Surprise From AZ F&G

With all the back and forth with Arizona draw results and figuring I just wouldn't be successful again I forgot to check results. Then this week I check the mail and had a surprise gift from AZ, a 6a Late Rifle tag with myself and 699 of my new closet friends. Anyways it's my first Bull tag and I'm pretty worked up about it, already have a few way points marked canyons to check etc. Anyways wanted to share with people that cared, my wife just asked why it wasn't another cow tag (its her favorite meat next to black bear). Of course any advice and knowledge is welcome but regardless I'm looking forward to it and don't feel too out of my element, I like that it's likely going to be a glassing game. Curious if folks know the real scoop on what to expect for weather and if there's any packers in the area. Anyways thanks for reading and sharing in my excitement.

Cheers,

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
My goodness that is great news and congrats.

I know nothing of 6A except there are lots of elk there and filling your tag should not be especially difficult even though the late rifle hunt is no picnic due to weather.

Good luck,

Eddie

Buck197

WKR
Thats awesome. No knowledge of that unit, however it proves AZ system works, now if my name would pop on that danged 13b finally!

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the tag! 6A is full of roads. Shouldn't need a packer in that unit. Have a fun hunt!

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
FYI
by late rifle, those 6A elk will have been heavily pressured by earlier hunts. Since you asked about a packer, perhaps you are thinking about the Quiet or wilderness areas where motor vehicle travel and motorized game retrieval are prohibited. Those areas are the place to be for late season rifle bulls.
Few years back, 4 of us packed out a friends bull. Even though boned out, It was not a pleasant task from the bottom in one of those deep canyons.

Areas near lots of road access will have 90% of the "699 of my new closest friends" there, due to ez driveable access and motorized retrieval of downed elk being allowed.

OP
Sierra Hunter
FYI
by late rifle, those 6A elk will have been heavily pressured by earlier hunts. Since you asked about a packer, perhaps you are thinking about the Quiet or wilderness areas where motor vehicle travel and motorized game retrieval are prohibited. Those areas are the place to be for late season rifle bulls.
Few years back, 4 of us packed out a friends bull. Even though boned out, It was not a pleasant task from the bottom in one of those deep canyons.

Areas near lots of road access will have 90% of the "699 of my new closest friends" there, due to ez driveable access and motorized retrieval of downed elk being allowed.
Nice reading through the subtext, I’ll pm you on my thoughts as a novice to the unit, if you’re interested.