Surplus Binocular Harness

AGPank

WKR
I've been in the market for a bino harness. I'm testing a used Kuiu. I like it, but I'm not real crazy about the single straps for the harness to the binoculars.

I will likely try a Marsupial Gear next, but in the mean time I decided to experiment with some stuff I had at the house.

I had an original S4 gear harness. I never liked the lower elastic strap, it never felt secure to me. The bino pouch part never really offered security for the binos or easy in/out access. I removed the lower strap and added a nylon web strap. I removed the pouch and used a military surplus canteen pouch. These appear to be 500D cordura. I sewed 1" loops at the four corners and added split bar female buckles.

The top of the harness had loop locks. I simply used an existing strap with metal triglide on one end and male buckle on the other. This provides necessary adjustment.

It's simple and functional. I will need to add a little elastic to the bottom straps to increase comfort. The nylon webbing holds betters, but it feels like just a little more flexibility.

bc2c83d35e4013018f78ac838f51e943.jpg
13431952ac51e4320759c3a2b0ea876b.jpg

e2a8a674c664aa293953d9332a86ec45.jpg

d7d8cd58ea4594fb4d8c5d9347616e26.jpg
316de1145c0a44e8ab1f2c76ff9c65cd.jpg

Are you planning on leaving the buckle on the front or installing some type of bungee system for opening/closing quietly?

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
Are you planning on leaving the buckle on the front or installing some type of bungee system for opening/closing quietly?

I haven't thought that far ahead. They buckle removes pretty easy, I don't have a handy hook for bungee. I could put a lever lock there and just run the webbing through it. It wouldn't always need to be tightened in.

I just built my own as well. I've used an fhf gear and an AGC, like both of them but they didn't really fill a niche I was looking for. So I built my own out of an old pals chest rig. The pouch my binos are in sits against a double AR mag shingle. I can carry two mags or my cell and a pistol. I have room on each side to attach another pouch for a rangefinder or calls as well.

Sorry they are upside down.

Attachments

• IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 87

matthewmt

WKR
I haven't thought that far ahead. They buckle removes pretty easy, I don't have a handy hook for bungee. I could put a lever lock there and just run the webbing through it. It wouldn't always need to be tightened in.
You could add a material under the lid to increase stiffness for closure coverage, just a thought. Looks good.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MtnManZ

Lil-Rokslider
I've been in the market for a bino harness. I'm testing a used Kuiu. I like it, but I'm not real crazy about the single straps for the harness to the binoculars.

You might look into the new bino harness from Muley Freak as another option if you liked the Kuiu but didn't like the straps connecting directly to the binoculars.