Survival...

Big Bend of Florida 12 miles to the Boat Ramp
Ok , Lot's of interesting reply's on the Bug out , Stay home thread...
Now , What would be the Best area to ...Live off the Land..?
I'm calling North Florida one of the best , Really anywhere there are Coast lines and Woods for miles.
I've got the Gulf of Mexico within a days walk easy , Tidal flats , Oysters and Scallops , Mullet Runs full of Millions of fish , Deer and wild Hogs all over the woods, Small Game out the Ying Yang. Warm climate , garden all year.
Heat and Bugs are our only downfalls..But over all , We're Good.
What say You..?

FLATHEAD

WKR
Right there with you.
Baldwin co., AL.
Can kill squirrel, rabbit and dove right in my back yard.
Deer in the neighboring woods.
Maybe walk down to the river and see whats up.
Fried up with a side of Kale from the garden all winter.
At least I'm gonna eat.

Azone

WKR
I’m dying at Costco while trying to make it out the door with 2 shopping carts full of ribeyes and Sierra Nevada beer.
All kidding aside I would be trying my best to survive off what ever critters came in range. Birds, hogs, deer, cattle and small game. There’s no big fish runs in my area since farming has pretty much wiped out the salmon runs. But it wouldn’t be impossible to survive in the foothills on the central coast if you could avoid people trying to bushwhack ya.

Rich M

WKR
Ok , Lot's of interesting reply's on the Bug out , Stay home thread...
Now , What would be the Best area to ...Live off the Land..?
I'm calling North Florida one of the best , Really anywhere there are Coast lines and Woods for miles.
I've got the Gulf of Mexico within a days walk easy , Tidal flats , Oysters and Scallops , Mullet Runs full of Millions of fish , Deer and wild Hogs all over the woods, Small Game out the Ying Yang. Warm climate , garden all year.
Heat and Bugs are our only downfalls..But over all , We're Good.
What say You..?

The downside is the number of storms that pass thru there. But it does have everything you need including a frost or two to kill the bugs some so you can garden.

bobr1

WKR
tropic-thunder-survive.gif

EdP

WKR
The idea that a person can survive long by themselves is foolishness. A community is needed so that some hunt, some grow food and gather, some make tools, some build and maintain shelters, some defend the community, etc. Specialization is what is needed because one person cannot be competent at every skill needed to survive and thrive in the long term.

The idea that a person can survive long by themselves is foolishness. A community is needed so that some hunt, some grow food and gather, some make tools, some build and maintain shelters, some defend the community, etc. Specialization is what is needed because one person cannot be competent at every skill needed to survive and thrive in the long term.
Hold my beer

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
I smell a commie.

i think an area near the coast with inshore fishing would be your best bet.

I tend to think that if the shit ever really hit the fan, the woods, lakes and streams would get cleaned out real fast.

It’s a cool mental exercise but I am just saying that the “mad max EOTWAWKI version of Desk Jockey is going to reevaluate some moral positions. I think I will be a lot more looty / rapey / pillagey if the world ever does go to shit.

EdP

WKR
Geez, I've never been called a commie before, and just for pointing out that a single person can't be a master of all the skills needed for long term survival. Thanks to those that recognized the truth in what I said and responded positively.

I know there are a lot of folks that think they can "bug out" and survive a global disaster. An entire market exists to sell stuff to them. In my mind it is small towns distant from the big cities where people will survive. Towns big enough to defend themselves against the starving hordes but small enough to have simple government. If you "bug out" you had better have some special skills if you want to join a survivor community. For anyone interested in how things might play out following a global disaster, I recommend reading Lucifer's Hammer coauthored by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Rich M

WKR
If you're fortunate enough to have a group of people, then you'll do better. A small community to trade within, etc. Seriously, living off the land is gonna be tough.

Trying to do it solo is even tougher - especially with the roaming gangs and groups of pillagers. Folks will watch you fish/oyster/whatever you are doing and then as you head for home - bop you on the head or bust a cap and end your life for what you have. They'll be waiting for you to come to shore or whatever.

I can see short term survival solo or small group but long term survival is a large group thing. Think a village with a wall and moat kind of thing. Then you need all those various services that make a village.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Geez, I've never been called a commie before, and just for pointing out that a single person can't be a master of all the skills needed for long term survival. Thanks to those that recognized the truth in what I said and responded positively.

I know there are a lot of folks that think they can "bug out" and survive a global disaster. An entire market exists to sell stuff to them. In my mind it is small towns distant from the big cities where people will survive. Towns big enough to defend themselves against the starving hordes but small enough to have simple government. If you "bug out" you had better have some special skills if you want to join a survivor community. For anyone interested in how things might play out following a global disaster, I recommend reading Lucifer's Hammer coauthored by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

I thought I was on 24 hour campfire for a second, you know, where a bunch of highly education, clear headed individuals call people Commies for disagreeing with anything they say.