Swaro 10x42el or 10x50

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
So you guys helped bigtime with my spotter question and I found a good deal for a swaro 65. Now to complete my glass setup I am debating either 10x42 els or the 10x50s. Im not concerned with the weight of the 50s as they are on par with mavens I have that I am selling. But there is a big price difference. Im wanting to use them on a tripod as well and want to make sure they are good in lowlight as they will be my main glass other than the 65 spotter. Will the 50s be way more superior to the 42s for lowlight? I know cry once buy once but they are about 800 dollars in difference. If the 50s are way better then im fine going that route. I do have the 15x56s I could use in lowlight as well in conjunction with the 10s but trying to not pack those if either the 42s or 50s work well.

Lastly I might even consider the 8.5x42s as I have developed a slight tremor. Has anyone ever ran the 8.5 on a tripod as well? Even worth it or just good for handholding? Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

kcm2

WKR
10x42 Kahles for me, never needed brighter. I've only had them since 1998 so maybe I might not have enough time in the woods with them.

Last edited:

OMB

WKR
42's for sure. I just can't imagine any situation where I'd need to size up to 50's with Swaro binos where it's worth the extra bulk/weight/price.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone also tried the 8.5x42s as well? Only curious as I have developed a hand tremor late in life. The 10s I want for a tripod etc but are the 8.5s on a tripod almost as good? Just dont want to suffer with too small of power on a tripod if im running one bino and a small spotter.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
If I could choose, I’d take the 10x50. It seems to me that when I really need the binos is always in the very last minutes of light and any slight advantage would be welcome.

That said, they are at different price points, and I would probably go to an NL Pure instead if I were seriously considering the 10x50 since the price jump isn’t that extreme between those two.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone also tried the 8.5x42s as well? Only curious as I have developed a hand tremor late in life. The 10s I want for a tripod etc but are the 8.5s on a tripod almost as good? Just dont want to suffer with too small of power on a tripod if im running one bino and a small spotter.
Surprised how much detail I get with 8.5s on a tripod. An excellent all rounder.

JakeSCH

WKR

I had both at one point earlier this year. I liked the fov, low light, and holding ability of the 8.5x42 significantly more so I sold off the 10x.

This week I sold the 8.5's since I got the 10x NL's. I would say out to a 1000y's you aren't losing a ton with the step down in power, so it depends on the terrain you hunt.

If I could choose, I’d take the 10x50. It seems to me that when I really need the binos is always in the very last minutes of light and any slight advantage would be welcome.

That said, they are at different price points, and I would probably go to an NL Pure instead if I were seriously considering the 10x50 since the price jump isn’t that extreme between those two.
Only works if your scope (assuming rifle and not archery) has even better glass and you can make out the target animal. Not a big deal in the AM but is in the PM.

Seeing animals after legal light is nice for planning the next day but does you no good that day.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
Only works if your scope (assuming rifle and not archery) has even better glass and you can make out the target animal. Not a big deal in the AM but is in the PM.

Seeing animals after legal light is nice for planning the next day but does you no good that day.
I agree if your sole concern is identifying your target for making the kill. Either option should do fine at getting you to the end of legal shooting light. I have 10x42, and it serves this purpose.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider

I pm'd you a quick question. Thanks

Wheels

WKR
I had 10x42 EL's and sold them for the 8.5x42's, really like the increased field of view on the 8.5's. The glass is the same and the decrease in power is minimal in my opinion. Great for finding animals and will pull out the spotter if I need a better look.

tdot

WKR
8.5x42 would be my choice. Lower power bino's are great on a tripod, huge FOV, super bright and the handhold is noticeably better vs the 10x.

Sako300

WKR
Would the 10x50 el allow a few minutes of extra viewing light compared to the 42 in 10 power? I’m going thru the same dilemma with the 42 objective NLS and the 50 ELs.

10x50 is for hunting in Europe by moonlight. Just ask yourself if you've ever heard someone complain that they wish their Swaro 10x42s were brighter...

Try them out if you can. The 10x50 are exceptional, as are the 12x50. Nothing wrong with the 42mm objectives either. You will not have issues with any of the above during legal shooting hours. Most likely your scope will run out of light before your binos.