Swaro 12s or 15s?

I am looking to buy a really nice pair of binoculars. I am from out West and spend lots of time watching deer, elk, and bears. I have the Vortex Diamondback 10x42s and have loved them but feel it is time for an upgrade. I am a college student so money isn’t abundant but I want the best glass I can get.
I have been seriously considering the Swarovski EL 12x50s or the Swarovski SLC 15x56s. Any suggestions on what you feel are better? I like the 12s because I can freehand and put on a tripod where you can’t do that with the 15s.
Should I be considering any other glass?

BluMtn

WKR
I have the 12EL's. I have never looked through a pair of 15's so can't comment on them, but I carry my 12's everywhere. I use them in timber looking through trees and on the open ridges. My personal opinion is they are the perfect glass for western hunting.

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. Both have sharp colors and excellent resolution, more than what your eyes can see. Colors are slightly better in Els but SLC has more magnification. Both have tight eye relief but ELs are slightly better. Trust me, after walking or even just holding them for few minutes both will shake. So you need tripod for both.
Make your decision based on if you want more magnification or you want light weight. I would say go with SLC 15s and save money as more magnification is the biggest point in favor.
I could not decide so I have both. But 12 Els are hardly used now.

OP
H
I have the 12EL's. I have never looked through a pair of 15's so can't comment on them, but I carry my 12's everywhere. I use them in timber looking through trees and on the open ridges. My personal opinion is they are the perfect glass for western hunting.
Thank you for your input. That is exactly what I was thinking. If I could afford 10s, 12s, and 15s I would get them all, but I just can’t do that at this point in my life. The 12s just seemed to fit every situation the best.
Thanks

OP
H
I have both. Both have sharp colors and excellent resolution, more than what your eyes can see. Colors are slightly better in Els but SLC has more magnification. Both have tight eye relief but ELs are slightly better. Trust me, after walking or even just holding them for few minutes both will shake. So you need tripod for both.
Make your decision based on if you want more magnification or you want light weight. I would say go with SLC 15s and save money as more magnification is the biggest point in favor.
I could not decide so I have both. But 12 Els are hardly used now.
Really? This is great feedback. Thank you! I feel like you make a good point. They are both such great glass. I can see how you are saying you might be splitting hairs between the quality but it seems to me the 15s are almost always a couple hundred bucks cheaper.
Thanks

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered the NL Pure 12x42 a couple of weeks ago.

I hunt mainly in CO (elk, mule deer, antelope) and in TX (whitetail and hogs), and I think the 12's will be perfect for me.

Keep your 10x42s and get the 15x56s. Then you have a good freehand bino and a good tripod bino. Upgrade the 10x42s when you get a high paying job from your college degree. I run EL 10x42s and a tripod with 15x56slc. Having 2 pairs gives you more versatility and is a really good combo. If you only want 1 pair of binos then you could make the 12s work. JMHO.

TSimons9

FNG
I upgraded to 12x50 EL's last year. Best decision of my hunting life for sure. Even glassing wide open coues country I think that the 12's are hard to beat. That being said I haven't glassed with high end 15's. EL's are popping up often in the classifieds now days since the NL's came out, definitely keep your eyes out for a used pair.

OP
H
I upgraded to 12x50 EL's last year. Best decision of my hunting life for sure. Even glassing wide open coues country I think that the 12's are hard to beat. That being said I haven't glassed with high end 15's. EL's are popping up often in the classifieds now days since the NL's came out, definitely keep your eyes out for a used pair.
Thanks for the input. Yeah I have been watching the classifieds but I am a new member so I still can’t comment yet. But I am keeping my eye out. Thanks for the insight.

Bobinbend

FNG
I have the ELs12. Great glass in all aspects...but I am thinking about going to the 15s. I seldom (actually, never) count points, if I think he is "big enough", I just go. I think the additional horsepower of the 15s just may be worth it. IMO, free handing 12s or even 10s is difficult at best. For a quick peak that works, but if you are really glassing a tripod is necessary.

Dinger

WKR
I own both (NL's & latest gen SLC)...I find the 15's get you closer but the 12's let me resolve more. The 12's are also lightweight, fit in any standard bino harness and can pull double duty for stalking and glassing sessions. I bush hunt with 8's and would pick them over the 12's unless I'm on a backpack hunt.... then the 12's are an incredible weight saving ie 8's + 15's or just the 12's.

The extra FOV of the 12's over the 15's doesn't suck either. I have my 15's back in the original box and will be selling them.