Suppressor questions

I'm looking at the dead air nomad ti and tbac ultra 9. Right now, I have a 300 rum and an AR 15 that I don't use heavily. But I'm planning on building a 7-300 win mag. My questions are which is best? Does one reduce recoil more than the other? I hear the "tone" of the dead air is better, but is it better enough to justify buying that over the tbac? Sucks that these are such a pain to buy, or I'd just get both. But since I'm stuck for life, I really want to make the right choice here. Hoping there are people with experience with both.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I'd say go for the Nomad
I was looking seriously at that can as well as the ultra 9 Gen2, ultimately I chose the Nomad LT for several reasons:

1. The Nomad is 8.4" but fatter so there's more volume and better suppression than the gen2 U9 ( I spoke with several shooters who've compared them side by side and all agreed the Nomad is quieter)

2. The tbac gen 2 had a slew of QC issues and a pile were recalled, pretty lame for a so called "Gold Standard " suppressor

3. The gen 2 is hard to find, probably cuz so many were recalled.
The Nomad LT is sold by Silencer Shop which has a ton of local vendors so there's no transfer fees, and they make the paperwork easy

Edited: that's the LT not ti

Last edited:

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
34C4F023-F865-4662-8952-4E6D944D8004.jpeg2FAAA7F6-6721-44A7-9CF4-304F8430E0F1.jpeg
TBAC fan here. I have an Ultra 9 which I run on my 28 Nosler and my 308. It’s the CB version so its fairly simple to switch between rifles. It’s definitely hearing safe even on the 28 and is very light weight. I plan on Getting another TBAC very soon

crich

WKR
I'd say go for the Nomad
I was looking seriously at that can as well as the ultra 9 Gen2, ultimately I chose the Nomad LT for several reasons:

1. The Nomad is 8.4" but fatter so there's more volume and better suppression than the gen2 U9 ( I spoke with several shooters who've compared them side by side and all agreed the Nomad is quieter)

2. The tbac gen 2 had a slew of QC issues and a pile were recalled, pretty lame for a so called "Gold Standard " suppressor

3. The gen 2 is hard to find, probably cuz so many were recalled.
The Nomad LT is sold by Silencer Shop which has a ton of local vendors so there's no transfer fees, and they make the paperwork easy

Edited: that's the LT not ti
If Im not mistaken its a welding issue that has affected .5% of the suppressors in the S/N range that they suspected may have the issue. I'd hardly call that a slew of QC issues. Their turnaround is around 2 weeks for checking customers cans and mailing them back out. Shit happens and their awesome customer service definitely makes up for this QC problem. But, I do understand that when someone buys one of the most expensive cans on the market they expect to have no issues with it. I fall into this category myself.
View attachment 320266View attachment 320267
TBAC fan here. I have an Ultra 9 which I run on my 28 Nosler and my 308. It’s the CB version so its fairly simple to switch between rifles. It’s definitely hearing safe even on the 28 and is very light weight. I plan on Getting another TBAC very soon
More details on this rifle please 😍
Hows the recoil on the 28nos suppressed? I have a 24inch 7mag and Im thinking about swapping to a 22inch 28nos for my Dominus CB.

TJE0705

Lil-Rokslider
Hows the recoil on the 28nos suppressed? I have a 24inch 7mag and Im thinking about swapping to a 22inch 28nos for my Dominus CB.
Recoil really isn’t that bad. Even for such a light gun. I can’t recommend TBAC suppressors enough.

It was built here in NC by Swift Creek Rifles

-Lone peak titanium action
-26” proof 1:8
-McMillan Game warden
-Wyatt’s extended internal box
-tbac CBbrake
-tbac ultra 9 30
-leupold MK5 5-25

shooting 195 Berger’s right at 3000fps

it’s a shooter if I do my part

EAD5E4B4-EA89-44AD-B1A8-23A8587D87F6.jpeg

If Im not mistaken its a welding issue that has affected .5% of the suppressors in the S/N range that they suspected may have the issue. I'd hardly call that a slew of QC issues. Their turnaround is around 2 weeks for checking customers cans and mailing them back out. Shit happens and their awesome customer service definitely makes up for this QC problem. But, I do understand that when someone buys one of the most expensive cans on the market they expect to have no issues with it. I fall into this category myself.

There's no way it was only .5% of the suppressors that were defective.
I called a multitude of shops looking for the Gen2 and all of them had to either send there's back, or their stock was unavailable due to the recall.
I'm guessing they had to pump the brakes on a bunch that weren't sold yet to fix the weld issues.
Not bashing on TBAC they obviously make an exceptional product, however that situation caused me to go with the Nomad LT

There's not a wrong choice here. I'll add that I really like the CB brake on my (Gen 1) ultra. Never had any issue at all with on-off-on repeatability. I don't even worry about it. Dead air may have a system that is just as good, i just haven't read up on it.

I think crich and 762gunner are both correct. While very many TB cans were recalled, it was for inspection, to identify a small number that actually had a welding problem.

To me, the recall is a non issue because they stood by their product and ponied up the cost to make things right, with zero cost and as little inconvenience to the customer as possible. Besides, nothing is perfect, no matter the price, especially with early productions of new models in any industry.

archp625

WKR
I called a multitude of shops looking for the Gen2 and all of them had to either send there's back, or their stock was unavailable due to the recall.
I'm guessing they had to pump the brakes on a bunch that weren't sold yet to fix the weld issues.
Not bashing on TBAC they obviously make an exceptional product, however that situation caused me to go with the Nomad LT
I recently purchases a suppressor and the Ultra 7 was on my list. I contacted a place that sold them and they told me its a great suppressor but that it would be a almost 2 year wait to get one. They said because of QC issues they pumped their brakes on getting new ones out. I went with another one.

archp625

WKR
First place I googled, several models in stock right now.

My local dealer has many. They're out there, just got to look.
Looks to be about the only place around. I'm not here to debate. For me personally I don't really care. I am so new to the suppressor world and already ordered my one for the year.

archp625

WKR
I’m not debating either man. I see that statement regularly about TBAC being unobtanium, but I can usually find several ready to buy in minutes 🤷‍♂️

Go with whatever you want, but availability is a non-issue.

Mile high has several

Handon bros has 5

They have 9

Im sure there’s more, but that’s 5 minutes on the Google machine.
I am not knocking them at all. Heck to be honest, my next one will probably be a Ultra 5.

z987k

WKR
I have found with suppressors tone not only changes can to can but rifle to rifle to rifle and even round to round.. personally I wouldn't waste my time on anything you have to purchase with a Form4 and go the Form1 route. Do your research and build it for a fraction the cost with either same or better performance..if you don't like the way your build turns out you can send yours off and have it re-cord for a small fee. Form1's only take around 30days to get back vs a Form 4 that your waiting a year for. The suppressor I built for my 7mag cost a total of around $600 and only weights 14oz.
I have looked into this a bit, but haven't run into anything where I don't need a lathe. Care to point me in the right direction?

Check out form1.org
Read read and read some more.. there are some companies that you can buy jigs from to drill your holes.
What companies have you looked into?

z987k

WKR
Check out form1.org
Read read and read some more.. there are some companies that you can buy jigs from to drill your holes.
What companies have you looked into?
I've just done some googling and a lot of what was popping up screamed get your door kicked in and dog shot.
Or was a very incomplete kit that would require a lathe at the least. I remember one site just being bar/tube stock and instructions lmao.

I've just done some googling and a lot of what was popping up screamed get your door kicked in and dog shot.
Or was a very incomplete kit that would require a lathe at the least. I remember one site just being bar/tube stock and instructions lmao.
Yeah stay off those sites.. look at quitebore. They have full kits. Jk armament has kits.. I ordered everything separately. Tube's from one site. Cups from another. But I do have access to a lathe and mill

z987k

WKR
Yeah stay off those sites.. look at quitebore. They have full kits. Jk armament has kits.. I ordered everything separately. Tube's from one site. Cups from another. But I do have access to a lathe and mill
The Jk kits are interesting. I guess you can shorten and lengthen it at will to suit your needs? It looks like every piece threads together to acheive that. I'd be a little worried about parts becoming unsnug and off bore with heating and cooling cycles.

crich

WKR
FWIW I happened to call tbac this morning about something unrelated and asked how many cans were actually bad. I was off a little and the guy on the phone said that out of everything they recalled "only a couple percent are actually bad"

Yeah either way with these top companies I dont think a bad decision can be made either way.

The Jk kits are interesting. I guess you can shorten and lengthen it at will to suit your needs? It looks like every piece threads together to acheive that. I'd be a little worried about parts becoming unsnug and off bore with heating and cooling cycles.
Its called a module system. They typically don't come undone very easily but most people loctite them. I can tell you that your not going to get the best suppression from the Jk kits. The cups are just plane Jane. Look up Dino precision to other cup designes

I’m not debating either man. I see that statement regularly about TBAC being unobtanium, but I can usually find several ready to buy in minutes 🤷‍♂️

Go with whatever you want, but availability is a non-issue.

Mile high has several

Handon bros has 5

They have 9

Im sure there’s more, but that’s 5 minutes on the Google machine.
That's now
I'm talking 5 months ago
All the Gen 2s were pretty much unobtainable while they pulled them back for inspection/repair.
No one knew when the situation would be resolved so dealers wouldn't even wade into the speculation game

Gorp2007

WKR
I’m also talking 5 months ago. And a year ago. And a year and a half ago……

Sign up for notifications and pick up the phone and call an actual person. Small shops have inventory but may not have a website.

Again, buy whatever you want for whatever reason you want. But TBACs have been pretty easy to find.

Took me all of two phone calls to find one in March and put it in jail. It wasn’t difficult, just required a little more effort than a Google search.