Suppressor & reloading

lintond

WKR
I just picked up my first suppressor after it got an early release from jail.

Question for the group...for those with experience have you seen a suppressor change the preferred load spec for your rifle? Charge wt, seating depth etc. I know it can have a POI shift but wasn’t sure about the overall load. Just got a load developed for my main rifle and would love to focus on shooting instead of reworking a load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83cj-7

WKR
I have never seen a suppressor change a load that was worked up for a rifle as long as the rifle is identical. I have had a rifle threaded and crowned and had it shoot different.

B23

WKR
It's just about guaranteed to have POI change and whether or not it plays well with your current load only time will tell. Any of mine pretty much shoot the same with can on or off but POI change definitely.

fatbacks

WKR
Like others have said I’ve just had slight poi shifts.

For others with experience, if you have a hot load you’re using, can a suppressor increase pressure even more on a bolt gun?

For others with experience, if you have a hot load you’re using, can a suppressor increase pressure even more on a bolt gun?

In my limited experience suppressors have always increased pressure a little.

In my limited experience suppressors have always increased pressure a little.
My extensive experience is the same. All of my suppressors increase velocity by 20-30 FPS across the board. That increase in velocity is a result of increased pressure, but not enough to be dangerous or out of tune.

B23

WKR

If you were shooting a load that was on the ragged edge and maybe the gun had been shot a few times and had some heat in it and/or it was a warm day I could see it pushing things past the edge and show pressure signs. I don't really ever shoot stuff that on the edge or use powders that are ultra sensitive so I've never had an issues but if all the negative stars aligned I could certainly see it being a possibility.

I shoot alot of high pressure loads and the silencer typically adds 20 FPS but has never added pressure noticeably. The thing I see is the bolt ends up being somewhat hard to close on a cartridge at times due to debris on the bolt face from stuff falling out of the silencer when it’s standing upright unloaded.

Fubarredz

FNG
Any time you add suppressor you increase more back pressure which means you increase speed which means you poi will change. I increased 35fps on my 6.5-284 but simply adding my suppressor.

charliehorse27

Lil-Rokslider
A friend of mine had about 2 MOA POI shift when he added his suppressor on to his 270 rifle. It was pretty heavy though, 16 ounces. I imagine that has some effect on the barrel harmonics, too.