Surgery recovery (shoulder)

ncstewart

WKR
So had draw arm shoulder cut on today. Collarbone joint, cuff, labrum and couple other things repaired.
For guy that have had this done is it realistic to apply for archery tags next year or should I focus on gun tags and put archery on hold for one fall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
I had a torn rotator cuff, torn labrum (could not repair) and a bone impingement in draw arm. Had surgery in March and was back archery hunting the next August.

JG358

WKR
What did the doc that did the work say? I'd bet he/she has better insight than anyone thats gonna have any input here. Similar injuries/surgeries dont always have similar results.

rino

FNG
They make a device you can attach to your bow that makes it cockable like a cross bow. You could check with your state to see if they issue medical allowances for those devices (based on doctor note obviously).

You should have plenty of time. I got strength back quickly but after 5 years still do not have full range of motion, I would say about 90%. Take your PT seriously and see them for as long as you can

LostArra

WKR
As mentioned every injury/surgery is different but in my case after dedicated PT I was drawing my bow and rifle recoil was more painful. Can you borrow a crossbow for a season if healing took longer?

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
The VA did it and was great but they won’t say much on timeline. Just we will take it 2 weeks at a time until I’m back %100. They said could be 6 or 12 months. They just want to focus on rehab with no timeline. Just trying to get idea cause don’t want to waste an archery elk tag. Kinda thinking doing WY cause I can use crossbow in a pinch I guess

jhubbz

Lil-Rokslider
I had a form labrum repaired back in May 2018. It took me a year to get back to drawing a bow back. I dropped the poundage on my bow and was very deliberate with the PT. It's doable, but I'd keep my options open in case it takes longer than you hope to recover. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
I had a form labrum repaired back in May 2018. It took me a year to get back to drawing a bow back. I dropped the poundage on my bow and was very deliberate with the PT. It's doable, but I'd keep my options open in case it takes longer than you hope to recover. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks

DavePwns

WKR
Everyone heals differently, listen to your PT, tell him/her your goal. Just remember, think long term success not immediate gratification

LightFoot

WKR
I had labrum and rotator cuff surgery and was shooting a bow in 6 months. I went down to 60 lbs though.

>>>----JAKE----->

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
Thanks guys. I think if I strike out on WY archery I’ll plan the rest of my strategy around gun to be safe.

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
I had my torn labrum repaired in October and was shooting a bow without dropping poundage by August. I hunted that fall.

I’d add that it’s critical to follow your physical therapist’s program to the letter.

Good luck.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Like has been said, listen to your PT. Had my right shoulder done on 5/10 a few years ago and was bow hunting elk in Colorado 9/1 that year.
Had pretty much what you had done plus a perforated bicep tendon repair.
It can be done.