SW Draw Unit vs OTC

Looking for some opinions on what choice those with experience would make. Both of these areas would be places I’ve never stepped foot in or have experience in FYI...

When I purchased my PP for the year I also put in 2nd choice for one of the new SW units that went to a draw unit in 2020. I wasn’t sure what the chances would be to draw being the first year and honestly just put in for it as an option.

Before I put in for my PP I had already made the decision to do an OTC hunt this year in an area with multiple units with varying terrain, elevation, and access points to give myself plenty of choices and room to do enough E-Scouting for plans A-Z if elk aren’t where I am.The 2 main OTC units I was focusing on have decent herd numbers but for sure better bull to cow ratio’s than the SW units I drew but also come with considerable more pressure. As well as access to the heart of the SW units would absolutely require a packer to get game off the mountain. Where as the OTC is close enough to trailheads to do it myself if I manage to seal the deal.

Just for conversations sake what would your choice be.

apkleinschmidt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat. I thought the SW units would have considerably less tags than there were OTC hunters in seasons past but the number of tags appears to be just below last season's number of OTC hunters (if my math is correct).

I'm still leaning towards the SW units but I'm not sure I can articulate a persuasive argument as to why other than they are closer and I find some comfort in knowing a fixed amount of tags vs. not knowing how many OTC hunters will show up in other units.

Think of it like reverse psychology:

Anyone who comments with, “SW units are the way to go” is someone who hunts the OTC units.

Anyone who comments with, “OTC units are the way to go” is someone who hunts the SW units.

With that being said, I have no comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can get a cow tag , the SW units are decent. But the bull numbers are dismal. I have a cabin there and am not going to hunt there next fall.