Suppressor wait times

Sled

WKR
With the silencer shop 1-4 month wait on e-file forms it really makes the wait longer. 90-120+ days after the efile plus the silencer shop penalty box. My next suppressor will be direct through my SOT.

With the silencer shop 1-4 month wait on e-file forms it really makes the wait longer. 90-120+ days after the efile plus the silencer shop penalty box. My next suppressor will be direct through my SOT.
Yep me too. It took SilencerShop 2 months to do my stuff after I purchased and did my part

I'm not getting how it takes silencershop that long to do it for some of you guys. I did two cans back in May. My dealer uses SS to process everything. From the date I started the process to certifying was 2 days for both cans. I gotta wonder what the hold up is.

ElPollo

WKR
I'm not getting how it takes silencershop that long to do it for some of you guys. I did two cans back in May. My dealer uses SS to process everything. From the date I started the process to certifying was 2 days for both cans. I gotta wonder what the hold up is.
I was in the same boat. I finished submitting my info to SS on a Friday and got the confirmation from BATF eForm on the next day. It was during the Feb-March period when I’m hearing the BATF changed up the process a bit, but I can’t fault SS for that. Bottom line is that this eForm thing is new and there are likely to be some glitches in the early implementation on both sides. I didn’t think that’s a reason for people to stop using SS or any other provider. Admittedly, I would be annoyed with the pre-eForms paper submission timeline. But given that, I can’t be too pissy about the current wait times. I do hope BATF pays attention to the feedback they are getting and makes the process and timeline more transparent.

wesfromky

WKR
I am not sure, but I believe the gap between when you buy the silcencer/complete your ss paperwork and then waiting on the certify part is they are doing a transfer to your dealer, and the silencer needs to be in the dealers possession before you can certify. If you are buying something that the dealer already has in stock, then you wouldn't need to wait. It took nearly three weeks for me to get from trust submitted to certify for one, but the other was like a week.

I am not saying this is the case every time, but every one that I have dug into has been a problem on the Dealer side, not SS, in regards to delays.
SS did have issues with their software that was changing things, specifically citizenship, after the fact that caused some denials, but the delays to certify have almost always been due to the dealer not being able to figure out how to navigate and submit information to SS.

Edit to add: Also what wesfromky said. If the dealer doesn't have the can in stock, then they have to complete a Form3 and have it transferred. That can take up to a month. You cannot file the Form 4 until the dealer is in possession of the suppressor and has verified the serial number.

505Wapiti

WKR
Just found out today I was approved a couple of weeks ago. Now I’m in the 45 day window of the feds sending them my tax stamp so I can physically receive it. I am right at the 17 month mark and have to admit I’m less than pleased with the time it has taken, but really looking forward to having it.

CoStick

WKR
I did an e-form a couple weeks ago and had the certification email from the ATF in an hour or two if that. Now the wait begins. I didn’t use the SS.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
this thread has not helped the anticpation. called my FFL and asked. got the usual response and it is in stock so the delay seems to be SS. from 2/21 and counting

Sled

WKR
I am not sure, but I believe the gap between when you buy the silcencer/complete your ss paperwork and then waiting on the certify part is they are doing a transfer to your dealer, and the silencer needs to be in the dealers possession before you can certify. If you are buying something that the dealer already has in stock, then you wouldn't need to wait. It took nearly three weeks for me to get from trust submitted to certify for one, but the other was like a week.

That's true to some extent. I've done several form 3's and a weeks time is about all it takes when the item is in stock. Even with extenuating circumstances the odds of one person having 3 SS delays in the last 8 months tell me enough. After emailing them I was ready to certify the day after their response.

Fwiw, I also got an email from silencer shop with a lot of exclamation points telling me they received my tax stamp and I can pickup my suppressor. That sounds great but it's for the nomad lt that I picked up from my SOT in April. Glad I'm not waiting on them for notification. They're about as up to date as the skinny jeans some of you millennials are still wearing.

Last edited:

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I have 3. First two were old paper system and took about 11 months each. Last one was new system and took 4 months.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro