Surf fishing

Fordguy

WKR
Oh, I've caught several rays in the gulf, they just haven't been my target species. The largest that I hooked broke 50 lb mono and I couldn't even turn him. My drag wasn't strong enough so I ended up wrapping the line around my sandal. It cut halfway through my sandal before it broke. The big one was incredibly strong, but it didn't make any screaming runs. It just continued down the beach at a moderate pace. It acted like it was barely aware that it was hooked.
I wonder if they taste like shark? Blacktip and bonnet head sharks are both excellent table fare.

OP
Button

Button

WKR
Some rays will act casually hooked mostly smaller ones. Ime car hood size rays make an initial long strong run and take longer to settle down sticking to the bottom.

I’ve ate a few shark. If they die on my I’ll cut tail to bleed out, gut, chop head, and stuff cavity with ice.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Havent caught any rays lately but the sharks have been THICK.
I'm betting on some brand of shark.
Whatever it was, it was Impressive!!!
Downright Explosive.

OP
Button

Button

WKR
Havent caught any rays lately but the sharks have been THICK.
I'm betting on some brand of shark.
Whatever it was, it was Impressive!!!
Downright Explosive.
What area on the coast are you on?

jfs82

WKR
Didn't draw any decent tags in CA this year so been spending a lot of time collecting surf perch along the CA coast. Like to have something I caught or killed in the freezer...having friends over tonight to share fish tacos in fact. I like the accessibility of the coast relative to the mountains from where I live, and the fact I don't have to train all year to go surf fishing :).
Same, I'm on the central coast of CA. Surf perch, stripers, occasional halibut, rock fish. Jigging or hi lows for rock fish. Carolina rigs with sand crabs or plastics for perch until I get bored then switch to spoons or lucky crafts to get a little more involved.

OP
Button

Button

WKR
Mobile bay is huge. We passed by and stayed in the area on our summer vacation. Very different than Texas coast.

Usually go to the coast once a year and have been wanting to try it out. What is the best time of year to go? Don't really care what we catch, it will mainly be for the kids. Would love to catch a shark. Texas coast, usually Port Aransas.
Thanks

robtattoo

WKR
I'm still trying to get my head around US surf fishing.
I grew up on the north east coast of England with long, flat, featureless beaches.
I still can't get my head around catching big fish, 20yds from dry sand! I'm so used to blasting a 4oz breakaway, with pulley-rigged squid 150+ yds.
I've only had one decent slot red from the beach & I fought it in a gulley, literally 8 feet in front of me.....
You'll see in the pics, I'm still very attached to my 12 & 14' casting rods!

20190803_203053.jpg20190803_203801.jpg

OP
Button

Button

WKR
Usually go to the coast once a year and have been wanting to try it out. What is the best time of year to go? Don't really care what we catch, it will mainly be for the kids. Would love to catch a shark. Texas coast, usually Port Aransas.
Thanks
Fishing is good year-round. However you have to hit the weather windows in winter to make the most of it. Summer and fall are the best. For sharks summer time is prime. Throw a live whiting, or hunk of ladyfish past the 1st bar at sundown you’ll more than likely hookup with a 5’ shark.

Right now the bull reds are running, throw out 1/2 a horse mullet with a 14/0 circle hook and you’ll be catching 40”+ reds.

Thanks for the tips. Probably try and go sometime in the spring. Hunting season right now, and the beaches are too busy in the summer.

robtattoo

WKR
I'm far from any kind of expert, but the big, bull reds seem to run around the Louisiana & Texas beaches from mid September through November. I had to go a mile offshore to catch a 42" this year, but I have friends in Grand Isle, Cocodrie & Bolivar (I think) TX & they've been catching them regularly the last month, right of the beach.

OP
Button

Button

WKR
Thanks for the tips. Probably try and go sometime in the spring. Hunting season right now, and the beaches are too busy in the summer.
Honestly spring is my favorite time. No crowds, no bugs, and sandbar sharks over 7’.
I’m a surf fisherman at heart but I like hunting too.

OP
Button

Button

WKR
Awesome. Might be a dumb question, and I will definitely do more research before I go. How do you get the hook out of something that big?
Depends on how well it’s hooked and where. Many times I can use vise grips or channel locks. Other times I use bolt cutters to cut and remove the hook.