SW Montana experience, and Little Belt Hunter Numbers

S.Clancy

WKR
Consider this:
Region 3 (SW MT) has ~60,000 elk. The fact that you didn't see an elk during the time of year when they are most vocal/active means you were nowhere near good elk habitat, regardless of distance from a road or trailhead.

You need to focus on what good elk habitat is and they're behavior based on season. If you dont know, there is plenty of books/podcasts/whatever you have access to.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think a single person in this thread said you couldn't kill elk there. He is specifically asking for a place to get away from roads and ATV's and that is what people are responding to (at least that's what my response was about).

If you've never been....the little belts are absolutely crawling with roads and ATV trails which is why it is one of the PRIME places people in MT go with their ATV's to go tearing through the mountains.
I didnt say no elk are getting killed either. I'm saying despite comments around lots of crowds,atvs, etc - people are still killing elk in those units. You may not be able to get away from crowds but it doesnt necessarily mean the elk arent there

Tony2000

FNG
Most people I've encountered that drive atvs around drive to the top of a ridge and bugle and listen for 5min and keep driving

Tony2000

FNG
I hunted the little belts for years and my experience was that when the elk heard an atv they stopped bugling for at least 30min. That was archery season so there wasn't quite as may people but still a lot