Supressor Question (Silencerco Omega direct thread vs thread adapter)?

rob86jeep

WKR
I have a .30 SilencerCo Omega suppressor that I use on a couple different rifles. I recently got a Tikka T3x Superlite in 6.5 cm and want to get the barrel threaded to use my suppressor. The issue is the really thin barrel of the Superlite. So, assuming I can only thread the barrel with 1/2-28, would it be better to get a thread adapter (step up) from 1/2 to the suppressor threads of 5/8 (probably around $30), or, buy the different direct thread end piece for the Omega which will thread directly onto the 1/2-28 threads (about $100)?

Money isn't really the issue. I'm more concerned with...

1 - having to swap the end pieces on my Omega for different rifles (requires the tool that comes with the omega).
2 - security/reliability of the suppressor on the gun.

ahlgringo

WKR
I have the same can, and a superllite in 06'. I ended up threading 9/16x24. I then put on the Silencerco muzzle break and use the ASR mount. Works great, though POI was changed from pre-threading, it is now consistent.

You will hear different opinions- but I was uncomfortable with he 1/2x28 direct thread option- just too little purchase for me.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
I have the same can, and a superllite in 06'. I ended up threading 9/16x24. I then put on the Silencerco muzzle break and use the ASR mount. Works great, though POI was changed from pre-threading, it is now consistent.

You will hear different opinions- but I was uncomfortable with he 1/2x28 direct thread option- just too little purchase for me.
What do you mean "too little purchase"?

I have a few rifles threaded. My AR (triangular flash hider) and my heavy .308 (muzzle break) have the QD (I think ASR) mount and my hunting .308 has direct thread. I'm not opposed to either, just trying to figure out what's best for my Tikka Superlite barrel contour.

colonel00

WKR
I believe that ahlgringo was talking about how thin it might make the barrel with a 1/2" thread sizing. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't want to speak for you. Now, since you have a 30 caliber can, why not go with 5/8" x 24. Granted, I don't know if the barrel will even support this.

I'm in the same boat as I'll be making a purchase soon and while my can is in jail I'll have to figure out what exactly I want to do. My Tikka Superlite is a .300WM. At this point, I'm thinking that I'll have the barrel shortened a bit and threaded. It will all depend on what I can get done before the fluting on the barrel starts. Yeah, I might lose some velocity but with the can hanging on the end (I'm looking at a Rugged Radiant) a shorter barrel will be ok. But, it's all about what you want the rifle to do. I don't plan to need to shoot at super long ranges so I think that if I can reliably shoot at known ranges (up to say 500yds which is probably farther than I'll ever shoot) with or without the can, I am fine.

ahlgringo

WKR
no- not the barrel thinning ( 1/2x28 would leave more barrel than 5/8x24). Tikka barrels in the T3 and T3x line are thin (around 16mm OD depending on caliber), if you try and thread it for standard 5/8x24 you won't have much barrel left = not safe (i think you have that figured out).

But if you try and thread 1/2x28, you don't have much shoulder for direct thread- maybe not quite as important on your 6.5- but I would NOT thread a 300 cal with 1/2x28- (but lots of guys do).

Using 9/16x24 and the silencerco muzzle break- to me left the most barrel and alleviates the shoulder issue.

Last edited:

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
I threaded my 6.5CM T3x to 1/2x28 and have no issues with the direct thread adapter. One thing you could do that the guy who threaded my barrel mentioned is thread it to 1/2x28 and get the accompanying muzzle break and have your smith drill it out so it’s big enough for your 6.5 bullets. I didn’t want the extra weight of the quick connect system so I went direct thread. Of course now my gun weighs over 10 lbs without the can so that idea went out the window.

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
So if I thread it for 1/2x28 (which I'm thinking is best as well), is it better to use a thread adapter so my 5/8 can will fit, or, get the 1/2 direct thread end piece for my Omega? Hope that makes sense.

Thread adapter - https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...hread-adapter-1-2-28-to-5-8-24-prod54364.aspx

1/2 Direct Thread Mount - https://silencerco.com/bravo-direct-thread-mount.html
You can check my post history, I made a similar inquiry and while there are guys who haven’t had issues with the thread adapter there were enough guys warning me that it was an unnecessary risk and to just get the 1/2 direct thread mount.

edit, here it is

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
You can check my post history, I made a similar inquiry and while there are guys who haven’t had issues with the thread adapter there were enough guys warning me that it was an unnecessary risk and to just get the 1/2 direct thread mount.

edit, here it is

Thanks for linking your old thread. That's the exact kind of advice/info I was looking for. I'll go with a 1/2 thread on my barrel and get the direct thread mount for my Omega to fit the threads.