Suppressor with good recoil reduction

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve got two rifles that I use to hunt - a 6.5CM Browning Hells Canyon Speed (factory radial brand) for my kids and a Tikka 7mmRM with an aftermarket side vented brake from Alamo Precision. I’d like to get a suppressor that I can use on both rifles in place of the brakes. I’m pretty sure the threading is different, so I would need QD on both rifles, correct? Because I want to kids to be able to shoot the rifles, I need recoil deduction similar to what I get from a brake... is this even a thing? My preliminary research indicates that brakes, on average, reduce recoil by about 1/2 of what most brakes provide. Are there any good brakes that are hunting friendly (not 9” and 15oz) and provide similar recoil reduction to a brake?

EM_556

WKR
I have found excellent results with Dead Air products. They make a flash hider and muzzle brake that work with their suppressors. The suppressors are a simple ratchet quick detach. Look at the Nomad-30 can. They also now make a Titanium version which is perfect for a hunting application.

I was shocked with the suppression even on a 300WM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a SICo Omega in jail. I should get it later this year and would be more than happy to let you feel for yourself, seeing as I'm in Dallas.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I have a SICo Omega in jail. I should get it later this year and would be more than happy to let you feel for yourself, seeing as I'm in Dallas.

Might take you up on that. I’m totally unfamiliar with suppressors and I want to get it right the first time.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I have an older YHM titanium that does ok but I'm thinking about a SiCo Harvester for the interchangeable thread options and integrated brake. I've heard good things about them.

Dayv_33

FNG
Having used the SciCo Hybrid both with and without the optional brake end cap I am not sure I can feel a difference. I am not sure how effective or necessary a brake on top of a suppressor is since a lot of the gas should have already expanded in the can but it’s cool that these companies are making so many options so you can feel like you can have the best of both worlds at the same time!

Catch-34

FNG
Check out SilencerShop.com , they have a lot of options and make all the paperwork a lot less daunting. Your rifles are most likely threaded 5/8x24 so you can either go direct thread or brake attach route. Cal over at precisionrifleblog did a huge brake test a few years back and also had a suppressor in it as well. A suppressor won’t tame the recoil as much as a brake but the recoil impulse is longer with a suppressor than a brake.

My understanding is that in general, more volume = more recoil reduction.

I would probably just get a 5/8x24 direct thread model and put the applicable thread adapters on your rifle. That is cheapest/easiest IMO.

I am in the process of working up a load for my 300 win mag so I haven’t shot a full house load yet but with 200 grainers so far I have been impressed with my ultra nine, hardly any recoil compared to without it. One thing to remember is a fair amount of perceived recoil is the muzzle noise especially for kids.

I forgot to mention, you will not find a can that will reduce recoil nearly as much as a good brake, especially if trying to stay small/light. The browning hells canyon radial brake isn’t a particularly efficient design so you might come close to that one but definitely not like a good side port brake.

Sponxx

FNG
I have an older YHM titanium that does ok but I'm thinking about a SiCo Harvester for the interchangeable thread options and integrated brake. I've heard good things about them.

I hace a SiCo Harvester 300, have shot it on a 243 and is wonderful, quieter than a 22LR and just a little harder.
I'm waiting on a threaded 7mm RemMag barrel from XCaliber to try it on the bigger gun, but expect similar results, based on what I have read. Only downside is size (9" can be long with the integrated brake upfront) and it can get hot at the range. Ideal for hunting due to weight, though 7" would've been ideal.

Ohearchai

FNG
Unfortunately a suppressor doesnt come close to a good brake for recoil reduction. Area 419 developed the Maverick suppressor from what my friends have said they are impressed with the design in both sound suppression and recoil reduction, obviously not cheap but really the only option out there. I will say I do have a harvester honestly cant remember the last time I used it, but I bought ot figuring the design would help.

chefcreed

FNG
The Area 419 Hellfire Brake is great and you can buy suppressor adapters that will fit several brands. I just got a Rugged Radiant and it comes with a brake that acts as a mount. Can’t really tell the recoil difference with just the brake -no suppressor-but it’s obviously a lot louder. They make mounts with different threads so you can use one can for different rifles. Only problem is buying multiple mounts. The can makes all the difference in comfort. I think recoil blast is as much a problem as recoil. I bet your kids will shoot a suppressed 6.5 Creedmoor with no issues.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I was shooting my 300 PRC today with a Omega 300 with brake and was very happy with the reduction in recoil. The Omega 300 comes with a brake you can remove if you want. A couple other people were there and said the same about the recoil. What ever Suppressor you get make sure of what guns it is rated for.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ll also second if you have never shot suppressed, for me personally the lack of blast and noise makes it much easier for me to make a good shot in my head.

Cody_W

WKR
I also run the area 419 adapter with my TBAC ultra and the sidewinder brake. On my 12lb 300 rum pushing 245s 3100FPS recoil is remarkably light.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
For you guys talking about the 419 adapter - is this a brake in addition to a suppressor? I'm a little confused as to what you are talking about.

For you guys talking about the 419 adapter - is this a brake in addition to a suppressor? I'm a little confused as to what you are talking about.

They make the maverick which is basically a suppressor / brake hybrid but to me it doesn't seem like it would function well as either.

They also make an adapter that goes on your threaded muzzle, to which you can attach a 419 brake or a suppressor. For example I have a TBAC ultra 7 with CB (compact brake) mount rather than direct thread. Rather than buy a TBAC CB brake for each rifle as an adapter, I can use the Area 419 adapters which are cheaper and attach a hellfire brake which is more effective as a brake than TBAC's CB or the suppressor.

chefcreed

FNG
What Wind Gypsy said. It’s a great system. I would’ve kept it but got a crazy deal on Radiant. Probably will end up costing me more with mounts. The Rugged Brakes snd Flashhiders have external threads the suppressor attaches to.