TBAC gives some back to shooting organizations. This was not a prs match, local finale match. Means a lot to me, that cert means a lot to me even though it increased my wait. I appreciate what they are doing.

Customer service is also important. You hear of thunder beast doing recores on older products, cleaning them for free yearly if wanted, even testing their cans against others even though the results show the other is quieter. They answer the phone when you call and answer technical questions on the net. From what I’m seeing they are an anomaly in the industry, not unlike some of the other great gear makers that support this site.

Just a couple reasons I’ll probably be a future TBAC fanboy or whatever you want to call it. I can sure as hell tell you I’m not going to reccomend people buy gemtech, even though that’s a can I own that has been working just fine.

fatbacks

WKR
Just speculating but since some people have trouble with DT coming lose and others don't I'm wondering if it's a thread spec. and how the threads were cut on your barrel issue.
For sure...Not speculation, I have sent back muzzle devices for a supressor because they failed the go/nogo gauge for thread specs.

OP
justin davis
Thanks for the all the help. I’m leaning toward the Ultra 9 or Dominus? Probably go Dominus because I can use it on AR but the ultra 9 would be the quietest!

If I was buying today, I'd go dominus. I use my ultra 9 on ARs no problem. Gassy, but no problem. Need to buy a dedicated 5.56 can for the purpose though.

It's just right behind my gen 1 ultra 9, except it's 6.75 inches in cb trim.

He's had these (Hellfire brake's) around for years now so I'm thinking he's probably not getting rid of them anytime soon. I've used Hellfire's since almost day one of him releasing them. They are very high quality and very easy to use.

A TBAC CB brake is $125. An Area 419 brake adapter is $40. An Area 419 brake with one adapter is $160. The Area 419 suppressor adapter is $100. Depending on how many rifles it might add up to a fair amount of savings going the Area 419 route.
Thanks for recommending this.
Finally got to dig into it tonight and I like the looks of it.
I'll have to wait for some funds but I'm considering sending my ultra 7 in to get converted from DT to CB and swap all 3 rifles to the hellfire brakes.

I was surprised there weren't more brands mentioned in this thread. I have several but would like to see more head to head tests between cans. Manufactures continue to bring out new cans so often seems hard to keep up. Couple buddies own thunderbeast and love them. Both won 50% off coupons at shooting matches. I haven't so I own YHM seems to be a lot of can for the money. But definitely get a separate rimfire can. They are like Lays chips you can't stop at one. Good luck

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I was surprised there weren't more brands mentioned in this thread. I have several but would like to see more head to head tests between cans. Manufactures continue to bring out new cans so often seems hard to keep up. Couple buddies own thunderbeast and love them. Both won 50% off coupons at shooting matches. I haven't so I own YHM seems to be a lot of can for the money. But definitely get a separate rimfire can. They are like Lays chips you can't stop at one. Good luck

I have a SOT and have shot lots of brands like I mentioned above I love the Thunder beast and AB cans. But over the last Month I have shot my buddies CGS Hyperion and Hyperion K. They are freaking quiet, so quiet when my uncle shot his cow elk with one I thought it was a miss fire. They are made with 3d printed Titanium. Defiantly on my buy list! Just like potato chips:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: