Suunto Watches question

Greyes

WKR
I am thinking about getting a Suunto watch for everyday/hunting.

The Traverse Alpha is the first one I looked at that has the features I like (Altimeter, moonphase, sun rise/set, GPS tracking). I also looked at the Core but it sounds like the sun rise/set info on this watch goes off of the nearest big city, so it most likely won't be accurate for a specific hunting location. Where the Traverse Alpha goes off of your actual GPS location.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these watches? Or have any feedback on what they like/dislike?

Thanks in advance!

cmenard01

FNG
I had one. It was a good watch but they stopped making updates for it. It eventually stopped keeping a charge. I moved to the Garmin Instinct Tactical. Has everything I need for long hunts. Keeps a charge for 7 days if I'm not using gps. Even has an integration for my In reach. They make a solar one now that would be worth looking at.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
Ive had both of the watches you mentioned. I have a Garmin Fenix 6 now and from what I can tell, it's the best of the bunch. Interface is super simple, yet it's feature loaded. It has everything you're looking for. It can also pull weather.

I'd cross the Core off the list and compare the traverse to the fenix

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used the traverse alpha for a couple years and it has been good to me, battery lasts a long time since I don’t use the gps to do anything other than mark camp or other important things for that trip

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
My GF got me a Garmin Fenix 3 about four years ago. I love it. It does it all for me, Without pulling out my phone I can see/feel phone calls and texts. It works real slick with my Garmin Astro GPS dog tracker when I'm chasing upland game with my GWP. I use it tethered to the tractor radio and livestock truck radios to change songs or replay, without reaching over to the head unit. Really though...the simple vibrate on my wrist for texts and phone calls is my favorite thing about it. Doesn't matter how loud or quiet environment I'm in, I don't have to dig out my phone is the call isn't important. Of course it has a compass/barometer/altimeter and lots of other goodies. I wouldn't hesitate on a newer generation. My next one will be Garmin.-WW

JohnB

WKR
I've had a Core for years. Usually you can find them used for 50 bucks or so. Yeah sunset & rise is off the closest big city but do you really need it to the exact minute? I can't say that's a feature that's been helpful for me other than random curiosity. Alti needs calibrating but seems to be pretty accurate. The display gets a bit buggy and slow when the watch is below 40 degrees but still works. I probably go through a battery every year or so.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Traverse Alpha and like it but don’t use all the features like I thought I would. The ‘hunting mode’ that drops a pin when it detects a shot isn’t useful, it detects shots when you have any jolt/impact like jumping over a log. The temperature reading is always incorrect because the sensor is against your wrist. It also doesn’t monitor heart rate. My favorite feature is the altimeter- knowing how high you are and how much further you’re trying to go without pulling out your phone is nice. Battery lasts 9 days or so when in normal use.

I had a Transverse Alpha for a couple of years and really liked it. The watch was great but the Suunto software was disappointing. The Movescount app was hopeless. I finally gave up on it, went over to Garmin and never looked back. I have a Fenix 5+ Sapphire now and couldn't be more happy with it. The only thing I miss about the Transverse Alpha is the red backlight option.

jeddi03

FNG
I am thinking about getting a Suunto watch for everyday/hunting.

The Traverse Alpha is the first one I looked at that has the features I like (Altimeter, moonphase, sun rise/set, GPS tracking). I also looked at the Core but it sounds like the sun rise/set info on this watch goes off of the nearest big city, so it most likely won't be accurate for a specific hunting location. Where the Traverse Alpha goes off of your actual GPS location.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these watches? Or have any feedback on what they like/dislike?

Thanks in advance!
The most functional, and simplistic watch I have is the Garmin Instinct. Excellent battery life and I like the weight and footprint it has on my wrist. I like the graysacle of the Instinct and Traverse.

I like Garmin Connect and the ability to track my workouts. The oximeter is on the newer instinct and would come in handy for the workouts, but haven't missed it from the Fenix.

Fenix is huge and the Traverse's bezel wasn't recessed enough and was getting too beat up.

Just my .02 and trying to get my count up so I can respond to your Rage broadhead post so I can buy them from you. :)

OP
G

Greyes

WKR
Hey guys, thanks for all the input! Lots to consider when buying a GPS watch! I’ll definitely be crossing the Core off the list and looking in to the Traverse Alpha and a Fenix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P Carter

WKR
I have the suunto 9 baro and really like it. Battery life is great, it tracks really well, the altimeter is great and navigation is a breeze. I considered the farming family but decided that the extra features weren’t useful to me. Im sure they are good as well if I like the suunto 9. I briefly thought about the traverse alpha but concluded that the hinting-specific features were not useful. Plus my main use is for a workout/running watch, but it is also great to have in the backcountry.

OP
G

Greyes

WKR
The most functional, and simplistic watch I have is the Garmin Instinct. Excellent battery life and I like the weight and footprint it has on my wrist. I like the graysacle of the Instinct and Traverse.

I like Garmin Connect and the ability to track my workouts. The oximeter is on the newer instinct and would come in handy for the workouts, but haven't missed it from the Fenix.

Fenix is huge and the Traverse's bezel wasn't recessed enough and was getting too beat up.

Just my .02 and trying to get my count up so I can respond to your Rage broadhead post so I can buy them from you. :)
Hey there, I sent you a PM about the Rage Broadheads. They are still available for ya.

I've had the Traverse Alpha for 5 years. I agree with most of the comments about it. It's a decent watch with useful functionality.

I have had a Garmin Instinct Solar for 2 months and I like it better for everything outdoors and training related. Much more intuitive on the controls. Better battery life with the solar face. No additional equipment needed for heart rate. Lighter, better band, still supported with software updates.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a big watch nerd or anything but I have the traverse alpha and I like it. Batt life is great, easy to use. Agree with the hunting function, useless, if you fart it will drop a pin. I like the band though, very durable and breaths.

OP
G

Greyes

WKR
I ended up finding a very lightly used Garmin Instinct for pretty cheap. I did like the fit and finish of it better than the Suunto’s. And from what I have read it preforms all the basic functions I would want from it, without the Fenix price tag. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk