Swaro 1.7 extender

JBivens

FNG
I am curious if any one has used this and what they thought? I have used doublers before on Canon glass, and frankly wasn’t really impressed.

Last edited:

Napperm4

WKR
It works better than any other doubler I’ve used before. Since it goes behind the eyepiece and doesn’t clamp on I don’t find it affecting image quality at all.

Of course heat waves at max magnification become a concern and it does dim out the image slightly but not overly noticeably.

I’ve only used it on my 65/95 stx. I’ve heard it’s even better on the BTX which I think it was intended for.

I tend not to use it when hunting so much because of the length it adds and I haven’t found a stay on case that will accommodate it fully assembled. Great for scouting and digiscoping though.

It works pretty good with both the ATX and the BTX. There is some brightness loss and I feel the edge clarity gets degraded.

But I use it more for identification purposes and not for glassing a hillside. And for this, it works pretty darn good.

It is great with a BTX65mm and when you spot your game, you can throw it on and get a much better look.

3forks

WKR
I'd agree with the others who have posted in this thread.

I used the following to take the video below:
Swarovski ATX 25x60x65
Swarovski 1.7 Magnification Extender
Phone Skope with Bluetooth Shutter
iPhone 6s
Tripod: Promaster XC525c
Head: Outdoorsmans Micro panhead
Video taken 11/28
Time of day: 4:15 PM
Temperature: 43 degrees
Mostly sunny with low humidity and wind
Power: 100
Distance 3.25 miles (measured with onX maps)
*change the playback quality to 720HD for the most accurate example of the image.
[video=youtube_share;PfqUIgr4VnY]

tranathi

FNG
Does anybody notice any increase in CA issue with the 1.7x entender? I saw one example on Youtube and it was pretty bad - the outline of the deer is almost purple. I’ll have to look it up and post link in here if I can find it again.

I have not encountered that particular issue yet.

It's going to get a ton of use this preseason, so I will let you know.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one when I got my BTX a few years ago and have only used it a few times. With the ATX in the 65/95 you really loose alot of light because the exit pupil gets so small. The image is really good but not as good as without it. You don't loose as much with the BTX but honestly I would rather have a reducer than a magnifier and rarely find a real use for it. We do some long range shooting which it is pretty awesome for but you need a super solid tripod and if its windy good luck!

Jeff O

FNG

Swarovski ATX 25x60x65
iPhone 6s
Video taken 11/28
*change the playback quality to 720HD for the most accurate example of the image.
That is really clear for a 3.25 mile video but has any noticed a loss of clarity in low light situations?

Drop_Tine

FNG

Swarovski ATX 25x60x65
iPhone 6s
Video taken 11/28
Thanks for posting this 3forks. Do you have any other still images with the extender on the ATX 65mm? I'm ready to buy this spotter but just hoping to see some pictures with a 1.7 extender installed.

Drop_Tine

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I own the BTX 95 with the 1.7 ME. I have only used it a handful of times in the last 4-5 years. The reason for the little use is the mirage. Unless it's dead of winter or middle of night it seems that the mirage factor ruins the image for me and creates eye strain.

Funny thing is that in the summer, even though it is warmer, at night the mirage effect goes away. So we use our spotter as a telescope to look at stars and planets with the 1.7 ME.

Another thing I have found is that I really like having a "low" magnification on the spotter. It helps with eye strain. Kinda like I've found in my old age that I prefer 5-6 max power scopes over 20-25 max mag. To each their own...