SW CO Elk Hunters?

I'm planning a solo trip to SW Colorado for Sept archery, 7-10 days, depending on how work is looking, in the 10-20 timeframe. This will be my first elk hunt, but not my first trip to CO. I was in central CO last November for 3rd season muleys, and saw squat. Not wanting to repeat that experience, I'm ideally looking for someone knowledgeable about the Rico/Dunton area, and the lizard head wilderness. I'm excited about a few spots I have nailed down via e-scouting, but would really appreciate a few PMs or a phone call, with some advice as to the validity of my ideas. My goal is to find 3 spots that, due to a lack of elk, or excess of humans, I can fall back on. A,B,C.

In my mind, I'm looking for areas at least ~3 miles off the road system (anymore than that and I'm concerned about my ability to get an elk off the mountain by myself within my timeframe) with altitude (>10k'), water, a bench/meadow or two, and dark, nasty cover. However, my knowledge of the subject is limited to the thousands of rokslide posts, and other forums I've read. I plan on going in as light as possible and bivvy camping nearby whenever (read *if*) I see/hear/smell elk, and following them around that way.

I'm also considering dropping the coin for the elk101 university, and was wondering if any y'all who have been around the block recommend it.

I'd rather find a spot that I'm excited about, and hear some positive words from the vets than learn of anybody else's, for clarification.

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate you taking the time to read my post.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Not entirely familiar with the area but you might reconsider. East of Rico there are two large wildfires burning currently. Somewhere around 40,000 acres combined. If you focus more on lizard head pass I think you’ll be in the clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to remember is have multiple plans. Hunting a OTC area you could have all kinds of people on top of you one year, and none the next. Be prepared to move, and no matter how far you go in there is going to be someone thinking the same thing.

Leviwhite

FNG
Were you up near the kilpacker basin? I'm headed there next weekend. Curious how it has changed since our recon in August.

kevin476

FNG
Were you up near the kilpacker basin? I'm headed there next weekend. Curious how it has changed since our recon in August.

The area is snow covered and cold right now. Kilpacker is pretty popular so I’m sure there will be plenty of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leviwhite

FNG
I anticipated seeing a few climbers. Hoped to be less likely in the mix with hunters that far up. I know it's inevitable though.