Suppressors, school me.

go_deep

WKR
Couple questions about suppressors.
Primaries looking for noise control and some recoil reduction for my kids.
Whats the average cost to buy a suppressor and have it installed that's is of high enough quality to bring the db level down to not make your ears ring.
Does the cost change based on caliber, say a .270 verse a .300?

B23

WKR
There's a certain amount of variables that affect how much reduction in noise a suppressor offers. Quality of the suppressor is always a factor but the cartridge and length of the barrel can have a significant affect as well. Shorter the barrel on the host gun the louder it will be. I have a 18in 22-250 I run suppressed and it is right there at not quite quiet enough to shoot more than once or twice before I stick something in my ears.

A good 30 caliber suppressor like a TBAC Gen2 Ultra 7 or 9 as well as the Banish 30 are all really good first suppressors to get because they not only do an excellent job of noise reduction but they also cover, very efficiently, a wide range of calibers and cartridges.

If it's the same model suppressor like say a Ultra7 6.5 or Ultra7 30 cal the cost is the same regardless of what size caliber hole it has but if it's a different model like say a direct thread versus CB mount or Ultra7 versus Ultra9 then the cost will vary.

Phineas

FNG
I have a suppressor for my .223. I’d say it brought the sound down to the level of a 22 mag. Most rifle suppressors will knock 30decibells off, but that brings it from 160db to 130db. That’s a huge reduction in the amount of noise, but 130 is still loud enough to damage your hearing with repeated exposure. A smoke alarm is about 90db.
What matters most with suppressors as far as caliber goes is the pressure limits on what they’re made of and bore diameter. Most .22 cans are made of aluminum and if you put one on a .223 the “uncorking pressure” behind the bullet would destroy it on the first shot. Likewise if you tried to shoot 9mm through your 22 can it’d blow up because the bullet is bigger than the hole in the middle of the can. A steel/titanium rifle suppressor with a 30 caliber bore will likely work with anything 30 caliber or less. Manufacturers will tell you in the specs for the suppressor what it’s rated for. Barrel length and full auto fire are also factors.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Average cost for the caliber suppressor you are asking about is $700-1000. Plus $200 tax stamp. Some will pay a few extra hundred to have a gun trust made. For future purchases and transferring between family it makes it a bit easier.

This assumes you have a threaded barrel host. You’d pay a few hundred more to get one threaded if not (also needs to be thick enough to thread based on what size suppressor)

For the most part caliber for rifles won’t matter. There are some specific to .223 and some to 6.5. Most are to .30 cal. (Exception is .22 cal cans are about half as expensive but limited to 22WMR and lower typically).

I’d recommend just getting a 30 cal and can use on most with a threaded barrel.

A few buddies have TBAC and like theirs. I own an Omega and think it sounds just as quiet (vs ultra 7).

I think all on the market today in the above price range will accomplish what you are after though. Should shave about 30db off most rifles and make hearing safe-ish and more enjoyable to shoot. Have no illusions to them making a supersonic round anything near quiet though.

Medic103

FNG
I’m a huge suppressor guy.. own several. I agree with what the above guys posted. Only thing I can add is don’t cheap out on the threading. Find someone who does class 3a threads, if possible. The precision and very low tolerances keep the can concentric and tight. Also, consider weight of the can. Prepare to be addicted!

HOLLYW00D

FNG
There's a site that does objective sound reviews of various cans. They haven't tested/reviewed everything under the sun (yet?), but a few of the popular cans have been reviewed and ranked:

Tahoe1305

WKR

Two other data sources I found useful.

Recommend comparing these to manufacturer listed values. All info combined will hopefully get you one you are happy with.

I’ll bump this thread up since it seems to be the most current Suppressor thread.

Are most of you going with the direct thread route or using some type of muzzle device?

I’ll bump this thread up since it seems to be the most current Suppressor thread.

Are most of you going with the direct thread route or using some type of muzzle device?

purpose is going to drive that decision. QD muzzle devices can have the advantage of offering a sacrificial baffle that reduces blast damage to your can. Depending on the design (taper, keymo), it also eliminates thread walking, and is almost certainly wildly faster to mount.